not a good day to fish on foot.

• eye_hunter

i was out today early in the morning, everything was fine. 33 degrees in my car. I thought it was the perfect day. went out to a lake and found it filled with slush. man it was impossible to get to the spot I wanted. it took me half an hour to go where it usually takes me 15 min. walking and dragging all that stuff was awful. got soaking wet from the slush, then it started to rain and it got worse. the heater died on me and it was freezing. the way back was even worse. I felt like I was wading through a swamp. so much water.

but in all the fish was biting good. got all I needed and saw a pike under water with my camera. I did see this guy out on the lake with a red pick up truck. dont know why he is out there yet, I only had 5 inch of ice where I was. the point is, walking on a slushy lake is horrible, probably will never attemp again.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Yep, the last couple years we have had to deal with slush on the early ice It definitely is not much fun when you try dragging a shack through it. You will also find out quickly if your boots are waterproof or water resistant. Most times, the slush gets through no matter what type of boot you have.
    But, the upcoming brutal cold temps should stiffen the slush up and make for some thicker, slicker ice

eye_hunter

the problem with water proof boots, which I had on is that once water gets into it, they dont come out. and that was bad.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Yep, that is why my PEET boot dryer runs almost 24 hours a day now

NickJohnson

yep 1st time out yest it sucked fish bit ok but hate sitting in standing water couldnt tell hat was old holes and what was footprints made for an interesting walk out in the dark

mrwalleye
    MN

Little tip try a pair of polypropylene socks then a pair of 100% wool socks then a pair of neoprene socks over them if your boots gets wet your feet stay warm

I have to do this for work. because most days I’m standing in 2″ of water and mud , and work boots no matter how good they are leak
    and as long as you dont go over the top of the neoprene socks you stay warm and dry

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Bread bags work good in a pinch too.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

at least the slush allows for some traction.Where I was today it was all bare ice and water, and It was so windy this afternoon I thought I was going to be in serious danger with a mile walk ahead of my friend Carson and I to get back to our vehicles. Luckily for me I had creepers on, but even with those, it was easy to loose your footing as the wind was literally pushing you backwards at times. Carson had a real tough time with no cleats, and I attached our shanties together so he didn’t have to drag any weight. Even with no weight behind him the wind was taking its toll and it was like he was doing the moon walk on the slick ice I felt really bad for him. I’m just happy we got in OK, and nothing was broken in the 2 total times that I decided to leave my shanty and it decided to flip over…
    Bring on the frigid temps, I saw 2 trucks on the ice yesterday in the La Crosse area and with a few cold nights with no insulation on the ice, we could be seeing a lot more of the same in many other local hot spots.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

That wind and glare ice was something else here too and me with out my tent . Had a good day anyways and got to watch a guy come down and try to set up his tent. While he was in it to set it up the wind blew him 60 yds down the lake, I about fell over laughing. Not sure if it was that funny or if my brain was froze.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.