Favorite Metro area lake?

• golowpro

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I think Calhoun is the best in town. Tonka has fish, but the city lakes don’t have nearly as much pressure. The fact that Calhoun doesn’t allow gas motors and isn’t Lakemastered also helps.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Welcome to IDA B.P.!!!!!

What is your favorite species?

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

During the warmest summer months is when you get the little dog and/or the 4 yr old Drew out to stroll around the lakes and “interact” with the scenery.

dd

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Welcome to IDA B.P.!

You have a very valid point on the city lakes not being busy… year around. Yes, you can get quite a few shore fishermen here and there, the docks will get pretty crowded on occasion, at the same time most of the shoreline will be void of fishing people. Boat traffic is limited to trolling motor only, and there is an average of 3 or 4 boats on the lake in a given day in a weekend.

No cabin cruisers, no jet skis, no snowmobile and atv traffic to fly by your house at 80 mph in the middle of the night in a convoy. The only real hazard is the sailboaters in which some are not too good about keeping their distance some days. If we stop and look at it that way, the inner city lakes are peaceful in comparison to other lakes around the state.

The only frustrating factor fishing the city lakes with a boat is probably finding a parking spot, you might end up walking a block(big deal).

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I have casually looked at some of the fishing Kayaks solely for fishing these lakes. I don’t know if it would make getting out in the water easier, but I think it would be kind of a nice way to go if you were solo.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

mplspug

A canoe or kayak makes it easy to float around on the city lakes, but some of these lakes are very difficult to fish without electronics if your not fihing the visable weedline.

I hnestly think the most handy watercraft for the city lakes is a simple, light 14′ V hull with a 50# thrust trolling motor. Your top speed will be about 6 mph for covering ground rather quickly(moving from one spot to another), plenty of room for 2 batteries(keep you fishing all day), sea worthy, and somewhat comfortable. Its really tough to mount a trasducer on a kayak . A light boat is also easy to get on a the trailer. All of the boat ramps are plenty deep to launch a big rig. Putting the trailer in a little deeper makes it much easier to winch the boat on.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I can imagine a Kayak might be kind of a pain in the wind and even the ones built for fishing have to be a little cramped. And you can’t bring a buddy. I think I like your idea better.

I guess it was just one of those ideas where it looks like it might be fun and relaxing. But a small boat is more practical.

col._klink
    St Paul

Cant believe no one mentioned White Bear Lake? I love that lake in Spring and Fall! Big Crappies and great ski fishing!

Wintertime I hit a few private lakes that I am lucky enough to fish.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.