Trolling motor batteries

• sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I am in need of a new set of deep cycles form my trolling motor. In the past I just got the cheapest ones. They last a year or two then are junk. I don’t want to spend $200 plus per battery, but is it worth it to get a little better ones? What is the main thing you look for in a battery? Amp hours? Since it’s a deep cycle do cranking amps or cold cranking amps matter? I have a Motorguide Xi5 80lb thrust in a 24 volt system. Need 2 new batteries. Thanks for any input.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

I’ve had really good luck with the Fleet Farm Resolute
    deep cycles.

On a set from 2012 right now.

Anybody else try these?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I get years of use out of “cheap” batteries, certainly more than two years. How are you charging them?

SR

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

You’re going to get a bunch of different suggestions but I’ve had great luck with Deka marine master batteries.

Model #: DC31DT

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

You’re going to get a bunch of different suggestions but I’ve had great luck with Deka marine master batteries.

Model #: DC31DT

Key is getting 31’s. More amp hours.

munchy
    NULL

I’ve had really good luck with the Fleet Farm Resolute
    deep cycles.

On a set from 2012 right now.

Anybody else try these?

Fleet Farm brand is my choice as well. From what I have heard there are only a couple battery manufacturers in the US so they are all basically the same anyway, and you are more so just paying for the name on the big brands.

Key is to keep them charged. If you let them die over winter consider them dead or severely damaged.

Jonesy

I have 2 series 27 farm and fleet batteries going into their second season. No issues so far and I only paid about 60ish dollars per battery. I keep them plugged in 100% of the time when not in use to a minn kota charger.

dbright
    Cambridge

The only deep cycles I buy are from fleet farm. Keep the water topped off and they hold up 4+ years. I did have a starting battery go bad from them but they replaced it without any hassle.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Interstate group 29’s for me on my 4 year !

benelli-bob
    Eagan, MN

Stickler
    I purchased Cabelas group 27 AGM batteries I did not like spending the money. Then figured well if Im spending this much money on batteries I better treat them good with a proper charger or my investment is wasted. Im on year 3 of the Cabelas AGM and Minnkota charger MK330D

The only reason I bought the AGM’s is that one of them would mount to an uneven surface Otherwise I would go with a wet cell. The most important thing you can do with batteries is to try not to drain them too often below 50% (so buy larger ones if you have room) Charge them as soon as possible, and lastly get a good charger that is temperature compensated and is a “smart charger” Do not go cheap here. My batteries are always plugged in to the charger except when I put the boat in storage and wish I could charge them then.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Thanks for the help guys. I must confess in the past I have used my old trolling motor very little and therefor did not charge the batteries very often at all. With the new trolling motor I also got a good on board charger and will use and charge the batteries often.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Thanks for the help guys. I must confess in the past I have used my old trolling motor very little and therefor did not charge the batteries very often at all. With the new trolling motor I also got a good on board charger and will use and charge the batteries often.

I think you’ll be a lot happier with the new setup. Basically all of these batteries use the same chemistry (lead and acid) so there isn’t that big of a difference between them.

NONE of them like sitting around discharged.

They’re all happier when they’re charged up. Think about the battery in your truck or car…it get’s topped off every time you run the engine. I mounted an on-board charger in my boat, one of the Minnkota “smart chargers”. When I park the boat I plug it in and walk away.

SR

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Stickler
    The most important thing you can do with batteries is to try not to drain them too often below 50% (so buy larger ones if you have room) Charge them as soon as possible, and lastly get a good charger that is temperature compensated and is a “smart charger” Do not go cheap here. My batteries are always plugged in to the charger except when I put the boat in storage and wish I could charge them then.

Three good points here. Don’t drain batteries down, recharge asap, use a smart charger. I’ll add, check the water level regularly, at least monthly if you use your boat often.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

I get Interstate batteries and they usually last 6 years or so. The Walmart brand ones that I have tried I would get about half the life of that. Interstate are more expensive, but convenience and peace of mind are also issues for me. I think the last Interstate ones I bought were around 110 a piece after discount.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I’ve currently got Northern Marine batteries in my boat aside from the Interstate starting battery. They are the 1st set of batteries I have NOT had any problems with other than Interstate, I consider the Northern batteries to be comparable to Interstate.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.