Anyone want to fish Calhoun Saturday?

• david_scott
    Twin Cities

I am planning on hitting Calhoun in a un-specified location this coming saturday afternoon/evening. I would like to get out there in the afternoon hours and get a tip up out while I bounce around a bit on some deeper structure and set up for a evening walleye bite.

There is lots of room to fish out there, anyone interested in joining is more than welcome to tag along.

I got a call from Bob Moore and audemp this evening an they put a nice 42″ musky on the ice along with a couple northerns just before dark on their walleye gear.

I have an area in mind, but I am not going to post it to the public until closer to this coming saturday, I dont want the lurkers pre-fishing the spot for me I have fished the area extensively in past years and it has treated me well, I havent seen anyone on the spot this year, or possibly last year?

This is not an official IDA event. Its just a reason to get out and fish! Maybe we can all throw a couple dollars into a *big fish pot* from 2 – 6 pm and see who can go home a few dollars more wealthy!

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Sounds like fun, I might be game. I’d probably head over early, as I’d like to make a day of it. Perhaps I could stop by Bob’s for bait and someone could show me where to go.
    How much ice is out there?

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Plenty enough for walking Your not allowed to drive on the inner city lakes. I would guess 14″ a couple days ago where I was.

If you want to head out early, let me know Do you still remember how to get to Moores?

Lake Calhoun is near the St Louis Park/South Minneapolis border.

From Moores bait, head north on Lyndale(right out of the driveway) and go north about 1 1/3 mile to 36th street. Hang a left on 36th street(west). Follow 36th street about 1/2 mile and it will end at Lake Calhoun.

golowpro

I’m pretty sure that my schedule is open on Saturday. I’ve been doing pretty well on Tonka, but a change of scenery would be nice.

audemp
    Wi

Just got back from a good day of fishing with Bob Moore. What an exciting day…started off around 3pm we just got set up on a hump about 10 FOW threw down a couple of jiggin spoons curtosy of Moores Bait and tackle with a minnow head on and wham! one little Northern on the ice. About 15 minutes later as Bob and I were discussing what worked better (a live fathead or just the fatheads head) for walleye, Bob who had a live fathead on a spoon jig got nailed and up he pulls a little 3 lb Northern. Another hour went by and I was talking about moving to some deeper water not 30 seconds went by after I said lets move and whammy!! The big one hit! I asked Bob how did it feel he said like a 15 lb walleye. So after 5 minutes of fightin up comes near the hole the head of a real nice Tiger Muskie. Bob stooped over to look at him again and it took off with about 50 yds or so of line down into the weeds were it stayed for the next 7 minutes. We were starting to get a little worried so Bob started to try to ease the fish off the bottom. The fight was back on and Bob was breathing hard then I saw that tigers’ head again and in a perfect location so instead of risking breaking his 4lb test I stuck my arm down the hole and got em by the gill plate. When I pulled him up we both were suprised how big he turned out to be. We took a couple of quick shots with the camera and back down the hole went the fish fully kickin all the way down. We measured him at 42 inches. What a blast I was glad I was there to help you out Bob!

Pictures are coming soon!!

jhierlinger
    Lauderdale, MN

Where is Moore’s located? If I am coming north on 35w from 494. Would love to join you on Saturday, but have to pass. I am heading out on Thursday evening to see what is moving around.
    Have fun!

tbuaer66

ive been wanting to go since your first report,been waiting for the weather to warm a little ,dont look bad for saturday,how accurate is the lakemaster chip out there?i know its not a high def lake,but does it get you close to the breaks?and i might be by myself if anyone is looking to go,i have everything we need to fish

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

14 degrees??? Yeah, I am a wuss. I might have to stop out just the same. I won’t last long, fishing at least. However it would be nice seeing the boyz of summer for a while.

johnpaul
    Burnsville, MN

I’m up for going. Are you leaning toward fishing the evening? If so I may have to leave early. Would you be up for fishing the morning?

John

david_scott
    Twin Cities

I will be fishing the evening for sure, I am not sure what time I will arrive at the lake as of yet saturday.

How to get to Moores bait from 35W & 494… 35W north to the 58th street exit(left exit). Take a right at the stoplight and it will be about 200′ ahead on the left side. The NE corner of the intersetion of 58th & Lyndale.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So that where Bob was this afternoon. Stopped by the shop and it was closed up. 1st thought was that Dave had him out fishing.
    Sounds like fun Dave. If Im not up nort Ill try to stop by.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

We measured him at 42 inches.

I hate it when he does that he always has to one up me on everthing my biggest Ski is 41″ now he has a bigger Flat, Sturgeon, and Muskie then me…

Why are Bass fishermen so lucky?….

larry_haugh
    MN

I hope that someone got a picture!
    Nice catch guys!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Why are Bass fishermen so lucky?….

Not all of them!

PikeHarms

I’d like to join in on saturdays fun. I fished calhoun alot last year and just haven’t made it out there yet this year. I’ve been spending too much time on nokomis and harriet. Well my wife would say to much and I’d say not enough.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Welcome to IDA PIKE HARMS!!!!!!

How is Nokomis and Harriet treating you?

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Quote:

Welcome to IDA PIKE HARMS!!!!!!

How is Nokomis and Harriet treating you?

I second that! Welcome to IDA!

It would be great to see you on saturday. I will post the location Friday sometime where we will be gathering. I have a specific area in mind, but it could change if I run into something significant this week. I want to be sure that we have the best possible chace to put a few fish on top of the ice.

PikeHarms

Nokomis and Harriet have been real good to me this year. I fished Nokomis for the first time ever and only managed a couple small perch. Next nite went out to Nokomis again and did lots of drilling and got into some nice eyes. Hit up Harriet for the first time this year about a week ago and stayed in the weeds picking off small crappies then moved to the break and picked up three eyes in the eve. Not a bad couple of hours. Nokomis definitely has a better average size for the eyes but Harriet’s are still good fun. Thanks for the Welcome guys.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Im glad to hear you got into the decent walleyes on Nokomis. They are in there, and lots of them… but lots of little guys too and it can be difficult to get out of them at times. That is one lake where a person can catch a 8″ walleye, re-bait the hook and get a 8 lb walleye as soon as the spoon hits the strike zone.

Crazy lake.

audemp
    Wi

I forgot to mention that Bob’s muskie was caught on 4 lb test.

I am in for Saturday I am planning on making a day of it as well. Hopefully the temp will rise a bit as I dont have an ice house. Either way Im.

Marc

larry_haugh
    MN

If I’m not working I will probably bring the boy down and say HI to you guys. Wish I could commit for sure but with work being slow I put myself on standby on the weekends.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

I’ld love to join you again Dave, but I’ll be on LOW. Hokk one for me!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Audemp, I have a pretty big portable and have some room for you. BIG portable, little heater

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

I am in!! I didn’t see the post I don’t come in this forum that often. I stopped my Moore at 4 on Monday as well and nobody was home. I am going to try again today.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

He is there today, I just got back from there.. call me if you want to fish this evening, I could be convinced!

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

I wish I could it is the wifes bowling night and I am watching little Joe.

jhierlinger
    Lauderdale, MN

Anyone fishing Calhoun tomorrow (2/8/07) after work? I am planning on heading out.
    Should I call up to Moores before I go or can I expect someone there tomorrow afternoon around 4:30?

david_scott
    Twin Cities

WT.. Bob Will be at Moores, its VERY RARE that he ever closes early.

I will be fishing Calhoun tomorrow, call me on my cell, I wont be short on bait if Bob gets struck by lightning and has to close early.

612-281-0943

PikeHarms

David where you heading out of, I was thinking of hitting up calhoun today also. I’ll proboly head out there about 3:00pm or so.
    Audemp I have a FT voyager and will be out there on saturday. It should be a little warmer but if you need to warm up or just need a WARM comfy place to fish I have an open seat. I’tll be just me and maybe one of my dogs.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

My evening got tied up. I have a place to be at 5 tonight

I was going to give the south side a shot.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.