Ceramic v. Titanium v. Alum Oxide Guides

• stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

Well, i bought a rod wrapper as I’ve got a 9yo volunteer who wants to learn how to make custom rods. Which means ‘free labor’ for a while…
    So, what do i set him up with for materials. Back in the day, ceramic inserts were considered the ‘cats pajamas’ of quality. But, i’m seeing most high end rods spec’d with titanium guides now.
    What’s the skinny??
    I’ll be running mostly braid.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

If you run Fuji Alconite guides, they will hold up to braid all day long for the life of the rod. Titanium frames with Silcone Carbide rings are the hardest of them all – also the most expensive. And with the titanium frame, you don’t have to worry about corrosion – not really an issue if you don’t take your rods to the salt.

ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

Quote:

If you run Fuji Alconite guides, they will hold up to braid all day long for the life of the rod. Titanium frames with Silcone Carbide rings are the hardest of them all – also the most expensive. And with the titanium frame, you don’t have to worry about corrosion – not really an issue if you don’t take your rods to the salt.

X2 !!! You can`t beat Fuji Alconite for the price.

red89
    Hudson

Alconite hold up to braid very well, but like stated SIC are harder. Alconite is a form of aluminum oxide, but more durable than the aluminum oxide found on cheaper rods.

I think this is something most people don’t think about, but unless I know the only thing im going to be using on a rod is monofilament, I want atleast the alconite, because lesser guides will not hold up to braid and will get grooves. Fuji Hardloy guides are good as well, batson guides on cheaper st.croix rods are probably alright too. Its hard to say where some of the pac bay guides rank.

Check out this link: fishing rod guides

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.