Waconia or Tonka?

• david_scott
    Twin Cities

Anything been happening on these lakes lately? I havent been hearing much and I wouldnt mind checking one of them out some day soon.

mstanley
    Shorewood,MN

Not a hot bite for walleyes on either lake. Crappies are OK on Tonka but you will have to do some sorting. I am hearing Waconia is slow for panfish. Some of the other area lakes have a good crappie bite going. I have fished Sarah the last few trips and have done well. The last two trips have been exploring some spots for walleyes and panfish on Minnetonka well off the beaten track. Plan to do some more of that this weekend. Let me know when you want to try Sarah or Minnetonka Dave. Can’t do Sundays or Thursday PM but otherwise most weekday evenings and Saturdays work.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

We will have to hook up soon stanman. I am pretty tied up through this weekend, weekdays are usually do-able.

I know there was a hot bite on the walleyes out of excelsior bay earlier this year. All of the reports I have heard have been spotty. I uually spend some time on the lake during the winter, but the early season *iffy* ice kept me away. I did a whole lot of fishing on a couple different lakes in my back yard I knew I wasnt going to fall through.. a change of scenery is good!

Tonka is a good lake, a very good mixed bag of fishing opportunites.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I’m heading out to Sarah Sunday morning on a pike hunt. With any luck, we’ll get something decent!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Sarah…boy that brings back memories. Years ago we were out there waiting for a flag to go up. Off in the distance, around the point we could hear Boom! Boom ! Boom! We finally had to go look. There were these two guys with a “permanant” fish house, probably 10 X 12. Instead of hauling it out on runners or wheels they WERE ROLLING IT. Yup, grab and edge lift it up and Boom! All the way across the lake. Hilarious…

Rootski

golowpro

I’ve been catching some eyes on Tonka in deep water 30-40 ft. All kinds of sizes from 13-22 inch fish. Nothing too hot, but between 3-6 fish per evening.

mstanley
    Shorewood,MN

BP congrats! I generally do well early ice and then struggle. I haven’t tried the 30 to 40ft depths. Are you fishing the bottom of a steep break along a point or a flat? Don’t mention your specific area on the lake. You will get swamped.

golowpro

Stanman-sent you a pm

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.