WX2060 Package Conundrum

• martyb

Planning on trading up to a 2060 from my MX1825. I am a Lowrance guy, but want to get full functionality out of any systems I buy….so, since the 2060 package comes with the MinnKota, I figure I am going to have to switch to Humminbird. Question for those of you with Birds, what would you run at the bow and console? I am running a pair of hds8 gen2s now ( one permanent at the console and one I move or the bow if I am not trolling). I am thinking about a permanent mount at the bow and maybe another at the stern… what is going to give me the best bang for the buck and allow me to take full advantage of the Link? Would it make sense to keep the Hds12 and switch to the Motorguide?

I really wanted to go to Garmins, but then I lose out on any chance to link to a trolling motor.

Bones74

I have a 2060 also with the same issue and after two years with the minn kotta I am switching mine to the motorguide so I can use my hds units I already have. I think it will be cheaper than changing to birds and trying to learn a new system

martyb

It sucks, have to either pay to switch out one or the other… might have to order with just the hummingbird prewire…

BIG Motorguide fan here. Love the wireless foot pedal, response time on the head, light weight and most of all GPS accuracy. I currently run a Motorguide linked to my Lowrance HDS units on my 2060 and I absolutely love it.

Coldfront

I purchased a WX2060 last and had the same problem as I had with my WX1900. I like the HDS so I run the HDS12 on the dash and installed a Helix 10 on the dash with all the wiring up front so I could move it up front. When it is on the dash I use the transducer in stalled at the rear. I also have a switch box so I run the Helix off the transducer from the trolling motor if I am not going to be up front like if I am trolling with the kicker and using the MinKota to steer. I like the Lake Master better than insight.

Coldfront

I don’t think Skeeter changed their seat pedestals for 2017 the stock pedestal offere no cushion, my back found that out. Springfield is the OEM manufacture of the stock pedestal and when I called them the standard pedestal is just for adjustment they will you that it is not for pounding waves. They recommended the EZE Ride pedestal which I purchased but still not good so I move that one to the passengers side and purchased an airwave for the driver side wow and I can still take out my carpet to wash.

Bones74

I honestly have never been happy with the god accuaracy of the terrova so I hope I am fixing that issue as well. The terrova seems lazy to me. Very slow to react

Coldfront

On the Ulterra there are two spot locks I use the legacy version, I didn’t MinKota new spot lock

martyb

cold front, do you get a lot of interference running the helix and hds at the same time?

Coldfront

no I don’t interference. I did forget one thing, yes the remote is large for the Minkota but after having the stow and deploy on the MinKota I would give it up for all the tea in china. It is a big safety item in my book as I am getting a little older and not as nimble as I once was.

sktrwx2200

When I had my MX, I had a HDS10 for stucture scan and sonar.. and had a Hbird unit right next to it that I only used as Mapping and had it wired to the Trolling motor. I think that is best of both worlds. Love Bird mapping but prefer Lowrance for finding fish.

I would keep the HDS12 and buy a smaller helix base sonar/gps model (pretty cheep) and use it for mapping and LINK with your MinnKota.

martyb

Thanks for the insight. I think I will look into getting a couple Helix 9 or 10s to complement the Lowrance… Unless I can find a 16 leftover without the HDS ….

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Your dealer will probably take that pre-rigged Lowrance in trade towards the purchase of those Helix units. Worth asking at least…

The Ulterra is really, really great. They improved the spot-lock accuracy, it responds quickly, and the stow/deploy feature is a great convenience especially in rough water. Make sure it’s got iPilot Link so that you can network it to your bow and console Humminbirds. This also allows for future expansion, for example I just purchased another display to my network, adding a track mounted unit in the stern.

martyb

Dealer will swap out The Lowrance for a Helix 10 g2n (and a little more). Going with the Helix 10 Mega on the console with a Helix 7 on the bow and a Helix 7 in the stern, upgrading to the new iPilot Link with Bluetooth. That should do it for a while….

Now just need to find a buyer for my MX…..

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Going with the Helix 10 Mega on the console with a Helix 7 on the bow and a Helix 7 in the stern, upgrading to the new iPilot Link with Bluetooth.

Sweet setup for a great boat. Enjoy!!!

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

That is a cool color scheme. I don’t think I’ve seen that one before.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.