Minnetonka Help Please!!

• scottsteil
    Central MN

OK, so I just found out I am fishing Bass on Lake Minnetonka on Friday. I am a walleye fisherman. Can anyone please help me out?? Yes, I may need some GPS coordinates and some really good description of how to fish some spots.

I used to do a fair amount of Bass fishing before I started fishing walleye tournaments, so I think I can catch them if you throw me in the right direction. I really need some help with this one.

I have only fished the lake one other time and all I know is we are going out of Maynards. I don’t know where that is either by the way. Thanks in advance

Please email me or PM me if you can help me out. I REALLY appreciate it.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

I will not give you my gps coordinates but I have a good spot that holds some bigger fish. north arm lake, all the way at the end of the lake, go to the no wake zone and fish the deeper weed edges. start at the point and work your way all the way around the whole thing. where are you launching out of?

shane

scottys
    Eagan, MN

Check your PM

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Scott I’m not a bass fisherman but I always hear people say fish the points. Good luck Bud.
    Thanks, Bill

bassrap

Scott,

I’m fishing the same event. Maynard’s is located in Excelsior Bay. Pretty easy to find, but nowhere real close by to launch. Most guys will launch in Maxwell, but some will use other ramps as well. Since we don’t have to be there until 7:00, it should be no big deal.

I was on the lake for the first time this year on Saturday and wow, is it different from prior years. Over half the weed line spots I usually fish have no weeds on them at all. I did manage to find a couple of spots that were holding fish. There are a lot of guys catching them out on the rocks, but I don’t know many spots like that, so I’m sticking to the weed lines.

I’m in boat slip #45 for the event. Stop by and I’d be happy to give you whatever help I can.

Rick Pelletier

mstanley
    Shorewood,MN

The milfil is missing this year. Very strange. I have been fishing deep weed edges on midlake humps and on points. Doesn’t really matter the bass are everywhere and biting. Hit the Horseshoe reef area. early morning Smiths bay usually has a good topwater bite going along the east shore. Smithown bay has a couple of midlake humps that have been good. Deep weed edge on Phelps expecially the two little humps on the north shore. East upper lake has a big bar that holds bass on the deep edge especially the east side. Excelsior bay around the Maynards docks and the channel to St ALbans also is a good spot early in the day. ALso check out the point coming out from Excelsior commons. Browns bay along the north shore deep weed edge again and some humps in the bay have been good. With the milfoil down or absent I have been using spinnerbaits and cranks with good success but Senkos have also been a good producer.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Thanks for all the help guys, now I just have to try to find those spots..LOL

Rick, I am in slip #47, I will look you up.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

He should be easy to spot Rick, only guy with baitcasters that have line counters on them and spinning reels on all other rods. Oh ya, he also has two motors on the back of his boat. Good luck Scott!!

bassrap

What’s a spinning reel?

Can’t go wrong with 2 motors on the back, especially on Minnetonka. Never know when you’re going to need that extra power to get up to 40 mph.

Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

if you happen to want to get into some slop. I have had the best luck with a dark green and also a sunburst scum frog. I am there every weekend and chasing them bass all over the place.

shane

scottsteil
    Central MN

Well, I will be really hard to spot, they called yesterday and said they don’t need me to fish. Some guys apparently backed out. I really want to thank eveyone from this IDA for all your help. I really felt confident going out there and catching a nice bunch of Bass.

Special thanks to Scott Seaton (ScottyS) for all his help. I was really bummed after I heard they didn’t need me anymore. Thanks again to everyone for their help

capnbass520
    Lake Minnetonka, MN

How much did you weigh in the tourny? Bassrap?

bassrap

I had 3 for around 9.25. I had one about 4.75 and the other 2 were around 2.25. Caught a bunch of fish, but only 1 good bite.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.