Youth baseball season.

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I stepped in as the head coach this season for my sons baseball team. Myself and another guy I’ve worked with over the years coached this team. There were many ups and downs through out the season, but we ended up with a undefeated perfect regular season. It was awesome.
    Yesterday in that nasty heat was tournament day. After a few games going triple over time yesterday we went all the way to the championship game. Our first game was at 8am and our 5th and last game was at 10pm under the lights. This game went on to 1130pm. It was a long day, and the boys on both teams fell completely apart. My son being 7th grade was the youngest walk on on the team most other boys were 9th grade. Mason hit back to back 3 run home runs in the final game and pitched his 2 innings with no hits. I couldn’t be more proud to have coached this team. 2nd place was a completely fine finish after I watched them leave absolutely everything they had on the field. We seen everything from happy to crying to nasty attitudes yesterday and it was the funnest season I have had as a coach. Watching my 7th grader throw the fastest ball in the entire league and turn in to a stud pitcher was awesome especially in a 9th grade league. When he wasn’t on the mound he was a stud at first base. I’m finally at a point where the sport is 100 percent competitive, no participation trophy’s and everyone earns a spot on the team. It really reminded me of my time as a youth ball player. What a blast to be part of. And I was even asked to be coach again next season.

Attachments:
    1. image000000258-1.jpg

2. 20240727_225338-1-scaled.jpg

3. 20240727_211748-scaled.jpg

4. image000000258.jpg

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

congratulations!!! to all of you!!! applause

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

They playing on a softball field with no pitching mound? It looks like an all dirt infield.

Long day in that heat. A job and trophy earned, no doubt.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

They playing on a softball field with no pitching mound? It looks like an all dirt infield.

Yes. They don’t see a real mound until 10th grade high school ball.
    The heat was brutal

ThunderLund78

Awesome Bearcat! I coached both my boys in youth ball and it’s a commitment but so rewarding and fun. Congrats to your team, you can see the exhaustion in the boys’ faces! I wouldn’t have wanted to play in that heat yesterday. Now I’m off to watch my oldest play in the town & country league townball semi-finals today.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

Yes. They don’t see a real mound until 10th grade high school ball.
    The heat was brutal

Really? Our 8 year olds are pitching off artificial mounds.

Grass infields are not very common anymore.

Congrats to the boys.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

That’s a grind of a day in that heat, congrates to the team.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Congrats to the boys.
    [/quote]

We don’t have grass in fields. Dirt is 96 ft. Bases are 90.

LabDaddy1

Wow, badass. Good job and congrats

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Mn state fall ball starts in a month and that’s all mound pitching and big league rules. That’s a whole other league. Where we kiss 80mph fast balls.
    8 yr olds on a mound is going to be a school by school thing. They also play at 70 ft and not 90. Most the outfield is playing at the 90 ft

Deuces

Having 3 girls I don’t have a clue how baseball tourneys run.

Is there pool play prior then brackets start on the weekend? 2 and out?

Last softball tourney of the year for the kiddo this weekend too, been a fun year. Took the kiddo fishing Friday to help acclimate her to the heat, of course she sprained her wrist on a hookset that turned into a snag lol, got it on video at least.

Awesome job to your son. Sport parents certainly recognize great athletes, but we also recognize behind the scenes there’s typically parents who have put in alot of work to provide the opportunites to get great results. Nice work to you both toast

No grass! Playing 3rd I always appreciated some thick grass!

Ripjiggen

Typically pool play then brackets. Helps guarantee 3 games.

Deuces

Gold silver bronze brackets?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<

Congrats to the boys.

I’ve been out of the game for almost 30 years so I just wondered when I saw the differences. We had real grass infield and a mound. I quit playing when I got to Babe Ruth level. Wasn’t good enough anymore.

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ripjiggen wrote:</div>

Gold silver bronze brackets?

Sometimes otherwise pool play to seed brackets….all depends on the tournament. Like most kids sports tournaments they like to get the kids at least 3 games guaranteed.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Congrats to you and your boy on the awesome season Ron. WTG.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Good for you BC, that’s awesome to hear. Your kid sounds like a stud.

Wildlifeguy

Hey Bearcat, what league is that out of curiosity? My older son played 13u Gopher State this summer, we’re nowhere that level, from the sounds of things, just rec league in our case, but pretty sure all the travel teams were playing mounds and 75′ base paths I think? All kids except maybe a few held back are going into eighth grade in the fall.

B-man

Awesome Bearcat! Mason is kicking ass!

I’ve been an assistant coach for our boys 9U team this season. They had a slow start but have come a long way and have their third play off game Tuesday of this week.

Yesterday was the annual family day event for all of the youth ball teams from our two schools (6U-9U-12U boys baseball/girls softball teams).

They had individual competitions for different things for each group. In 9U Ben took 2nd place for farthest hit and Hank took first place for fastest pitch (42mph).

Of course I was coaxed into throwing too, managed to pitch 61mph (it’s been almost 25 years) mrgreen

After the kids stuff was done, we played a full 9 inning adult baseball game. Man it was a TON of fun, but that heat was brutal

I don’t know how your kids managed to play five games in that crap lol

Every part of my body still hurts today rotflol

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Bearcat, who’s Mn State? Is that MYAS?

Brittman

There is Metro Baseball League and Minnesota Youth Athletic Service (MYAS). Both run intercommunity youth traveling team baseball. Minnesota traveling baseball is split primarily across two youth sports league “francizes”. There is also Little League Baseball and VFW baseball (before HS) that compete with the two MN operations. Lot’s of options in Minnesota.

MYAS has AAA (formerly A), AA (formerly B), and A level traveling baseball 9U-19U. The push to “9” traveling baseball occurred about 10 years ago or so.

MYAS also runs a recreational league (13-15) program for communities that cannot field enough teams themselves. MYAS has both competitive and recreational leagues in the fall.

Most fall leagues are Sunday games only so as not to compete too directly with football.

Brittman

MYAS traveling baseball … weekend tournaments, regular season games, and practices is why June was not much of a fishing month for me for about 6 years or so.

Brittman

Congrats to a fun season and way to go stepping up to coach the team and keep the season going !!!

MX1825

Congrats Coach BC! Congrats to the whole team! waytogo waytogo
    That heat had to be brutal.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Nice work BC!!! Those kids might not realize it yet, but they are making some lifelong memories.

I’ve been out of the game for almost 30 years so I just wondered when I saw the differences. We had real grass infield and a mound.

Well growing up in Tonka didn’t your chauffeurs take you to the field too? jester rotflol

Stanley

The whole no mound thing seems weird. My son has been playing travel ball since 11u and we have always had a mound. Sometimes it’s an artificial mound but always have had one. Either way great season and I’m glad the kids all had fun.

Deuces

The kiddos softball team fought back yesterday and won 1st in their bracket, 6 games yesterday, last 4 back to back. Super fun to watch.

Got a sweet farmers tan to match, I’m a Pokémon ball for the week woot toast

Attachments:
    1. 20240728_190700-scaled.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

MYAS traveling baseball … weekend tournaments, regular season games, and practices is why June was not much of a fishing month for me for about 6 years or so.

I hear you–we’re in the thick of that (though we play in MBL). Just wrapped up Gopher State Tournament of Champs this past weekend, so I get a brief break before football starts. We had a great season–won two tournaments and took 2nd at another. Also took 4th at the MBT State Tournament. I was never a big baseball guy, but I’ve coached with some legends the past couple of years and now really enjoy the game (and know enough to be dangerous).

Attachments:
    1. IMG6646943699885653685-scaled.jpg

MNdrifter

I took charge this season of Sons 12u AA team since previous head coach moved to Florida just before the season started. It was definitely a struggle. 2 practices a week, 2 games a week, tournaments every other weekend. Went .500 on league play, 7/12 place for the league, and .500 on tournament games. Made it to MYAS state last weekend. It Was hot!! Boys showed up Friday to play. Even though we lost both pool games they were close games against tough teams that went deep into the championship bracket. We got bumped to losers bracket and went 1 and done. Got smoked by Royalton. I was extremely disappointed by that as we had plenty of arm to make it to the end. My kid pitched 4 innings Friday at 82 pitches, had 9K’s. Got on base every at bat this weekend with two doubles and 5 RBI’s. He really figured out the batting this season. I went all the way through the book Thursday night to set batting order. Since who was doing books never identified walks all I could figure out was on base percentage, he was team leader at .743. Was a fun season, but I’m glad it’s over. He will be changing schools this year and will play baseball for that association. They are well set up with coaches, so I will be hanging it up. He will be playing Club Fall ball, starts in 2 weeks.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.