La Crosse Area Ice Report 12/20/2008

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Is there any water around the La Crosse area 10 feet deep or more, not holding crappies………not to many I’ll tell ya

After catching 15 or so saugers and bringing 3 home from Dresbach Wednesday, I was really looking forward to fishing it today. First the train wreck just to the North and then a dumping of snow, well……it had me changing my mind about fishing the dam this weekend
    It wasn’t tough to decide crappies should be the target again. With the daughter home on break, the first thing she asked for is a fish fry Of course I grumped about turning fishing into work, but I’d go to work if I had too

AmWatson and I were walking on the ice by 5:15AM….it’s dark then We headed to the edge of a flat that drop from 5 – 11fow. This trip was no different than the last 2 reports I have made fishing crappies.
    The earlier the higher the crappies are in the water column. 7 feet and up is there kill zone at first but as it gets light out they commit to the bait between 9 – 5 feet. If they were not coming up any higher you could dangle till your dangler fell off, but they would not nibble the bait. Hold it still and they disappeared from the flasher.

I only used 2 baits today, the Sliver Green Slender Spoon and a Pink/Pearl White Demon, You got to love Custom Jigs and Spins tackle I also tipped both with a minnow head.
    The best bite started at 6:20 and tapered off just before 8. A 100yard move along the edge of this flat put us back on fish until 9:30. After that the marks were fewer and the fish were smaller so it was time to call it a morning. The plan was to bring home fresh fish….ya gotta like it when a plan comes together

I’m sure AmWatson will chime in and let you know what was working for him. I believe he had a good time playing catch and release
    It was a fun morning Wats We even beat the snow home

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

Nice looking fish Mr. Clark! Happy eating

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

How big are the ones you are holding?

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

SURE……

At 5:15AM I was plowing snow….

Rub it in Bret

How has the snow affected walking etc.?

As soon as the snow stops for more than 2 days,,,,,,,,

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

It was another good day on the ice with Bret
    Bret had us walking out to a spot in the middle of nowhere with no difference in landscape in all directions. It was just a white blanket of snow. Of course, Bret had his fish sniffer andthe GPS locked in to a specific location

Once the holes were drilled, it was time to get the shacks set-up and get to work. The fish in the first area were pretty sparse, but once they showed up, they were committed to hitting the jigs. Just after sun-up though, they came through in a flurry and Bret and I both had put some fish on the ice. I released mine to save for another day and Bret kept a select few for the pan.

Once the bite stopped there, we were once again off in search of another area that has produced year after year. Bret must have drilled 20 holes for a little hole hopping. The thing I noticed right away was Bret’s auger. There was another guy about 80 yards away who fired up his Jiffy at the same time Bret fired up the Lazer Mag. The jiffy was so LOUD you would have thought he was right next to you The Lazer was very quiet and drilled holes like it was butter.

Anyway, I checked a few holes with the flasher before I started fishing. The third hole I checked showed some activity so I started there. I dropped my purple glitter Lil’ Cecil down the hole and was immedietaly met by a fish that came from 9 fow and raced all the way to 5 fow to smack the offering. It ended up being a nice aggressive perch. From there it was a nice mix of crappie and perch in that hole.

I only had success of 2 jigs today, Lil’ Cecils and my favorite, the Forage Minnow in rainbow trout with a red hook. All were tipped with a waxie, I couldn’t get bit without bait today which is odd for both of these baits.

I packed up a little earlier than Bret since my son had a basketball game that I wanted to watch.

Thanks Bret It was once again a great day on the ice.

Mudshark-The snow could have been a major pain, but the harness made it much better.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Great photos and report Guys! Looks like a blast…I did a little fishing today too…

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Nice slabs men

Had to get ready for the family xmas party so ice fishing was a no go.
    Partying last night with TJ, Bucket mouth, Crazybell and the rest of the family you can only guess what the main topic of converation was……..yep, ice fishn
    Don’t feel so spirited today for some odd reason

Keep em tied up Bret, TJ and I have plans for another trip north during xmas break

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Bret had us walking out to a spot in the middle of nowhere with no difference in landscape in all directions. It was just a white blanket of snow.

Like Wats said….the middle of nowhere When spots like this are located a waypoint is put in the GPS immediately. The first time finding the fish is leg work, next trip with way points cuts down on search time.
    There was not a soul within 300 yards of us. This is the way I like to fish high pressured areas. It keeps you out of all the activity. Before we set up there was plenty of holes drilled in both spots before fishing, this way things have a chance to settle down incase an adjustment is needed.

Quote:

Don’t feel so spirited today for some odd reason

Step outside Jeff, that wind should clear your head in a hurry. Waking up this morning to howling winds a blowing snow made it a little easier to stay home
    Let me know when your headed this way

Targa, big enough to eat and picture worthy

bucketmouth1
    Lancaster, WI

Way to get on the specks guys, keep it up

earnit

Great job, Brett!

Remind me not to drink so much at Jeff’s house ever again! That was a great holiday party….but I stayed to long.

had no itch to go today, I didn’t even want to go outside.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

Quote:

had no itch to go today, I didn’t even want to go outside.

I didn’t have much itch either, but I’m glad I went. We had to work for them but we got some nice gills and had a lot of fun by the days end. Be careful though, the new snow has made some scary spots on the ice in areas with heavy current.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.