Pool 9 – Green Lake

• bosman
    DeSoto, WI

Spent upwards of 4 1/2 hours on the ice over at the Green this morning. Pre-dawn crappie bite wasn’t there this morning – all though I spoke to a fellow hole hopper who indicated a few black specs were pulled through the ice early yesterday morning. Did witness a few crappie carted to the ice – a real nice one by fellow IDO’er JDWelder…As for the Bos, the #10 Firetiger Diamond caught the eye of more than one gill. Nothing like the sight of a yellow-belly doing the “helicopter dance” under the ice as he’s funnelled up to hole! Did pick up one short perch for what it’s worth. Brought a baker’s dozen of gills home for the liking. Tossed back countless bait size gills. Biggest was 8 1/2 inches. Majority were in the 7 & 1/2 to 7 3/4 range. No herd bulls, that’s for sure. Bite was your typical hardwater pattern. Fast & furious for 10 minutes followed by a 30 minute lull. And NO folks – when a Burlington Northern rumbles by – that’s not the super secret code for fish to start biting nor stop biting! I hear that comment nearly every time I’m on the hardwater.

As for the ice conditions – a solid 2″ up near the landing but it dwindled down to MAYBE an 1.5″ where I called home.

Few pics for your viewing pleasure. Sorry Dan – wanted to get one of you in action – but you moved too quick!

dan-tessmann
    Kieler, Wis

After finally hearing some good news about getting on the hard stuff i took off for desoto at 4:30 am. not exactly knowing where to go and where to get on the ice i still dediced to go for it. i was glad to see the bosman pull in right after me and he led the way. it was nice to meet a IDO’er face to face. thanks brett for putting on the ice and on some fish. the bite was slow for most of the morning with a few spurts here and there. it seemed that the fish weren’t really wanting any particular color or size. i caught fish on about every jig catching 1 or 2 keepers. bos had the one hole going for him but im not that patient. i kept hole hopping and changing jigs. i was using fiskas 3 and 4mm tipped with a spike. towards mid-morning i switched to plastic trailers and they seemed to produce bigger more aggresive fish. all in all it was a good day to be out. no one got wet but i wondered about the 4 guys close to me. they were quite the crew. did see a 9.5″ saucer gill iced with a serious set of shoulders on it. had to cut the trip short with 2 sick kids at home. heres a few of the bigger fish the biggest gill was almost 9″ and the crappie was 11″. nice to meet you again brett and if anybody ventures out remember to give the guy next to you some room on thin ice. dan

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

It’s just the beginning man! I’m pumped for old man winter to settle in for about 4 months!

Waiting to read up on that LaCrosse area hardwater bite from ya Bret. I know they were getting on up at Goose Island and argued with myself for a solid 15 minutes on whether or not to make the 25 minute jaunt “up north”……

No problem JD! Maybe I’ll make it down to sunfish once or twice this year and you can show me the weedlines…
    It’s too bad them crappie were snapping this morning up more by the landing. That can be a real good spot.

cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

put the smack on some nice gills and a few crappies today in La Crosse. Not goose though

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

You’re such a tease Cade!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Waiting to read up on that LaCrosse area hardwater bite from ya Bret

It’s coming

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I should add….purple is the color on pool 8 for ME at this time

Horizontal is also producing better than vertical

abster71
    crawford county WI

Great to hear you guys are on the ice will be there shortly once smokepole season is over should have plenty time since my employer moved to mexico waiting on 3M now. hope to see you guys on the ice soon Eric

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

Quote:

I should add….purple is the color on pool 8 for ME at this time

Horizontal is also producing better than vertical

Black, that was black Bret you had your sunglasses on.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

You were using black, I was using purple!!!

you senile old coot

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Soon, very soon. Thanks for the report guys. One more day of chasing venison then it’s hole hoppin time

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.