anyone running an EGO mower

• stevenoak

I’m looking for an electric walk behind mower. Not for any green or woke reason. More due to worn out bad shoulders. My property is 100′ x 110′. Well over half is house, concrete or landscaping. Currently using a commercial Honda. The first Honda I’ve not been happy with. Leaks oil like my old 76 Harley and has never mowed well enough to not leave a strip bent over, not cut. I’ve sharpened the blade to the point you could filet a bluegill and impeached the governor a little. Have 4 other Hondas motors I wouldn’t trade for anything. Looks like Milwaukee is a close contender. But reviews show the metal deck rusting inside of 2 years. That will lead to grass build up. Researching, Green works and Ryobi are in the running a way behind for one reason or another. Clean complete cut is important. The lawn is thicker than most, due to the bright idea to fertilize. Don’t enjoy lawn work. But hate to have it look like crap after all the work. Willing to go the $800 to $1,100 commercial grade to get a clean hassle-free cut.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I have been running an electric 60V Toro for about 6 years now, and only regret is not switching sooner. Only issue with them, imo, is depending on length and thickness of grass, you may not be able to do the whole thing on one battery. I also got a Toro electric snowblower, leaf blower and chainsaw, so I have plenty of backup batteries in case I need them, and I do need them periodically. Usually due to letting the grass grow too long, a heavy snowfall or fall cleanups on the lawn. Haven’t messed with winterizing, summerizing, oil, gas, or carburetors since making the switch!

petemoller

I’ve had an Ego mower for 2 years and it works great with my city lot. I have 2 batteries, but one is plenty for my needs. It runs about 60 minutes on a charge.

Brook Filson

I purchased a EGO mower from Home Depot 3 yrs ago. Love the mower, self propelled with adjustable speed. Love the mower and would never go back to gas power.

Ed

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I just spent time and money going through annual tuneup stuff: spark plugs, changing oil, coolant, and air filters on the JD X540 and a JD Z994R.

Battery powered isn’t even close to an option for us, but when it is I will gladly make the jump. Even with the upfront costs it won’t take long to save us money and TIME based on upkeep for 2 mowers and the burnt diesel/gasoline.

Riverrat

My friend who isn’t the most regular lawn mower has had issues with hers. The first time out she overheated a battery to the point it died. They replaced that battery but if you want to let your lawn get thick and long then I wouldnt do it. Seems best for people that can keep their grass short all the time.

JoeMX1825
    MN

The best strategy with battery powered devices (Mowers, Blowers, Trimmers, etc) is to transition ALL of your yard tools to utilize the one battery design…I did that with Echo 56volt products a year ago (Chainsaw, Trimmer, Blower, hedge trimmer) its so nice to just deal with 1 battery that runs them all (I haven’t upgraded my Toro mower yet because it runs like a champ)

Stanley

We stayed at a VRBO where the owner had 3 properties all connected and he had an EGO zero turn that he used. The landscape all ran downhill to the lake and he said he didn’t have any issues and really liked the mower. Said it took 1 1/2-2 batteries to mow which I would guess was a little over an acre of grass.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The best strategy with battery powered devices (Mowers, Blowers, Trimmers, etc) is to transition ALL of your yard tools to utilize the one battery design…I did that with Echo 56volt products a year ago (Chainsaw, Trimmer, Blower, hedge trimmer) its so nice to just deal with 1 battery that runs them all (I haven’t upgraded my Toro mower yet because it runs like a champ)

This^^^^.

Electric is here to stay because for the average homeowner type user, it everything they need with none of the noise or maintenance hassles of gasoline power.

I’m switching over to Milwaukee for home use. So far I have a pole saw, hedge trimmer, blower, and soon a string trimmer. Quiet, no stink, no maintenance. Pull the trigger and go.

stevenoak

I was looking hard at the Milwaukee, but the deck rusting was a deal ender. I like the fact they have ran the same battery forever. Any of my 20 De Walt tools with 4 different size battery configurations would be converted to Milwaukee if they quit. With my new 16’x46′ garage addition, my side yard is 7.5′, other 3 sides are 20′ or less. It won’t get me out of mower maintenance. I have 3 neighbors in their 80’s, a car salesman and a police officer that aren’t mechanically inclined that I do all theirs every spring along with minor repairs since I retired. But they all are coming up on replacement and tend to follow my lead when buying that kind of stuff. Thanks for the replies. Like to hear some more. At this point I will most likely go with the biggest EGO.

TH

I moved to a new house in 2020. I bought an EGO for some hard to get to places with the rider. It cuts great and I really like not having to wear hearing protection. EGO is getting more products that use the same batteries. I lifted an EGO backpack blower at Ace the other day and with batteries weighed more than my husqvarna blower which is their biggest one.

jwellsy

I went the Stihl battery mower route. It was half the money as the Milwaukee (on sale with their largest battery). But, it doesn’t have the headlights like the Milwaukee. I’m very happy with it. It takes about 1/4 of a battery to mow my small yard.

stevenoak

I have a De Walt blower and weed eater and Stihl backpack. Don’t think I’d want to wrestle that battery weight in any of those. Only use the backpack when they combine the field behind the house with a 30-mph west wind, or the snowplow pushes gravel up in the grass. Far as headlights. I’m 67, if I don’t get the grass cut by supper. It ain’t gettin mowed till tomorrow. I may look at Stihl tomorrow. They don’t show up in top picks often but have had good luck with their stuff and have a good dealer.

MX1825

My son and sil both have ego products. My sil even has a fan you hook a hose up to it and it throws a cooling mist while you have cocktail. doah They love them.

nord

We got ours from Lowes and I love it. The battery last for an hour, but it only takes me about thirty minutes to mow our extra lot. Last fall I just made sure I cleaned under the deck and blew the entire mower off. This spring I lubricated the wheels and the blade and she was ready to go.

Neil Vanderbosch

I have dewalt, have had it for four years works well. bought mainly because i have dewalt tools, so have several batteries. Best part of an electric mower is is if you run out of juice just shrug your shoulders and wait till you have charged batteries, lawn isn’t going anyware.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I have dewalt, have had it for four years works well. bought mainly because i have dewalt tools, so have several batteries. Best part of an electric mower is is if you run out of juice just shrug your shoulders and wait till you have charged batteries, lawn isn’t going anyware.

I have dewalt 20v battery stuff too and was thinking about it. How long roughly does it last say on a 4 amp hour battery?

Tlazer

I like Ego products. I have both the electric snowblower and the 760cfm leaf blower. Ego has many different outdoor products but no hand tools like drills, where Milwaukee has lots of hand tools but limited outdoor products like lawnmowers, which is a problem for most of us because of the costs of the batteries. I think Ego now has over 12 different mowers. Electric to me is the way to go especially for older people. My wife can’t start the walk behind mower, Stihl weed trimmer or the gas snowblower, but she was able to use the ego snowblower when I was away on a fishing trip. I was just over to her friends house whose husband passed away to explain what gas needed to go in her mower and weed trimmer and get them started for her. If those had all been electric it would be much nicer for her since she has a hard time starting the gas products and not having to fuss with gasoline.

Neil Vanderbosch

the mower came with two 4 ahr batteries, they last about 30 minutes or so, i have two off brand batteries also but they only last about 15 minutes. I have the dewalt chainsaw and that came with a couple large flex volt batteries and they last quite a while. I usually have use four batteries to get the job done. That is the nice thing about the dewalt is the batteries are fairly inexpensive and you can use them for all your tools.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Just asked the guy down the street who has an Ego mower. He said he hast the “biggest battery they offered” when he got it 2 years ago. His yard takes 40-50 minutes to mow according to him. He said he has never run the battery dead. I will add that he has a nice lawn and doesn’t wait until the grass gets very long before he mows. I’m sure the performance would vary depending on grass height.

Last fall I was on a tree and brush cleanup mission with a charity group. I pulled out my Milwaukee pole saw with a 6 amp hour battery and some loud mouth mentioned that he’d never be able to make do with those electric tools because the batteries die so quick. 4 hours later I was still cutting limbs while he was complaining about how tired he was loading them on the trailer. I hadn’t even switched batteries yet.

I have a 6 amp hour battery and 2x 4 amp hour batteries. With those three batteries and a charger I can cut continuously and never have to wait for a fresh battery.

Again for the homeowner user it looks to me like the days of electric tools being some kind of compromise and lacking in performance are over. Just as with gasoline power equipment you have to size the equipment and the batteries correctly for your level of use.

3Rivers

EGO is at or near the top in every category of power tools that they make. You pay a premium, but they all work well.

I’m very happy with my mower and the one 10ah battery is plenty for my 1/2 acre yard. I have read some things about people saying they run into mohawking due to the lighter deck and perhaps not enough RPM. It sounds like the latest and greatest EGO with metal deck and higher output has taken care of that issue, and comes with a higher price of course.

Here’s a torture test I did with mine. I was amazed I did all this on a single battery charge:

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

That torture test looks like it did better then my cub cadet rider would have

deertracker

My mom has had an Ego mower for at least 5 years. She still has her original battery. It’s perfect for her south metro yard size.
    DT

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have EGO weed whip and blower. Its nice they share batts. Once my Honda mower dies I would likely get an EGO mower. But Ill probably be in assisted living by the time that happens and no longer required to mow lawns……

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.