Wood speed burner

• Netguy
    Minnetonka

Last fall/winter I cut down ~25 tress (mostly dead or infested green ash). I specifically designed/assembled this to burn dry branches/brush so I wouldn’t have to haul them to the city’s drop off site. It is not a fire pit. It burns really fast. I can almost keep feeding it as fast as I cut it to length. Very little smoke except for start up. Any wood that is not dry and it slows the burn rate considerably.
    The first course (blocked by grass) is the same block laid flat so combustion air is drawn in from the bottom. After a burn I would make sure these airways are clear.
    Most of the blocks have cracked. It wasn’t intended to be permanent. I will take it down before winter.

Anybody have any other designs for burning wood fast?

Attachments:
    1. speed-burner-scaled.jpg

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Got any pics?

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I did attach one and I can see it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Do thr same thing but with a heat rated block instead of the ones you used

Gregg Gunter

I like it. I imagine air flows through the block as it heats. Does that impact the burn rate?

Red Eye

Seems like extra work to cut brush to fit in this container. Pile of dry brush burns pretty dam fast and hot laying in a pile on the ground. It even gets air from all sides.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I’m sure there’s some convection in the slots in the vertical blocks. Maybe some gets into the burn chamber and helps burn the smoke.

Once I saw those blocks at Menards I knew what I would build. Cheap and quick and works very well. I think another key to it is it’s not very wide.
    When burning dry wood and a lot of it, there was only a couple of inches of ash in the bottom. Burn some still green and it goes up X 4 and takes a lot longer to burn/smolder.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

That’s a Red Green Solo Stove, so another design would be a Solo Stove.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.