Wyoming October Mule Deer Clothing System

• jake47
    WI

I was one of the lucky ones to draw a tag last week for Wyoming mule deer. This is my first western hunt so I am super excited and a bit overwhelmed with the outfitting that needs to happen between now and then – which is why I’m here.

I’ve decided to focus on upgraded optics instead of a highly technical clothing system for this trip. We will be doing a lot of glassing so optics will be key. A member of our group isn’t as mobile as he would like so we are bringing the UTVs along and thus I don’t need to be as concerned with weight/insulation ratio that the leaders (Sitka, Kuiu, etc.) offer. I also am in the process of getting slimmed down and don’t want to spend a lot of money this year only to have to sell next year.

Ultimately, I’m interested in clothing lineups that have worked well for others that have done similar hunts. I don’t want to be super bulky as I’m sure we will be on the move a bunch, but I do want to stay warm and dry to remain able to hunt no matter what the weather throws at us. I should mention that I have the base layers covered so only looking at hunting layers, puffy layers and rain gear. Not very concerned with camo pattern. Thanks!

isu22andy

Good merino base layers are worth their weight in gold . After that , I ran another merino layer , a fleece layer , and a vest and a puffy and that was enough to keep me plenty warm in about any situation when I was in Montana mule deer hunting . Early october should be plenty warm yet especially if you keep moving . All my stuff is first lite . Their uncompahgre puffy jacket is hands down my favorite piece .

Buffalo Fishhead

Depending on where and when you are hunting in October in Wyoming, a T-shirt may be all you need.

Good decision to spend money on optics rather than overpriced clothes.

Buffalo Fishhead

realtreeap10
    Over there

My first year elk hunting in Colorado – late October, I used my MN hunting gear. Didn’t buy anything special as I wanted to see what I needed prior to buying. The big thing is layering so you can take off layers as needed with temp changes. At 10,000ft it would be freezing at wake up and 70+ in the afternoon, so removing layers was critical. Think I had 4 top layers and 3 bottom layers when I was out there. Top layer was blaze coat shell, sweatshirt (blaze), fleece and then base merino.

Michael Best

If it was me and not wanting to spend the money on high end clothing.
    I would go with sone type of a fleece quarter zip and a puffy. You can get decent puffy jackets from REi for a fraction of what a high end one will cost.

A good hard shell layer will be needed as well.

When it comes to base layers you have synthetics and merino. After a couple days synthetics will stink pretty good. Merino not so much. Synthetics dry quick but hold no warmth rating when wet. Merino will hold its warmth rating when wet.

Another thing I always wore on all my western hunts were gators. Once you wear a pair you will understand why they are great.

A set of trekking poles is like being in wheel drive when you have a loaded pack. I always had a set with me while out west as well.

wkw

I’ve spent 30 years in eastern Wyoming during hunting season.
    Not hunting,but shipping cattle. What I’ve noticed is the Easterners show up looking like an L L Bean catalog. RealTree Camo, etc.
    There aren’t a lot of trees in Wyo. A pair of Carharts would be better.

hillhiker
    SE MN

My first few trips I spent my money on merino base layers of various weights, a cheapish softshell to cut the wind, and puffy from REI. Nothing was camo just natural colors. Have with a winter hat, gloves, and enough layers to stay worm if it gets cold. My first trip to Wyoming it was in the 90’s the first few days, and then suddenly the temps dropped and we woke up to 6″ of snow and cold for the last 2 days of our trip. I still pack very similar now and have only stepped up to higher end camo on a few items I found at extremely steep discounts.

The majority of my money spent for those first couple trips was on good glass, boots, and a quality pack. Start breaking in the boots now, and get in better shape than you think you need to be in. Fancy clothes only get you so far if your feet and body are shot after the first couple days.

isu22andy

If it was me and not wanting to spend the money on high end clothing.
    I would go with sone type of a fleece quarter zip and a puffy. You can get decent puffy jackets from REi for a fraction of what a high end one will cost.

A good hard shell layer will be needed as well.

When it comes to base layers you have synthetics and merino. After a couple days synthetics will stink pretty good. Merino not so much. Synthetics dry quick but hold no warmth rating when wet. Merino will hold its warmth rating when wet.

Nothing I always wore on all my western hunts were gators. Once you wear a pair you will understand why they are great.

A set of trekking poles is like being in wheel drive when you have a loaded pack. I always had a set with me while out west as well.

Gators and trekking poles are both worth bringing . Sawyer squeeze to refill your water supply . Advil pm to drown out your buddies snoring .

jake47
    WI

Thanks all for the confirmation that I am on the right track! Gators and trekking poles will be included and my new Crispi’s have 15+ miles on them since I drew the tag last week – all with a 40# pack on. Targeting 200-300 by the time I head west.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

What time of year are you going? That can make a big difference.

I’m fairly heavily invested into both first lite and Kuiu, but there are tons of backpacking brands of clothes that are much cheaper for the same performance if you’re OK wearing solid colors. Outdoor research and marmot in particular have been good to me.

Follow this general rule:
    Merino base
    Synthetic grid fleece style mid layer
    Puffy jacket for insulation when you’re sitting/glassing.
    Hard/rain shell to cut the wind.

Tweak that a bit depending on time of year and activity level but that is what I usually follow.

candiru

Altitiude? Mountains or prairie?

To me a lot of controlling temperature is your head and neck. I usually use a ball cap with a stocking cap over it. I carry a thin face mask and neck gaiter in colder weather. You can be walking and plenty warm and then stop and glass in the wind and be cold.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.