planer board trolling speed issue – trolling motor vs big motor

• lrott2003
    Wisconsin

Just purchased some planer boards and have been messing around with them.

If I troll with the boat (50 hp) slowest I can get to is about 2.2 mph.

If I run the trolling motor I can comfortably get to about 1.8. I prefer to use the trolling motor because I have the hands free remote. What is suggestion on speed? And would you all sacrifice the ability to troll at the 2.2+ just to keep using trolling motor.

Thanks in advance.

Smellson

As a general rule. Troll slower when the water is cold and speed up as the temps come up. I start the year at about 1.5mph and am often at 3.5+ by mid/late summer. Use whatever means necessary to hit the speed you want.

casey walters
    Mapleton, MN

Next time you go out try using the big motor to push you with the trolling motor down to steer, once you get used to it it’s pretty slick. Or if you want to slow down turn trolling motor sideways that drag will slow you down some too.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Next time you go out try using the big motor to push you with the trolling motor down to steer, once you get used to it it’s pretty slick. Or if you want to slow down turn trolling motor sideways that drag will slow you down some too.

1.25-5 mph is my range.

Kicker pushes, trolling motor steers.

B-man

Use both for the best control.

Main in gear and trolling motor on 3 to steer.

If you’re going too fast, trim the main up so it’s boiling up from the prop.

If it’s still too fast, use a trolling bag or 5 gallon pail with the little circle on the bottom cut out )

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If you’re going too fast, trim the main up so it’s boiling up from the prop.

Depending on your boat, trimming all the way down can also slow the boat. My boat will slow 1.0 mph by trimming all the way down as opposed to up at cruising height.

This will force the nose of your boat downward slowing your boat.

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

Thanks everyone I will work on this using your suggestions. Thanks in advance.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Before I got my terrova, I would use my troller to slow my 60 horse merc. I used to be able to go 1.8 with the troller and 2.5 with the merc, now I can go about 3 with the troller and 2.2 with the merc (turned the idle down) so I’ve got options, also have a drift sock that can be tied to the front to slow a big motor down even more. It all depends on the situation on which will work best!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.