New to Pike fishing.

i am a rookie when it comes to pike fishing i need to know what lures/baits i should be using when it comes around to the pike open 5/11/24

Riverrat

You need to get into the mind of the pike. It’s angry, hungry, and sometimes horny. Focus on the first two. Baits that will urine them off, and baits that they think they can eat. I would start with some stick baits like a husky jerk. Spinnerbaits and chatterbaits are pretty effective.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I like spinnerbaits (Bass style) and Spinners like Bucktails for casting. If you like messing with them rig and toss a white Fluke. You will get bit off but they are fun to watch smash your bait.

If trolling a old fashion 5 of Diamonds spoon is hard to beat. I also will use a Rattle Trap at times. Be sure to troll an “S” pattern and also pull your rod from time to time to change bait speed, that will trigger a strike.

If you are hunting big Pike a Rapala Super Shad is hard to beat.

If you are catching and releasing be sure to pinch the barbs down on your lure and wet your hand before touching the fish.

Have fun.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

When I used to target them what the guys said is gold. Also if you have located a good spot and care to put a med to large sucker under a big bobber. If I remember correctly the tactic was to let them take the bobber under and wait until it resurfaced then set the hook. You can catch them on most anything honestly there not real hard to catch, at least the smaller ones aren’t.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

When I used to target them what the guys said is gold. Also if you have located a good spot and care to put a med to large sucker under a big bobber. If I remember correctly the tactic was to let them take the bobber under and wait until it resurfaced then set the hook. You can catch them on most anything honestly there not real hard to catch, at least the smaller ones aren’t.

John is correct on fishing with a bobber. Wait until the bobber goes down the 2nd time. The first hit they smash the bait to stun it then they stop and turn the bait to swallow it. When they start moving again set the hook. Set it in a straight up motion, don’t pull it to either side.

A safety thing is after wetting your hand to grab the Pike behind the gill plate open your bail or hit your free spool button. They are going to try and get out of your hand and you don’t want any tension on your line. Otherwise the bait can come out and lodge a hook in your hand. It will happen very fast…..ask me how I know. jester

glenn57
    cold spring mn

daredevils……… red and white….anything with red or orange.

isu22andy

Red eye wiggler 1 oz . I wouldn’t over think it .

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Anything flashy and/or vibrating. I catch way too many unwanted pike when targeting bass and muskies. Looks for weeds and you can’t avoid them.

Take a few home with ya too, especially the annoying abundant 20 inchers. Bag limit is 10 in most of the state.

Snake ii’s

Mepps or similar bucktails – silver blade with white or black bucktail.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Mepps or similar bucktails – silver blade with white or black bucktail.

Black furry for me on the mepps those things just seem to catch pike.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Lots of great advice above. I like casting and my go to pike baits are 3/8 oz safety pin spinner baits and Red eye wigglers in 1 oz.

Learn to take out the Y-bones and they are great eating. Smaller pike pickle well without taking out the Y-bones.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

when i take out the Y-bones, i pickle that too!!!!! waytogo

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.