Mississippi Pool 8 Report 9/07/08

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I’m putting this report here in general because Mike C and I did a little of everything, hope you all enjoy the read

The plan was to stick some top water Northern early, then fish heavy tackle for a water spike and move on too trolling eyes/saugers.

Top water pike produced some awesome heart thumpin’ action. The first fish to show itself was a snot rocket around 24inches long. Mike C put the hooks to this fish with a med sized white spoke. After just a few more cast both of us stood very wide eyed when Mike had a pig (educated guess pushing the 40” mark) pike strike the top water bait not even yards form the boat but missed, we both watched it roll about 5yards out still looking for the bait but never showed up again after slowly sinking out of site, that was way cool stuff even without the hook up
    Mike did manage to boat this nice fish shown here. It made for fun watching toothy’s chase top water plugs. I had some good action going my self with one fish coming unbuttoned, a bite off and some boils chasing after a 5 inch storm thunder dog red/white.

For the second part of this story…..we put on some monster treble hooks and started dragging for a water spike Mike lost just the day before. We threw from ever angle hoping to get the water spike to bite but it wasn’t to be. We did catch a crap bag some campers must have thrown in, a lot of clams, some wood but the catch of the day, a beer bottle Mike hooked right in the pour hole, but do you think we could get a water spike to bite
    If anyone fishing pool 8 the first wing dam to the south of the first point past the float at Dresbach dam catches a water spike……Mike C would be grateful if you got a hold of him

Next we pulled 3-ways on the main channel looking for some eyes or sauger that might be making the fall move. A #7 Orange/Gold rapala did produce some short fish and a 15inch sauger which made a trip to Sparta for a sandwich
    The heart pounding hit of the day was this 20 carp, did I say “hit” I’m sure this fish was just minding it’s own business watching some little orange buddy coming his way when all of a sudden this little dude jumped right on his back and bit him hard Having this fish snagged by the dorsal fin made for an arm cramping fight of at least 30 minutes. At first when I seen it was a big carp I didn’t care if he came unbuttoned. After fighting this submarine for awhile though I was wanting pictures Mike did take some video, if it looks good I will post it later. This fish made for a great ending to the afternoon.

In short, there are active pike in the backwaters and some walleye/sauger action just starting up. As for water spikes ….they were tight lipped for us today

Good luck fishing people

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.