Stoddard thin ICE

• mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

This was second hand info but I was told somebody found a way through the ice either Weds sometime or Thurs morning. I did see about 5 or 6 out there fishing as I went both directions on my milk run… but I didn’t feel like venturing out there myself with all the other options available. The person that told me this said whoever fell through got out.

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

Yeah I would stay away from Stoddard! It’s too dangerous out there.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

I would not be afraid to hit stoddard…I walked on Stoddard on Thanksgiving day (3″) and hit it up last Saturday and had close to 4″ of ice…just use common sense, I don’t see how any one could fall through unless you went close to the open water where the water comes through the rocks..

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Stoddard ice is in good shape with 4 to 5 inches almost ever where. You still need to use caution on the South end of the box around the landing and the out chute on the North end of the box.

If you are expecting to find the bite of years past….good luck. I believe with the pressure Stoddard has seen in the last 4 years there are not near the numbers of bull gills there once was. There are however a lot of 3-5 with some 7 inch fish, and if they are released to grow, the area will rebound soon. I would love to see a 10 fish limit put on Stoddard

With that said, there are still some dandy gills in the box. A lot of what use to be honey holes hold small dinks now but getting out and moving around can be rewarding if you happen to locate the buggun’s

I also like the fact that you can’t park along side the highway now. No more 150+ cars parked along side the road. It’s to bad but I also like that the property owner chain linked his boundary off, the public did that to themselves by not respecting this guys private property. I know Mike and I picked up trash that was thrown down on are walk off more than once. And why would anyone think it was ok to use his driveway or park in front of it was beyond me

As Forest Gump would say….”that’s all I got too say about that”

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

From what I hear, it sounds like there is going to be a whole ‘nother “Stoddard” on the other side of the river soon

B.C.
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

I would not be afraid to hit stoddard…I walked on Stoddard on Thanksgiving day (3″) and hit it up last Saturday and had close to 4″ of ice…just use common sense, I don’t see how any one could fall through unless you went close to the open water where the water comes through the rocks..

I was joking, I was out there all weekend.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

sorry, didn’t mean to reply to you, I was replying to the original poster.

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Like I said it was second hand info that I felt was important to pass on to possibly save someone the same experience. And if I hear similar information I will post it again. I trust the following posts were accurate. Happy Hook-ups Lawrence

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I don’t think anyone was knocking your post, I appreciated the info.
    My findings come from a few days later than yours and I was just sharing what I had found while out there on the ice.
    Sorry if you took it the wrong way

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Nope didn’t take it the wrong way, got it spot on, I even said I trusted the advice of following posts. Happy Hook-ups Lawrence

Batman09
    Michigan

So it’s chained off down where you had to walk through the trees and you can not park on 35 anymore?

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

There are very few places you can still park on 35 and it is a hike to the ice now whereever you end up parking With the snow cover we have now (close to 12″ or more total) it is going to make it a lot more work getting a shack out there

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

you can still park on the highway, you just have to park in front of the no parking signs..theres only room for 9 or 10 vehicles I’d say but first come first serve

Batman09
    Michigan

Thanks.

we’ll be up that way this weekend

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Heard second hand that someone fell through ice at Stoddard again … any of you previous posters hear anything???? Sorry BC I couldn’t help myself… I’m glad to hear you got out safely, and very impressed you went right back to fish,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.