Decoys

• riverrunt
    champlin MN

Hi I need to buy some canada goose decoys I need floaters Im looking to spend under 100. bucks I was looking at Flanbeau , featherlites the inflatable , and herter’s . Any feed back would be great likes or dislikes . thanks RR

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

Coots, all coots, buy at least four dozen, you don’t need anything else!!!!!!!!!!!! At least that’s how we hunt ’em in IA

sean-lyons

Coots, all coots, buy at least four dozen, you don’t need anything else!!!!!!!!!!!! At least that’s how we hunt ’em in IA

kris_brantner
    My river

well i am sorrry to say your two choices are about the two worst brands of decoys they make. go with the big foot floaters. you get 4 for 79 dollars and they come with flocked heads now. they look better than the ghg even imho and they will LAST! i have had mine for 3 years now and there is absolutly nothing wrong and BARELY any paint chipping off and i am hard on my decoys

kris_brantner
    My river

well i am sorrry to say your two choices are about the two worst brands of decoys they make. go with the big foot floaters. you get 4 for 79 dollars and they come with flocked heads now. they look better than the ghg even imho and they will LAST! i have had mine for 3 years now and there is absolutly nothing wrong and BARELY any paint chipping off and i am hard on my decoys

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

Paint on a Flambaeu decoy is like oil on water. The paint will only last about three weeks before chipping off. They will get you buy if you need to save money, but if you are in for the long haul, spend the money and save yourself down the road. Atleast the mallard decoys are molded out of black plastic and can be converted to Bluebill decoys down the road.

I haven’t really noticed or have tried to hunt over several goose floaters. I usually only put out 4-6 goose floaters with my duck spreads.

My economical choice would be G&H. I think it is beneficial to mix in different size decoys for geese. I like a mix of sizes. Seems more realistic to me with the young birds in the flock.

Mallard

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

Paint on a Flambaeu decoy is like oil on water. The paint will only last about three weeks before chipping off. They will get you buy if you need to save money, but if you are in for the long haul, spend the money and save yourself down the road. Atleast the mallard decoys are molded out of black plastic and can be converted to Bluebill decoys down the road.

I haven’t really noticed or have tried to hunt over several goose floaters. I usually only put out 4-6 goose floaters with my duck spreads.

My economical choice would be G&H. I think it is beneficial to mix in different size decoys for geese. I like a mix of sizes. Seems more realistic to me with the young birds in the flock.

Mallard

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Did’nt I just sell you 4 this spring?

chappy
    Hastings, MN

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

Quote:

Yep, but they we’re well taken care of. The goose decoys are not as bad because they are soo dark anyway. The older flambaeu duck dekes aren’t too bad it is the new ones that kind of stink. I should post a picture of the flock. I have been retying all the decoy lines and redoing weights for the last four nights. I think I have around 8 or 9 dozen done and about 4 more dozen to go. My finger tips are getting soar from tying the lines. I even recruited Big D’s kids to help me out the other night.

I like playing the numbers game with ducks. It doesn’t matter too much what they look like as long as you have a lot of them.

MM

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

Quote:

Yep, but they we’re well taken care of. The goose decoys are not as bad because they are soo dark anyway. The older flambaeu duck dekes aren’t too bad it is the new ones that kind of stink. I should post a picture of the flock. I have been retying all the decoy lines and redoing weights for the last four nights. I think I have around 8 or 9 dozen done and about 4 more dozen to go. My finger tips are getting soar from tying the lines. I even recruited Big D’s kids to help me out the other night.

I like playing the numbers game with ducks. It doesn’t matter too much what they look like as long as you have a lot of them.

MM

riverrunt
    champlin MN

Sean are you saying you put out coot decoys and this brings in gease ? I dont care to atract any coots I let one of my kids shoot one when we were duck hunting it was only 20′ a way but it didnt seem to have much meat , I told the kids not to shoot any more of them . Is there some thing useful you can use them for ? I Just started Duck hunting three years a go so I realy don’t know.

Thank’s every one you have been very helpful I think I will go with G&H or big foot . I should go look for some this weekend other wise I will have to order them so they get here in time for early goose .

riverrunt
    champlin MN

Sean are you saying you put out coot decoys and this brings in gease ? I dont care to atract any coots I let one of my kids shoot one when we were duck hunting it was only 20′ a way but it didnt seem to have much meat , I told the kids not to shoot any more of them . Is there some thing useful you can use them for ? I Just started Duck hunting three years a go so I realy don’t know.

Thank’s every one you have been very helpful I think I will go with G&H or big foot . I should go look for some this weekend other wise I will have to order them so they get here in time for early goose .

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

I believe you can buy G&H, and other brands at Fleet Farm. I did a closer inspection of my goose floaters last night. The older flambaeu floaters were pretty good yet. I did have one magnum flambaeu with the removable head and keel that I had to JB Weld the head onto because the plastic was bad.

A lot of guys actually will use a few coot decoys in their spread for confidence decoys. Another good decoy to have is a crane. These guys give the illusion that the area is safe and may help commit the more weary birds. I don’t think too many people shoot coots, but then again, I’m not from Iowa.

Good luck,
    MM

mallard_militia
    Fulton County, Illinois

I believe you can buy G&H, and other brands at Fleet Farm. I did a closer inspection of my goose floaters last night. The older flambaeu floaters were pretty good yet. I did have one magnum flambaeu with the removable head and keel that I had to JB Weld the head onto because the plastic was bad.

A lot of guys actually will use a few coot decoys in their spread for confidence decoys. Another good decoy to have is a crane. These guys give the illusion that the area is safe and may help commit the more weary birds. I don’t think too many people shoot coots, but then again, I’m not from Iowa.

Good luck,
    MM

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Fleet Farm started carrying Final Approach goose dekes this year……The floaters look SWEET (fully flocked heads), but they’ll still run ya $90 for a 4 pack.

You can’t beat the Big Foots for floating goose dekes…..Those things are awesome!!! Similar price…..but probably more durable.

GHG look dang good too……but you might have to baby them a bit more as is common with most of the Avery stuff .

In my opion, G&H has really fallen behind in the decoy market the last couple years…..haven’t come out with new/more realistic body styles or flocked heads to compete with the Avery’s of the world…..and they are more expensive …….their quality is always going to be good though as I believe they are still American made.

Flambeau is definatly at the bottom of the barrel with their goose floaters……but will work on a budget.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Fleet Farm started carrying Final Approach goose dekes this year……The floaters look SWEET (fully flocked heads), but they’ll still run ya $90 for a 4 pack.

You can’t beat the Big Foots for floating goose dekes…..Those things are awesome!!! Similar price…..but probably more durable.

GHG look dang good too……but you might have to baby them a bit more as is common with most of the Avery stuff .

In my opion, G&H has really fallen behind in the decoy market the last couple years…..haven’t come out with new/more realistic body styles or flocked heads to compete with the Avery’s of the world…..and they are more expensive …….their quality is always going to be good though as I believe they are still American made.

Flambeau is definatly at the bottom of the barrel with their goose floaters……but will work on a budget.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Jake,

I agree with your assesment on G&H. That is all we used to buy. Everything from our ducks to gees were G&H. (Mostly there Mags.) If they were to update there paint and add som more designs I would probably go back. (Due to there durabitily.) I have NO problem paying for the quality.

But at this point I will stick with my GHG due to price and paint.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Jake,

I agree with your assesment on G&H. That is all we used to buy. Everything from our ducks to gees were G&H. (Mostly there Mags.) If they were to update there paint and add som more designs I would probably go back. (Due to there durabitily.) I have NO problem paying for the quality.

But at this point I will stick with my GHG due to price and paint.

sean-lyons

Iowan’s Coot Recipe

1. Take the coot, a beer and a tack hammer and set them on your picnic table or workbench.

2. Drink the beer.

3. Tenderize the coot (Still Feathered) w/ the tack hammer for approximately ten minutes.

4. Look at the coot, if you still want to eat it, repeat step two as many times as are necessary (You’ll eventually lose interest)

sean-lyons

Iowan’s Coot Recipe

1. Take the coot, a beer and a tack hammer and set them on your picnic table or workbench.

2. Drink the beer.

3. Tenderize the coot (Still Feathered) w/ the tack hammer for approximately ten minutes.

4. Look at the coot, if you still want to eat it, repeat step two as many times as are necessary (You’ll eventually lose interest)

riverrunt
    champlin MN

Well that explanes the coot thing allthough the bird it self is still a mistery they seem to be one of God’s littel jokes that I dont get .

Sonds like I need to get to Fleet farm I went to cabela’s and gander didnt want to buy utill I have been to fleet farm. RR

riverrunt
    champlin MN

Well that explanes the coot thing allthough the bird it self is still a mistery they seem to be one of God’s littel jokes that I dont get .

Sonds like I need to get to Fleet farm I went to cabela’s and gander didnt want to buy utill I have been to fleet farm. RR

Tonto1
    W & E Wi

I purchased a dozen G&H mallards M4S. When I un-wrapped the bags around the head the eyes came off. I did this to 4 of them and one or both the eyes came off of all 4. I email the manufacture a yesterday morning and still haven’t received a response.

Tonto1
    W & E Wi

I purchased a dozen G&H mallards M4S. When I un-wrapped the bags around the head the eyes came off. I did this to 4 of them and one or both the eyes came off of all 4. I email the manufacture a yesterday morning and still haven’t received a response.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.