Ice conditions Ambro Slough area

• Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I went out north of town today looking for some ice to walk on, What I found was very interesting…

Greymore Lake, looked like most of it had just froze over last night, no snow on most of it and a thin layer of fresh ice over 2/3rds of it….

North Ambro Slough landing, Someone took a boat out into open water leading to the island just west of the landing..not sure what he was doing ?

South Ambro landing, Here it looked as though some people had walked across into Mud Slough, So that’s what I did, spudded my way over there and found 3″ at best for ice conditions where i walked.

Fishing was fairly consistent,with lots of gills in the 5 to 7″ range with very few topping out at 8″…I started out popping 15 holes over an area of just over 2′ of water out to 5’…most all my fish came from the deeper water..Hole hopping was the ticket till the wind picked up and then i took shelter in the confines of my Otter.

With the cold temps forecasted and only about an inch of snow on top of the existing ice we should be running all over the backwaters in a week or so… So lets hope mother nature keeps her snow to a minimum till a good ice base is formed..

Take care all and be safe out there !!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Looks like fun Dave

I love pictures of what appears to be ice under foot

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Thanks a ton Dave, that’s just the kind of report we were looking for

superdave
    NE IA

Thanks for the report Dave. After deer season this weekend and early next week, I hope to get over!

Nothing better than the sight of a flasher all lit up!

herb
    6ft under

Going to be very cold later next week.
    Stay out of my spot mister!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Atta Boy Koonce…Nice fish…cool looking pic from inside the house…

jakeh
    White Bear Twp

With the cold weather on the way we should have plenty of ice by January!

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I am envious yet again, of you on ice before me!! Looks like a blast! Thanks for the update!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.