interesting day on the ice

• cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Well, what a day it was. Took my neighbor kid out fishing. Thought we’d go on an adventure. After scrambling down a large bank, through the brambles, over the tracks, and then down the bank to the water, we were finally on the ice. Getting the shack and equipment down was way easier than getting it back up. We popped many holes, changed depths, baits, jigs, etc. NOTHING. It goes to show that a good summer/fall spot doesn’t translate into a good winter spot.

Then, on the way back we were greeted by DNR. A rather nice guy. He wondered what the heck we were doing. He stated that in 29 years of being a warden, he had never seen ice fishermen where we were. Needless to say, I now know why.

He proceeded to give me a written warning for not having my name and address on my portable. (didn’t know that was necessary for a portable).

We finished the day on Neshonoc and caught a few crappies. Very slow to say the least, but we had good meatloaf sandwiches and homemade cookies, no one got wet, and we shared some good laughs. He insists that he wants to do it again.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

He insists that he wants to do it again.

Ya done good cpetey!!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Quote:

He insists that he wants to do it again.

Ya done good cpetey!!

I will second that

Imagine how much fun the dude is going to have when you hit it just right

Craig Matter
    Hager City,Wi

Is that the rule in Wi….I didn’t know you needed your name and address on a portable either….
    Whatsa

Craig Matter
    Hager City,Wi

This is what I fond on the Wi DNR web site…. Did you leave your shack on the ice???

Do I need a name and address on my ice fishing shanty or shelter, even if it is portable?
    It depends. The name and address (in English) of the person owning or using any fishing shelter must be legibly painted or permanently affixed on the outside of the shelter in block lettering at least one inch square in contrasting colors, when the shelter is left on the ice and is not occupied or otherwise in use.

However, beginning April 1, 2002, fishing shelters that are occupied or otherwise in use and removed from the ice daily are exempt from this requirement. If you remove the shelter from the ice when you come off the ice, a name and address is not required.

Whatsa

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

It is required when fishing border waters, but, it also depends on the individual wardens. I have had some tell me to put my name and address on the shack while others never even mention it.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Fritzy, the warden in question, said it was a MN thing. Anywho, I hope to get out tomorrow. My 2 year old daughter announced at dinner that we should go fishing for crappies tomorrow. So, what’s a father to do?

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Sorry answer was put on wrong post

gonecribbin
    reads landing MN

Dont need anything on house in MN either unless it is left overnight

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

Dont need anything on house in MN either unless it is left overnight

Sorry that isn’t correct you do need either your name, DL number or MN DNR number on the side of you shack, period. Check the regulations, page 55, You however do not need a license, if you do not intend to leave it unattended on the ice.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.