Early ice sunfish and crappies?

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Was wondering what types of locations and structure you guys like to look for on early ice for locating sunfish and crappies? Most of my ice fishing is later in the season and I just look at deeper water then. Not sure if that would be the best bet for right now.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Yesterday I found some eager crappies just off of a weedline. I usually fish the deeper basin of this lake, but I couldn’t get anything going. I walked towards shore until I could see the weeds starting and then walked back a few yards and poppped some holes. The weeds were still very green and thick. It was neat to be out there with the clear ice becuase I was able to map out the weedline for future reference.

bigpike

I have been fishing backwater river area’s and been pounding nice gils and perch for two weeks, the deepest I have been fishing is 5′ for perch. Most of my gils have been taken in 2-3′ of water with weeds, yesterday me and old timer caught over 100 gils most of them between 8-9″. Go shallow early as long as the weeds stay green the gills will be right in what was the summer shallow slop

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.