Home Ionizer Recommendation?

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Thinking of a ionizer. Anybody use these for home use? Do they work? Any recommended brands? My initial check shows them to be quite spendy. I dont want to get one that doesnt work well trying to save money. Do they require cleaning or replacement parts? Thanks!

Reef W

I don’t have an ionizer but have several air purifiers with HEPA filters. What is your goal? I think ionizers are another form of air cleaning but I’m not sure…

djshannon
    Crosslake

I bought a used condominium that a very heavy smoking couple had lived in for about 5 years. It smelt like an old ashtray. Between my wife and I we re-painted the unit with kilz and then coat of latex; scrubbed all the non-painted surfaces with a strong solution of ammonia and water; replaced the carpet and pad; took the furnace fan out and cleaned it in an ultrasonic cleaner; replaces the furnace duct work grills; and replaced all the electrical switches and outlets, and light fixtures; put an commercial Ozone generator in the furnace return and ran it for about a month where it ran on a timer 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off.

When were done it smelled like a new unit no mater what the humidity was. The Ozone generator oxidized all the organics on surfaces that the you couldn’t see or get to.

No one lived in the unit during the process. Smoke organics get EVERYWHERE.

Here is the unit I bought off ebay, worked great with a plug in timer.

Attachments:
    1. Ozone_Generator.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

We got rid of ours as this was our experience.

Do ionizers really work?
    A summary of scientific tests of air purifiers found that most ionizers have no noticeable effect on particulate levels. Their conclusion is that most ionizers are too weak to have an effect. Studies do show an effect if they use very strong ionizers–much stronger than most ionizers on the market.

My .02.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.