La Crosse Area Sauger Slam 2-2-08

• cade-laufenberg
    Winona,MN/La Crosse, WI

With a fun time chasing saugers and eyes with minimal results last weekend on my end, I was eager to correct my mistakes this weekend. Justin and I met at my house at 5:15 and loaded up to head to a different location. getting on the ice well before sunrise is a key in deciding where you are going to fish the rest of the day. As luck would have it, the first set of holes we drilled were right on top of a very nice flat. justin had the “first” fish on within 1 minute of drilling. Unfortunately, this one came unbuttoned. We fished the flat through the dark and had tons of marks, worked fish up high, a couple light bites, and no fish to show. Once the light came, these fish slid off the flat, and we followed them right to the Channel’s edge. Setting up in 16-20 ft of water produced the first few fish, and there were a lot of small fish hanging around to be plucked by a number 7 jigging rap. The flow in this area is down, making it nice for fishing with a flasher. We proceeded to work the edge and had a nice day fishing. As morning turned to day, we found the fish sliding further off the edge and ended up staying in the 26-28 ft range for most of the day. Although a few fish were caught in the deep hole which holds over 40 ft of water, we chose to stay on the edge of the hole and target the less pressured fish. at 27 ft, we did have a couple fish throw their air bladders, luckily the most important one of the day didn’t cough her’s up…This fish inhaled a jigging rap and turned out to be my personal best sauger, a thick 20″er. That fish was turned back to fight another day. All in all, the day was a great one, both Justin and I each had 20-30 fish and I managed to keep a limit of saugers with one good 17-1/2″ walleye and a solid perch. Justin was being a little more selective waiting for the group of 16-18″ fish to move in on his bait, but it never really happened, and he ended up with 2 good saugers. I assure you, Justin could have kept a limit if he kept some of the 12-13″ers he was throwing back Hope everyone else has had a good weekend so far as well

-Cade

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.