Safe Lakes-West Metro

• irishjigs

Hi All,

It’s been a while since I’ve been out…due to an auger blade hitting my index finger and seeing bone/joint for the first time. Anyway, what are the ice conditions like? Was up at Mille Lacs last weekend, but would like to hit some metro lake(s) if possible. Specifically, Riley, Lotus, Waconia area? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks All,

Gregg Maloney

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Waconia just about usually has Crappies in the deep hole in the west side, you have to keep moving to find them, and they usually bite better early am or late afternoon to after sunset. AM SURE it is WALK OUT ice only..
    good luck, report back.
    Jack..

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Be careful. There has been open water on lakes from Buffalo to Waconia. (Don’t know about the lake you specifically mentioned. The rain and up to 10 inches of snow took there toll on our ice out this way. I know there is open water on Buffalo, waverly and a few small lake that I don’t know the name of. I traveled between Montrose and Waconia almost every day last week and watched the Ice go in the tank. (What Ice there was.)

Good luck and be safe.

Elvis
    USA

The only open water on Buffalo I found was near the channel to Mink. Its almost always open.

Fished Buffalo on New Years Day, every hole I drilled was between 7.5 and 8 inches

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Thanks for th update Elvis. Are those small eyes still biting?

Elvis
    USA

Picked up an 8″ Monday morning at about 1030 am, I have never caught a walleye that small It was my first walleye through the ice in 20 years

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

That’s what I’ve heard all year out there. Maybe next year

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

Went out with another friend today on Lake Ann in Chanhassen. Very cautious going and chipping holes every 50 feet. Most spots had 5-8″ (Top 2″ white and honeycombed) except for all of the OPEN WATER which expanded from approx 15% of Lake area on Christmas Day to over 50% OPEN WATER today on the NE 1/2 of the lake, Sat Jan 6. I’ve been watching the Ice/Water area for the past 3-weeks, more open now than ever. Although the 1″+ of rain last weekend and then 7″ of Snow on top has not helped the situation.

Lake Bavaria in Chaska is still 50-60% Open Water

Where is WINTER (our Real Minnesota winter with some -0 temps?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.