Minnetonka Friday Report

• big-northern
    Plymouth MN

Not much to report in the way of fish on the boat. Got a 3 lb bass on a taildancer at the botton of a weedline and a small walleye on a fathead but it took a long time. Main lake water temps 59-60. No wind almost all day and very few boats. Everywhere I looked there were these birds that I think might have been immature loons. Plumage was different but the beak and behavior was the same. The 4″ sunnies were everywhere, at the surface being harrassed by the gulls. Minnetonka with no boats and waves is a little weird.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Are you sure those werent comorants? They have been migrating heavily lately and the numbers are up. Similar body to a loon, very dark in color.

Thanks for the tonka report! Now that the sturgeon days are coming to an end I will have a chance to chase some local walleyes too!

big-northern
    Plymouth MN

Maybe they were, but they did not have the hook on the end of the bill that seems characteristic of a cormorant. The bill was straight, and sharp. Plumage was white and grey. I must have seen at least half a dozen without looking hard so maybe they are some migrating species instead of immature loons. They were definately diving and fishing. I watched one work at least a minute before he got the sunfish he caught turned the right way to eat.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

With white plumage I would say Mergansers.

Was the majority of the body white/grey with a dark head?

bigbritt

they are loons…loons change color in the fall. lots of them on tonka too

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.