Ice fishing line ?

• fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’m heading to Gander and Mills after work tonight to put the finishing touches on the gear for the ice season. Last season I tried the Fireline clear in one of the smallest Diam. available for my panfish setups and overall was really happy with the performance. I think this year I’m going to set one up with the same fireline as last season and another one with Mono or Flurocarbon for when the bite is tough. What brand and size are all you using for your panfishing? I mostly fish Gillpills, and Fatboys. thanks in advance for all of your thoughts. Good luck this season and be safe!!!!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I’m probably going to get beat up and laughed at but, my favorite ice line is not any of the expensive stuff

I have tried a lot of different lines and I keep coming back to the plain old Trilene XL.
    I have 2lb and 4lb spooled on my reels for panfishing.

ron_w_basser2
    North Central, MN

Beat me up too then but I have used 4lb vanish with great success. As long as it’s new and isn’t from years ago. The line doesn’t seem as stiff as it used to and worked well on my smaller spinning reels. But it doesn’t hurt to spool it on as leave it sit for awhile to take some of the spring out of it. I too like the XL but the knots slip through for me all the time while tying. You can’t beat the feel of fluorocarbon or braid.

Just my two cents.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Fishthumper:

Thorne Bros. is a haul from Savage, but I’d consider making the trip if you’re getting all spooled up. I’m a fan of the P-line and gamma lines, and they’re about the only ones that consistently have that stuff in stock in the varied poundages I use. Better yet, you often don’t need to buy a filler spool that you’ll only use 1/2 or 2/3’s of, while the rest goes to waste.

Beginning of the season, I get all my rods/reels out, figure out what I want on each spool, then write it on a piece of masking tape and put it on the spool. Carry all the spools to Thorne and they fill them up for me. I get new line on everything for a fraction of the cost every year.

There’s lots of places that will wind line, but few places that have the selection of ice lines in the different #’ages I use.

Joel

Whiskerkev
    Madison

2 lb flouro for pannies, 4 lb for eyes, and 25lb for tipup leaders. Vanish, Pline, are all pretty good.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I do love me some 3lb Suffix Ice on my pan fish pole. Works nice and stays limp.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Seeing the 3lb suffix post reminded me that I switched to 3lb P-line last year over the 2lb stuff for my pannie-only rods. Virtually eliminated break-offs and the fish don’t seem to be the wiser?

Joel

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

I just spooled some Fireline Micro Ice in the 2 lb weight this last Friday for the Saturday bite………..Saturday night it came off and I went back to 2 lb Trilene. In water deeper than 4′ I couldn’t get any springbobber action with a jig lighter than a #8. One guy told me it gets better with age……..!! I want to fish this winter!!!

I agree with Brett on this one

birddog
    Mn.

Quote:

Last season I tried the Fireline clear in one of the smallest Diam. available for my panfish setups and overall was really happy with the performance.

I picked up a few spools of the 1 lb.=1/4 diameter fireline crystal (micro ice) last spring on special…it was cheap so I figured I’d try it. Before I spooled it up this year I wanted to check just how strong it really was as it’s so SMALL/THIN, tied it off to my rapala digital, got it up to ten pounds and it started cutting my hand(duh, use a glove), never broke. I was impressed to say the least. I spooled it up. It’s been great.

BIRDDOG

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

2lb Vanish. It carts big guys like this one through the hole for me A-Okay

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

2 lbs and 4 lbs pline or vanish- I think pline is my favorite- but I am giving vanish another good run this year.

scenic tackle
    Bemidji, MN

I too like the P-line. This will be my 3rd year or using it now.

prodrive-al
    Elkhorn, WI

Got this jigging for gills the other day . Two pound Pline, had just spooled up right before going out, so no long term experience, but it sure worked good on the first day out .

fishinfool
    mn

I am a huge fan of Fireline Crystal Ice – in 2 and 3 pound.
    Have if for two years and no break offs fishing for 16 to 18 inch trout, and having to deal with bass in 1 to 5 pound ranges quite frequently. Only issue is when your outside it tends to freeze a little in the hole, but strenght overall is worth the little hassle…

FF

DSchuh
    Golden, CO

I like p-line in 2lb for all my pannie fishing, but have spooled up a couple with 4lb vanish and am planning to give that a try this year. Just cant beat flourocarbon for feel and performance.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I pickup and spooled with 2Lb Vanish last night. I wanted to give the P-line a try but could not find it in a small diam. I really want to test the Fluro side by side with the Fireline to see if there is a difference. My guess is only when the bite is really really tough, but will have to find out for sure. I really like the strength and small Diam of the fireline crystal last season. A friend of mine said on his camera you could not even see the line.

crappiechaser
    Clear Lake WI

i like the p line too ive used it for the past 2 yrs and never had a problem it doesent kink or nothing ! ill continue to use it

crappiechaser
    Clear Lake WI

Quote:

Got this jigging for gills the other day . Two pound Pline, had just spooled up right before going out, so no long term experience, but it sure worked good on the first day out .

nice smallie

prodrive-al
    Elkhorn, WI

Quote:

nice smallie

Thanks, thats a PB smallie through the ice. It was quite the fight, a good five minutes at least.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Very nice smallie, congrats on a personal best

2lb Trilene XL this weekend
    Fish like these are not only a true testament to your line but also the reel it is spooled on and the rod, all of which are under great pressure when fish like these take a drag screaming run.
    Patience helps in a big way too!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.