Rod actions?

• eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

Why would I want an extra fast action over a fast or moderate action? I’m looking at a new jigging stick and wondering what the benefits are to the extra fast action. I know a lot of you guys like longer rods, but I prefer shorter myself and am looking at an Avid in either 6′ or 6’3″ probably med-light for jigs and sufix fuse 6-8lbs. So should I go with the 6′ med-light fast action or 6’3″ med-light x-fast action. Jig size would be 1/16 to about 3/8 with 1/8 being used the most I’d guess. Any help would be great.

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

i think it’s just how flexible the rod is. so x fast would be flimsy and fast would be a bit stiffer in the tip. let me know if i’m wrong. what do i know i’m just a dumb musky fisherman. there’s no feeling the bite in that.

backlasher
    Fridley, Mn

Are you sure the wife will approve of a new St. Croix with the new baby and all?!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Here is a good reply by one VERY good jig fisherman…A St. Croix 6’3″ MLXF or MXF is an excellent rod for those that like short rods. For a longer rod for casting jigs/plastics on mono line…many favor the 68 MXFs.

Quote:

My mono rods for jig casting…

I like a very fast yet “delicate” tip section that loads under the weight of light jigs making long casts effortless and bite detection when fishing light jigs easier. The action on my jig rods are all extra fast which offers a smooth and quick transition from the tip section into the back bone of the blank. This type of action allows an angler to detect a light bite with the tip, and on the hookset, access the “power” of the rod by quickly transitioning from load in the tip section only into the rest of the rod. Not all “fast action” rods are created equal and to date I’ve only found a couple manufacturers that get this right. By and large most rods marked “extra fast” would barely make a “moderate fast” rating from some of the companies that specialize in this type of rod.

What I try and avoid when shopping for jig casting rods…

Too many rod manufacturers try and make a “fast or extra fast” tip section by increasing the diameter of the blank at the tip which makes the rod feel “clubby.” Going this route makes casting light jigs difficult in the best of situations as the tip section is too stiff to load under the weight of the jig. And a clubby rod tip is miserable for bite detection…. basically the fish feels you before you ever see the rod tip move.

——————–
    James Holst – In-Depth Outdoors TV Host
    IDA Guides Guide Service

tom_gursky

Quote:

i think it’s just how flexible the rod is. so x fast would be flimsy and fast would be a bit stiffer in the tip. let me know if i’m wrong. what do i know i’m just a dumb musky fisherman. there’s no feeling the bite in that.

Just the opposite is true…Xfast rods are stiffest, they only flex in the upper 20% of the rod. Fast actions flex about 30-35% from the tip and any flex more than that is moderate or slow.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

The other added bonus to the extra fast action is that the rest of the rod can be a little stiffer. With all the bend being in the last 18 or so inches of the rod, you can put a lot of the fish fighting power in the rod.

The Avid 69MLXF has a ton of power, but a really soft tip. This is great for feeling a 1/8oz jig, but beefy enough to pull in a 30+ pound cat.

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

Extra-fast get my vote. I’ve got both fast and extra fast actions and I prefer the extra-fast tips. I get get into the backbone of the rod faster and get better hooksets. Personal preference is key. I’d definatly try them both out before you decide, either in the store, or one of Dean’s on the water tests is ideal, then you get to feel them in action.

tom_gursky

Quote:

So should I go with the 6′ med-light fast action or 6’3″ med-light x-fast action. Jig size would be 1/16 to about 3/8 with 1/8 being used the most I’d guess. Any help would be great.

Having had them both, I’d opt for the 63MXF…they both throw 1/8oz jigs, and the extra backbone of the MXF is just a bonus you’ll appreciate when you stick a 12 lber…

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Extra-fast get my vote. I’ve got both fast and extra fast actions and I prefer the extra-fast tips. I get get into the backbone of the rod faster and get better hooksets. Personal preference is key. I’d definatly try them both out before you decide, either in the store, or one of Dean’s on the water tests is ideal, then you get to feel them in action.

X2 I broke one of my [7′ P: medium lite A: extra fast] rods this spring and had to switch to a [6’6″ P: medium A: fast] rod for the rest of the day. The difference in casting lightweight jigs (1/16 oz) was like a slap in the face. I like both rods for a specific job, but when I tried to do double duty with the 6’6″, I was limited in what I could achieve.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

I’d prefer a extra fast for them jig weights, but I’ve seen two different brand rods with ex fast tips and they were slightly different, so I tend to go also by actually picking the rod up and looking at it versus just ordering by action.

Once the weight of the jig goes up a bit, I tend to go to a Fast tip though.

Al

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

You need to think of your rods in terms of power AND action. They have been labeled and spoken of improperly by so many for so long – for instance, you’ll hear Bill Dance talk about a medium heavy action rod. Medium Heavy is the power category.

As has been stated above, extra heavy will have a very sensitive tip, but it will quickly transition to the backbone. Fast action, a little further down the blank…moderate fast slower yet…and moderate. You see.

Then there’s power. Most will pay attention to the description: Medium Light, Medium, Medium Heavy, etc. This is a fairly standard rating, but every company uses a little different category. Check the line and lure weight rating. That will give the clearest description (although not every company rate them the same). The best way to check if you like the power and action of a rod is to fish it.

Another area that promotes sensitivity is a lightweight, high quality graphite blank. Very important in rod selection. Lastly, and probably most important is a well constructed rod. Of course, I’m a proponent of a custom built rod.

Good luck and good fishing.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.