what lake would you live on

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

If money were no object and you could pick any lake in MN to live on, what would it be?

I’m thinking Kapatogama for me. Beautiful, Big water, great fishing.

Brett Erickson
    Maple Grove,MN

Maybe Leech for me. Thats a verrrry hard question to answer

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Christmas lake. shock

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I would love to have a house on the mighty Miss. in the Monticello, Ostego, Elk River area where it stays open for most of the year. With all the swans, ducks, and other flying animals in the area its gorgeous just sitting and watching.
    Plus something about moving water, hearing it gurgle across a rock bar is just as soothing as hearing waves wash up on shore.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Kabetogama, Namakin, Crane, or Rainy. I know you said one but these are all connected so……….. smile

dbright
    Cambridge

The upper St Croix between hwy 70 and Nelson’s landing. The head of the kettle river slough or the confluence of the kettle Croix would be more specific.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Minnetonka… then sell it and get 4 places on some smaller lakes scattered up north devil

GoldWinger

Lake of the Woods or Rainy for me

hl&sinker
    Inactive
    north fowl

I would move up to the lake cabin on Sand lake by Winni. Be even closer to Fowl lake for vaction time. I love living close to the St.Croix but its getting rather crowded with urban sprawl and all. In a few years after the new bridge is constructed its only going to get worst in a hurry.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I think I would choose Pokegama at Grand Rapids. Great largemouth and smallmouth fishing just about any a person wants to try and catch them.

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Flambeau Chain in Wisconsin!!

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Minnetonka… then sell it and get 4 places on some smaller lakes scattered up north devil

I fished Minnetonka last night with a friend, and as we were looking at all those houses out there, we said the exact same thing if we had that kind of money.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

I’m on Leech. Absolutely no regrets here.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I would probably want to be on Gull if you are saying LIVE on. It is big enough, multi-species, deep, sandy and close to a decend sized city.

After spending many long weekends at Vermilion, the people that live up there turn a little goofy.

FryDog62

To LIVE would either be Minnetonka (because its near where I work), or if farther away I would say a chain of lakes like in Alexandria. A chain offers variety, bigger and smaller lakes, able to get out of the wind, long pontoon rides through multiple lakes/channels with the family, etc…

Timmy

Rainy/kab/superior in no particular order.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Rainy River, St. Croix River, Columbia River.

Hoping to find a job close to Stillwater in the near future.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’m probably the oddball here, wouldn’t be the first time, but the conventional MN lakeshore home/cabin thing doesn’t appeal to me at all. Living cheek by jowl crammed together as so many lakes have become these days. The boat wakes, the jetski noise, the constant shoreline habitat destruction that the DNR and the county/local government agencies never seem to address for fear of offending the wealthy lakeshore owners, etc, etc.

The only lakeshore property I’d want to own would be a Canadian cabin with water access only and not a neighbor within sight.

I don’t want anything to do with owning a ringside seat at the bedlam that the vast majority of MN lakes have become and a lot of this situation has been caused by overdevelopment of the lakeshore. I don’t want to be a contributor to that problem.

Grouse

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Okay, money no object can we say lakes instead of lake?

If one lake, I do like the suggestion of Gull. My folks have a place there. It’s a good all around location day in day out living ex: social, proximity to a major city, plus a ton of lakes.

If multiple, one in the metro say one of the lesser used bays on Tonka. Then that Rainy/Kab border water. Something isolated. This way I’m not doing 6 months of hard winter way up north as the goofy comment above pointed out.

If you give me a little more freedom here’s how I’ve answered the question for years. Tonka and north arm of rainy. I’ve even got my boats picked out for the imaginary day where I win the lotto toast

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

For sure lake vermilion. By far one of the coolest lakes I have been on although, the Canadian side of lake of the woods is a little more nice.

elk_addict
    Northern IA/Lincoln Lakes Area

I don’t want anything to do with owning a ringside seat at the bedlam that the vast majority of MN lakes have become and a lot of this situation has been caused by overdevelopment of the lakeshore. I don’t want to be a contributor to that problem.

Grouse

[/quote]

Hello Grouse,
    We still have many lakes in Minnesota that are not over developed and if you look hard, you can still have your privacy.

Don’t you live in a congested, overpopulated city? lol Calm down and go fishing. peace

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

As long as I get to pick a dream shot, one of the lakes off of the north end of Gun-flint trail. The further off, the better. waytogo

Second-On Superior(north shore) NEAR the Gunflint. smirk

-Rev

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Okay, money no object can we say lakes instead of lake?

If one lake, I do like the suggestion of Gull. My folks have a place there. It’s a good all around location day in day out living ex: social, proximity to a major city, plus a ton of lakes.

If multiple, one in the metro say one of the lesser used bays on Tonka. Then that Rainy/Kab border water. Something isolated. This way I’m not doing 6 months of hard winter way up north as the goofy comment above pointed out.

If you give me a little more freedom here’s how I’ve answered the question for years. Tonka and north arm of rainy. I’ve even got my boats picked out for the imaginary day where I win the lotto toast

Hittin the lotto, how hard can it be? You just have to match 6 numbers.LOL
    But same here, I already have plans for my cabin drawn up.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Joe the Fisher, the LdF chain would be a great choice for WI, but this was a MN question… So for me, it would be a tough choice… Almost was a business owner on ML and as intrigued as I am by that lake, I was really impressed with Leech the one time we were on it, plus lots of lakes nearby to enjoy as well… And I have always been enamored by Rainy Lake and the rest of the boundary lakes down towards Vermillion.

Personally my ashes are going out on a South breeze over Lake Tomahawk up here, but I still love the Flambeau Chain… Be out there in less than a week…

Mark

Shammy

The most under-rated lake in our state. Lake Bemidji.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I try and fish as much new water as possible every year, and while I have a LOT of lakes still on my list, I feel I’ve been on a good cross section of the state. With Fishing (walleye) and fishability (ability to get out fishing) as my most important feature, followed by privacy, and proximity to other quality fishing options. I would probably go Rainy, Vermillion, and Leech as 1, 2, 3. All of these lakes offer the ability to have your own piece of land, without an immediate neighbor messing with you. Great fishing year round, and always somewhere to be out of the wind (this DQ’d the MN portion of LOW, MLacs, and Red for me). With that said there are about 12,456 lakes I would take a spot on if anyone is offering! toast

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Christmas lake. shock

Cmon. Nothin? Really? moon

Id be torn between a great recreational lake/area and a great fishing lake. If I’m gonna live on it I’d almost rather play on it than fish. There are so many different species and methods I like fish. No one place, LOTW is close, has them all. I’m not so sure tubing or wakeboarding would be much fun up there.

So to answer your question. I don’t know.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.