Panoptix (Not livescope)

I held off on upgrading my ice fishing graph last year. I was originally going to buy a Helix 7, but just never pulled the trigger. I noticed that Scheels has Garmin’s regular panoptix ice bundle on sale for $1499 right now, but I’m still iffy about it. The biggest benefit I see over the Helix 7 is obviously live imaging, but is it really worth it?

Basically what I’m asking is if anybody has experience with Panoptix, or what graph you would recommend instead.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Don’t waste your money on Panoptix, you’ll kick yourself afterwards every time you see Livescope…. Check the used market for Panoptix if you’re absolutely set on getting it, I’ve seen lots for sale in the $800-1,000 range… I’ve seen used Livescope bundles for sale between $2,100-$2,500

If you’re willing to wait for the seasonal rebates and put in the work searching online, you can piece together a top of the line Livescope system for under $2,000

Panoptix is like watching somebody play Atari 2600….

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Joe’s right…if you want to invest go with the livescope.

If you are a run and gun type it’s really good. If you are sit and jig in the house guy you might not get the use out of it.

With the setup you can also run it on your boat.

Whateverbites

Yes, panoptix is not livescope, but it is a huge upgrade to any traditional 2d sonar. Traditional panoptix can also see out further than Livescope. I personally have livescope, but if panoptix is what your budget allows, I say go for it.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

I run Panoptix side by side with the brother in laws Livescope we both got them last year he’s rich I’m not it’s the best investment I’ve made in my ice fishing arsenal in many many years ! If you can swing the Panoptix bundle cost then get it. Keep all your packaging and paperwork and after your first year sell it if you want to upgrade. I run my Panoptix on my boat also just with ice bundle and a Summit pole. I can find fish with it just like when ice fishing.

EW6

I did not think panoptix was worth the money. There was considerable lag compared to a flasher and all objects looked basically the same size, so a bunch of minnows or bugs would just fill your screen making it impossible to see any fish.

TH

Has anyone converted the panoptix ice unit to livescope? Looks like they sell a kit for a conversation, or is it not worth it trying to view on a 7 inch screen. I fished with panoptix and thought it was a game changer last winter. Wish I would have just bought livescope.

gmctruxman

I think the big advantage of Panoptix over Livescope is its range. You can find fish a long ways out. Otherwise, the lag is definitely noticeable vs. A flasher. Might be better off with a used Garmin head unit and the $1500 bare Livescope. My two cents!

Eric Hammerud

Livescope is going to be my one big fishing purchase this year. I’m just afraid that next year there going to have something better and more refined. Just waiting for the best deal.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Livescope is going to be my one big fishing purchase this year. I’m just afraid that next year there going to have something better and more refined. Just waiting for the best deal.

Most of us have been saying that the last 1-2 years now…I think covid’s impact on parts and manufacturing and the lackluster competition releases have let Garmin hold off on releasing their new tech…. You can be sure that whenever they do release Livescope 2.0 it wont be cheap because it will likely require the newer more powerful head units…

JoeMX1825
    MN

If you can buy when the Garmin & BPS rebates are going on it can shave $500+ off the price, and if you dont need the GT-56 transducer you can easily sell that for $200+

DO NOT BUY THE GARMIN BUNDLES, you’re wasting $$ paying for the terrible stock battery and pole system, piece it all together individually!

Henpecked

fyi, The unit on sale at Scheels is already out dated as it’s a 73cv plus unit so you will not be able to update it. If you planned to use it open water it does not have side view capabilities. As for the Panoptix it works pretty well compared to a standard sonar and will give you a much wider directed field of view. The lag that people are complaining about can be resolved by turning the scroll speed to max. I never regretted my Panoptix when I had it, but have since upgraded to Livescope. As JoeMX said the Garmin bundles are not the best and the battery is really heavy. As bad as it sounds I would still take it over the Helix or any flasher, but that’s my opinion. You also do not need to purchase a map card as the maps are built in.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

I made my own pole and power it with a Milwaukee battery

Nick Johnson

Panoptix and livescope are game changing, but that price tag is crazy to me. Did anyone score a deal last year at a show? Or know what they were going for at ice shows?

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

So what is the difference between panoptix and live scope. Is it just the quality of the image? Or is there a lot more to it.

uninc4709

Easiest way to explain it is the panoptix is closer to traditional sonar, with some additional lag. Livescope is more comparable to down imaging with less lag. With panoptix you will need to do some more distinguishing of the radar where livescope will distinguish things for you.

Youtube will be the best way but it is night and day.

jumpingeorge

For those of you that have used panoptix, what is the depth range where you can still see a decent sized spoon? I know for Livescope it is effective down to about 70-80′. Beyond that you can see fish for a bit but not your jig. I’ve heard that the range is better with panoptix but not specifics, anyone here have experience?

Corey sunderman

I have a panoptix and buddy had a livescope. When fishing suspended fish such as basin crappies the panoptix shines. I can scan over 100 feet on a clear body of water. When fishing fish tight to structure my panoptix isn’t as good as livescope separating fish to bottom. Both are a great tool.

Jay Johnson
    Morrison, IL

Last year I picked up a like-new used ps-22 TR transducer for $450. I already had echomap 73sv and 73dv being used on my boat. I can use either unit with the ps-22 TR. I just didn’t have the funds for Livescope. What a difference between traditional 2D sonar and Panoptix. I was able to watch walleye come from the side of my hole in 20 ft of water to check out my jigging rap or jig. In 3-4 ft of water I can see perch and bluegill dart up to my jig only to move away from it. How frustrating! I’m still happy with Panoptix Fort ice fishing. I didn’t really get any benefit from it on the boat.

mojogunter

I only run panoptix in the summer on my boat. I am running the PS30 transducer. I use it mainly for watching fish come in while running down riggers, and jigging in deeper water. While jigging I haven’t noticed any delay with the PS30. Is the delay only with the forward looking tranducers?

JoeMX1825
    MN

I only run panoptix in the summer on my boat. I am running the PS30 transducer. I use it mainly for watching fish come in while running down riggers, and jigging in deeper water. While jigging I haven’t noticed any delay with the PS30. Is the delay only with the forward looking tranducers?

There is a ever so slight delay in forward/Bottom view with the LVS32 transducer, it’s miminal but its there…

Ongo

I’ve been running regular Panoptix for two seasons and have really enjoyed it versus a flasher or Helix. The detail versus livescope isn’t as good, but it’s still a useful tool. I’ve gotten on crappie bites by forward scanning to locate brush piles with two or three holes drilled instead of 20, and I’ve been on perch bites where I could see 7 unique marks and how they’re moving instead of just a blob of lines on a flasher.

Two disadvantages I see for Livescope versus Panoptix:
    1. Cost, obviously. I got my Panoptix ice bundle used for $1100. A new Livescope setup is going to be well north of $2k and there don’t seem to be many used ones available.
    2. Mobility. Both versions are already significantly heavier than a Vexilar or even a Helix ice pack. You need a larger pack to fit the Livescope black box in addition to the graph, and most people are using a 9″ graph instead of a 7″. I upgraded the standard 12AH SLA battery to an 18AH lithium battery for both weight savings and runtime improvement. It’s still not Vexilar level mobility, but it’s workable. From what I’ve seen a lot of livescope users have gone up to the 30AH battery for runtime due to larger screen and added black box power consumption.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Here’s the weight differences of the ice bundles (In these examples, the Panoptix bundle has a lithium 10ah battery, the Livescope bundle has an 18ah lithium battery)

9” Echomap Livescope Bundle = 20.5 lbs
    7” Echomap Panoptix Bundle = 13.4 lbs

I use the Livescpe bundle in my flipover as a main sonar, I then use sidescan to hole hop with a Marcum LX-6s with a Lithium 10ah battery (it only weghs 5 lbs)

Hole hopping with the Livescope bundle is absolutely doable, but you’ll get a good arm workout…I recommend using a small sled to haul around the Livescope Bundle, Auger and a few rods and tackle…

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

If you can buy when the Garmin & BPS rebates are going on it can shave $500+ off the price, and if you dont need the GT-56 transducer you can easily sell that for $200+

DO NOT BUY THE GARMIN BUNDLES, you’re wasting $$ paying for the terrible stock battery and pole system, piece it all together individually!

I agree. Joe, I’m far from a LiveScope expert but I get asked all the time “what parts do I need to buy to piece together my own setup?” Joe if you have time I think many would benefit from your knowledge on what to buy. Maybe post a bill of material of items a person would need.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I created a post about that topic on the Garmin page a few weeks ago

TOM

Tried LS for Lakers in 70 fow and IMO it’s unusable, bait and fish are just to small to follow on screen with LS.

What is the depth limitations on the ps30 where you start having trouble marking your lure?
    With the lvs32 I noticed it was right around 80ft mark. Does lure size help when using live imaging?

TOM

I fish for Lakers and was on the fence whether to purchase LS or PS30, I went with PS30 and very happy with my choice.
    Tried LS for Lakers in 70 fow and IMO it’s unusable, bait and fish are just to small to follow on screen with LS.
    with PS30 I can stand 5 feet away from the screen and still see everything that’s going on down there.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QETFhrI1pEkkl9kVHZxgYhLO-M5oeoi8/view?usp=sharing

Whats the deepest depth where you were still able to see your lure on the ps30?
    Ive experienced in depths over 80ft the lvs32 struggles marking my lure.

ec1
    NULL

As someone who’s gone from regular Panoptix to Livescope after a few solid years of using Panoptix, I think the regular Panoptix still has its time and place. If you are just searching for fish, or are running and gunning, the Panoptix still does everything I need. With a little bit of practice, you are easily able to pick out which fish are larger, and the GT10HN 2D transducer is great when you are fishing deeper water.

I will say though, the Livescope does give a much higher quality image, which is like going back to watch standard def tv after seeing high def.

JoeMX1825
    MN

As someone who’s gone from regular Panoptix to Livescope after a few solid years of using Panoptix, I think the regular Panoptix still has its time and place. If you are just searching for fish, or are running and gunning, the Panoptix still does everything I need. With a little bit of practice, you are easily able to pick out which fish are larger, and the GT10HN 2D transducer is great when you are fishing deeper water.

I will say though, the Livescope does give a much higher quality image, which is like going back to watch standard def tv after seeing high def.

I like the Atari 5200 vs Nintendo comparison…blobs vs pixels

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.