Chance to introduce a kid to ice fishing

• cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Howdy everybody. I have an opportunity, albeit duty, to introduce my neighbor kid (really a young man…20yrs old) to ice fishing. He’s new to the state and home from college on break. I do most of my fishing up in the Hayward area, but have fished some of the community holes in the LaCrosse area. I’ve fished by the airport. A lot of little ones over there. I’ve done a couple of the lakes in Trempealeau. Did well on tipups, but small gills. I’ve had success on Neshonoc, but that place gets pretty well pounded.

Any thoughts on a nice trip where I can get him on some decent size pannies? How’s the ice behind Gundersen? I’m up for an adventure. Last year, I walked down 7 bridges trail to a backwater sleugh (fourth bridge). I had visions of large fish being trapped in there from the summer. No dice. Tank creek inlet? Trempealeau Refuge? Blue lake? Lawrence?

Any advice or thoughts would be great. PM if you wish.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Well, what a day it was. Took my neighbor kid out fishing. Thought we’d go on an adventure. After scrambling down a large bank, over the tracks, and then down the bank to the water, we were finally on the ice. Getting the shack and equipment down was way easier than getting it back up. We popped many holes, changed depths, baits, jigs, etc. NOTHING. It goes to show that a good summer/fall spot doesn’t translate into a good winter spot.

Then, on the way back we were greeted by DNR. A rather nice guy. He wondered what the heck we were doing. He stated that in 29 years of being a warden, he had never seen ice fishermen where we were. Needless to say, I now know why.

He proceeded to give me a written warning for not having my name and address on my portable. (didn’t know that was necessary for a portable).

We finished the day on Neshonoc and caught a few crappies. Very slow to say the least, but we had good meatloaf sandwiches and homemade cookies, no one got wet, and we shared some good laughs.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.