Perch for Supper ?

• Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I had a chance to sneak out before the big storm with Blue. We fished hard with some real finicky fish under the ice. What worked best for me was the Gold Gill Pill and a waxie. I found some perch on my Marcum LX-5 that were hugging real close to the bottom. They were real hesitant to come up to take my offering. With several different presentations the Gill Pill was the most productive…

herb
    6ft under

“Perch for supper?”
    I wish you could see the face I’m making.

Ron Johnsen
    Platteville wi

Looks like some good eating there & nice fish what pool

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Nice job Dave!

On your lx5, how do you read or exactly what is showing when the fish are laying very tight to the bottom? I’m starting to get a feel for this incredible unit but for the guys just starting out it may help.
    Many times when drilling then shooting numerous holes I think it’s easy to miss bottom fish with the untrained eye. Any flasher reading tips is always appreciated

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Turn on the zoom. It is amazing what you will see when zoomed in on the bottom.

Without the zoom on and while just checking holes if I see the slightest flicker at bottom I will zoom in on the bottom.

With the MarCum fine tuned 3/4inch separation is all it takes to give away them bottom huggers

If they are rubbing there belly’s along the bottom watch for a yellow or green line which will flicker on the bottom.

Nice fish Mr. Koonce

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Bret knows his Marcum very well…

If the unit is not on Zoom,,, I think I would miss them…I always use the zoom feature and when they are coming in real tight to the bottom..I will see green and yellow flickers mixed in with the red bottom.

I was letting go every perch i caught for the past 6-8 years and not that I had anything to do with the booming population of these perch, but I am happy to see them coming back as they are great eating…especially with fried potatoes and cheese !!

ted-merdan

Imagine that – a WI guy who likes Cheese!!!

Sounds delicious though, had some fresh walleye Friday night at a party and almost ate the whole platter!

superdave
    NE IA

Nice job Dave! I haven’t been able to get more then one or two perch per outing, looks like you guys found them pretty good!

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

hey dave,

is that a rod holder at the left of your picture. is it homemade?

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Quote:

hey dave,
    is that a rod holder at the left of your picture. is it homemade?

Yes it is…

A real good friend of mine made that…They work Great !!!

You can lay them on the floor/ice or mount them on the wall of a permanent shack…

rcruss
    Fountain City, WI

had a perch fry a few weeks ago also all between 10 1/2 – 11 3/4 inch caught on forage minnows…i’ve notice the perch i been catching have become more finicky as of late

russjudy
    Minnesota

all i could find in the freezer for fish was some smelt– dang that was great,

2 cups flour,
    4 eggs,
    6 tsp of baking soda,
    salt-pepper,
    and 1 can of beer

mix and put into deep frier

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.