Noise canceling ear buds

• dbright
    Cambridge

I have been looking for ear buds to wear duck hunting. Anyone have any experience with them? Good or bad what are your thoughts on the ones you have used? I started duck hunting 8 years ago and it has definitely taken a toll on my hearing.

Dave maze
    Isanti

I have the walker bluetooth ear buds. They work good. They are a little bit of a pain if you have a head net on tho. The net will change the settings if it rubs on one.. if they didn’t have the touch pad on them they would be perfect.

Smellson

I’ve tried many. Latest attempt was tetra. Although they were the best, I still couldn’t stand wearing them all day. Ive just accepted that I’ll probably have some hearing loss in exchange for my enjoyment while hunting

dbright
    Cambridge

Axil is the brand I keep running across. Not sure if that is the way I am going to go but they price seems reasonable and they are rechargeable.

Reef W

I have Walker ATACS and like them. I use them deer hunting and have a hat or hood and never any issues with it changing settings. Don’t remember where the hell I put them to check right now but I think you have to click the buttons. Not quite as comfortable as smaller earbuds if you were moving a lot but no issues sitting around and just walking to and from stand for me. I like the tether for these so I can’t drop one where I’d never find it. The $200 price on Walker website is crazy, can find them for 90 or 100.

Johnny

I got some custom molded ones from the local ENT for a couple hundred bucks and they work great. Best part is not having to take them in/out since they allow normal talking sound levels to be heard but cutout above a certain decibel level.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I got some custom molded ones from the local ENT for a couple hundred bucks and they work great.

Johnny, what brand are they?

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Ive just accepted that I’ll probably have some hearing loss in exchange for my enjoyment while hunting

I wished I would’ve listened to the audiologist in 2015 when I had my hearing checked. I had some hearing loss in my left ear. I shoot right handed so this is called “hunter’s ear”. The ear close to the shotgun/rifle is protected some by your shoulder. She said you can just wear an ear plug in your left ear. Wished I would’ve remembered to do that.
    In 2022 had my hearing checked again. Very significant hearing loss in my left ear, enough that a hearing aid would make a difference. Right ear had about the same amount as my left ear in 2015.
    I researched electronic ear suppressors last year but never bought any. I used the foam ear plugs instead. When duck hunting most of the ducks come from the same direction so hearing other noises wasn’t as important.

Here is the info I kept from some threads on IDO, other websites/people.
    Some of it is repeated but I didn’t want go thru and edit it. The “I” isn’t me, it’s the person providing the info.

I tried the walkers with batteries. They work very well, can hear conversation but still stops the gunshot noise. However, go with the rechargeable. The batteries on mine die in 1 day, and it’s a pain changing them while in the stand. They also amplify your beard scraping against your coat, wind blowing, etc, but it’s worth it to save your hearing. 
    I also have a pair of decibullz. Super cheap and they work well. My word of caution though is that you only get one chance to mold them. Once you’ve pushed the mold to far or thin, you can’t correct them. But they are custom fit. Normal conversation is a little muffled with these. If money is no object, go with the Walkers rechargeable. Or try them both I guess.
    I use the walkers rechargeable. They get a little annoying in your ears all day but I’d rather be able to hear later in life. Rechargeable ones are key. The battery ones only last about a day, and you’re fumbling around putting batteries in. The rechargeable ones last all day and can be recharged in the box without plugging them into anything. They have different settings if you want to hear people talk, listen for wildlife, cut down the wind noise, etc.
    Reviewed I have tried the Decibulz. Very affordable, but if you don’t mold them right the first time, they aren’t moldable again, no matter what they say in there adds. I found they cut down on the noise of the report, but you weren’t able to hear anything else like advertised. I like the custom fit aspect.

So the main brands I’m aware of are:
    Soundgear – made by Starkey
    Walker
    Wildear – The guy who makes the mud motor I bought uses this brand. He said the batteries last a long time. I think he uses them for duck hunting so it’s not like you’re sitting in a stand all day.

I plan on getting something for fall of 2024 and will get them fit by an audiologist. I don’t want to lose anymore of my hearing.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.