Hot Summer?

• belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I’ve been catching up on pressure washing, that well water feels pretty nice.

stout93
    Becker MN

OMG!

It’s cloudy out today!

First time in 2 weeks and might be the only time in the next 2 weeks.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The summer of discontent is going to get worse. They are predicting a scorching heat wave here in about a week. Several days nearing 100 degrees. BARF

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Hot and Dry. I don’t see any rain in the forecast for the next 10 or so days. Bad year for the lakes and the Farmers.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The only good thing about this summer is I have a dried up brown lawn. Typically mow once/twice a week. Now it’s like once every 2-3 weeks.

“Fishermen’s Lawn” Lovin’ it

-J.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The only good thing about this summer is I have a dried up brown lawn.

I’m wondering how many of these lawns will actually come back. Grass is very resilient but we’re now in unprecedented territory. At some point it goes from being dormant to being completely dead.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I lost some. Once it goes blond, its dead. I have been watering lately and everything is lush and green with the exception of the stuff that died.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I lost some. Once it goes blond, its dead.

Approximately how long would you say it took to die?

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Possibly off topic, but I wonder what impact this heat will have on fawn survival and upland bird numbers this fall?

Gitchi Gummi

This drought is really not good for the pheasant broods in the Dakotas. It seems like just about every year is way too wet or way too dry conditions for the broods.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

My lawn has turned completed brown several times in the past. Always comes back the next spring. (Been at the current house since 1997.)

-J.

Angler II

I lost some. Once it goes blond, its dead. I have been watering lately and everything is lush and green with the exception of the stuff that died.

Its not dead. My neighbors lawn does it every year. A couple good rains and the thing comes back and looks almost identical to mine that gets watered daily.

grass is pretty darn resilient.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

A few more weeks of this and I’ll be ready for summer to wind down. Been hot and Sunny almost every day since mid May. Crazy!!!!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Hot and Dry. I don’t see any rain in the forecast for the next 10 or so days. Bad year for the lakes and the Farmers.

Corn and soybeans are at their highest prices since 2012. If everything is managed strategically, even with a moderate drought in this areas most farmers will make more $$$ than they have in recent years.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

even with a moderate drought in this areas most farmers will make more $$$ than they have in recent years.

Not those without irrigation. I have several farming friends who Farm around the Long Prairie / Browerville area and they say the corn and beans are at or close to a critical point. If they don’t get some rain soon ( Not looking like they are ) The best they will do is what they get from crop insurance. A lot of Farmers don’t purchase crop insurance. Most likely only to get one cutting of hay this year as well. The reason why corn and Beans are at a high price is because they are expecting a poor Yield. It doesn’t matter what the price is if you don’t have a crop to sell. I would say this is far from a moderate drought in a lot of the area in Central Minnesota.

I could never be a farmer. Just too many thing beyond your control.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    even with a moderate drought in this areas most farmers will make more $$$ than they have in recent years.

Not those without irrigation. I have several farming friends who Farm around the Long Prairie / Browerville area and they say the corn and beans are at or close to a critical point. If they don’t get some rain soon ( Not looking like they are ) The best they will do is what they get from crop insurance. A lot of Farmers don’t purchase crop insurance. Most likely only to get one cutting of hay this year as well. The reason why corn and Beans are at a high price is because they are expecting a poor Yield. It doesn’t matter what the price is if you don’t have a crop to sell. I would say this is far from a moderate drought in a lot of the area in Central Minnesota.

I could never be a farmer. Just too many thing beyond your control.

I guess I was a little narrow sighted in my thoughts of “this area” towards the Eastern part of the state where we’re located. It’s dry, but our dry stuff on the family land is irrigated, and the pieces in the river bottoms are looking for record crops. To an extent, I do feel for people who plant dry areas without irrigation. However, if they’re running that without insurance then one could argue that’s just a poor business decision.

Hopefully some relief comes soon.

queenswake
    NULL

A few more weeks of this and I’ll be ready for summer to wind down. Been hot and Sunny almost every day since mid May. Crazy!!!!

One of the things I didn’t like when I lived out in DC is that it was sunny nearly everyday. People would laugh when I’d complain about that. But I missed the stretches of cloudy days we normally have in MN. It gives you a breather to just go out and be outside without feeling attacked by the sun.

This year I am suddenly back in the sunny days of DC. Ugh.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

It doesn’t seem that much different than other summers. Maybe more hot days in a row but just because it’s in the 90s isn’t that uncommon.

lindyrig79

I don’t care who ya are… this is a hot summer no doubt

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

If you guys would work in it you would get used to it. It’s really not that hot.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

If you can’t tell its a hotter and dryer summer than normal, your senses are not reading correctly. We’ve already had 14 days over 90 degrees, and its only half over. Combine that with the second hottest June on record and an worsening drought by the day…this is the worst one since 1988 from a statistical stand point.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I agree with the drought but low nineties isn’t that hot even for here.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I agree with the drought but low nineties isn’t that hot even for here.

Depends what time of year it is. For mid July, no, not unusual at all. For the first 16 days of June, that’s very unusual as the average high ranges between 77-82 degrees during that time period so low 90’s would be 15 degrees above average. It wasn’t for just one or two days either it was for the entire first half of the month nonstop.

Then there’s the heat waves hitting the Pacific Northwest last month, southern portions of Canada, etc. We need a major pattern shift towards cooler, wetter weather for months to reverse this trend. Unfortunately that’s not happening anytime soon with yet another heat wave coming.

lindyrig79

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>lindyrig79 wrote:</div>

If you can’t tell its a hotter and dryer summer than normal, your senses are not reading correctly. We’ve already had 14 days over 90 degrees, and its only half over. Combine that with the second hottest June on record and an worsening drought by the day…this is the worst one since 1988 from a statistical stand point.

We are saying the same thing!

stout93
    Becker MN

The recent hot days haven’t been too humid (at least I don’t think they were) so maybe that’s why it doesn’t feel ‘hot’ to some.

And I agree about the sun. I’ve never seen this many sunny days during a summer in 50 years. It’s just relentless. We’re used to maybe 3-4 days per week of sun during the summer and then a low pressure front moving in with clouds for a few days, and that would repeat itself throughout the summer. Not sure if we’ve had more than 2-3 low fronts like that since May..

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

We are saying the same thing!

Its weird because it was very comfortable until about Memorial Day and then BOOM its like someone lit a match since. I don’t like it one bit.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

worsening drought by the day

I got 2.8″ of rain in Maple Grove on Wednesday! (yes, I realize that was very localized)

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Ya that’s a good rain. I got 1.3 inches. Anything helps at this point.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

up here we barely got the street wet!!!!!! and the next 10 days for sure dont look promising……hope there wrong.

yea this heat blows!!!!!!! doah doah

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 156 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.