Icing Pike

• trumar
    Rochester, Mn

What do you recomend for set-ups to icefish target Pike with a rod ?

Size line
    Bait
    Lure/Jigs
    Areas to target

Thanks for advice in advance

Jeff

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

10 -12 # mono or flouro should cover your bases. Berkley Vanish is some incredibly tough stuff that has been good to me on the ice. I would suggest you use a nylon coated titanium leader like Tyger Wire to keep from getting bit off by Mr. Toothie. >>>http://www.tygerleader.com/ 15# leader should be plenty.

As for bait… suckers or chubs on a plain jig will work as well sucker belly strips on a airplane jig. I’ve had some good luck with spoons with the CJS Slender spoon in 1/4 size putting some darn nice pike on the ice for me when I’m out after walleyes. You could dress up your spoons with a strip of sucker belly or even go with a 2 – 3 inch grub in white or chartreuse if quality livebait isn’t available.

Deep weedlines would get my most attention with particular interest paid to any weed points that extend out into deeper water. Fish right at the base of the weedline and out into deeper water. Also keep a close eye on your flasher as pike will frequently suspend when they’re cruising around looking for a meal.

My hope is to do a pike show this winter where we specifically target pike with rods… no tip ups.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

I would suggest you use a nylon coated titanium leader like Tyger Wire to keep from getting bit off by Mr. Toothie. >>>http://www.tygerleader.com/ 15# leader should be plenty.

Tyger wire is some awesome stuff. When using a jig stick the 15# leader material is perfect. There are some that complain about it curling up when tying a knot. To avoid this, use the knot show on the package, 2 twist are plenty, then when pulling the knot tight, pull on the tag end.

A quick flame from a bic lighter over the knot makes a weld. And when I say quick I mean quick.

I have had some success with 1/4oz hair jigs tipped with a small shiner. White head with either white hair or purple hair have been my favorites. I need to spend more time jigging for the toothy’s…when that big fat red line shows up on the MarCum my heart starts to pump but good …..and when they hit, what a blast

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Thanks for the response James and Bret,That is exactly the info I was hoping to recieve.

Next question ,where does one buy the tygerleader my area ,Rochester,Mn ? I did reaerch it and it looks like the twin cities area here in Mn is the only area to buy it.

Thanks again Jeff

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’ve picked it up at Gander in the past so that’s an option. I know Dean carries it at Everts so if you’re in his area that’s an option. And Cabelas should have it as well so it shouldn’t be too hard for you to find.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I will check out my local Gander then .

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I will check out my local Gander then .

Typically I find the Tyger Wire or similar product in the Fly Fishing section.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I have purchased it on line and at the Madison fishing show.
    It is a bit spendy but worth the ching in my opinion.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

I have purchased it on line and at the Madison fishing show.

It is a bit spendy but worth the ching in my opinion.

Bret it’s only money ,ya cant take with you , so I am going make good use of it while I can

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

That’s what I call a great attitude

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.