Forest lake area Report: Gills and Pike

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

After hearing the big salary weather gurus report on Friday about how beautifully warm Saturday was going to be I couldn’t resist but to go make some swiss cheese early Saturday morning . I found myself shivering after about 90 minutes on the ice, so I headed back to the truck for my coat .

After doing some some searching in 6-12′ of water for some gills and very little success, I started inching my way deeper into 15-20 fow. Ahhh, success. I had to weed thru them and caught about 50 gills, I picked 6 good eaters about 7-8″ and re-taught myself how to fillet those tasty gills. Sorry no puics of the gills. I’ll have to start taking more pics for everyone.

During that time I had my tip-up in 7 fow and managed one flag and it was a good one . After probably spending about 15-20 hrs so far this season it was my first flag of the year . It sure made up for all those boring hours. I was actually hoping for a smaller one so I could carve it up, but oh well, I let her go. I was fishing a very small lake and was very shocked at the size of this pike. I biggest ever thru the ice. All in all, it was my most successful outing of the season. I now have my eyes set on the trout opener this upcomming weekend .

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.