Demontreville Bass Opener 2005

• Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Well I made it out on Demontreville around 3:30 this morning. As of last Saturday there weren’t many weeds present but they sure exploded during the week. I stopped about 50 yards short of my first spot intending to creep into position with the trolling motor. As soon as I shut down the outboard the boat stopped due to the thickness of the weeds. Yumpin’ Yiminy! It made it pretty interesting trying to find some fishable water at that time of day. It was blacker than the inside of a cow out there. As it got closer to daylight, I started seeing the dreaded orange signs along the shore. Yup, some genius decided it would be a good idea to poison the lake weeds the DAY BRFORE BASS OPENER What kind of an idiot….oh well, I guess all we can do is deal with it as it is.

This was one of those days where I actually saw more fish than I caught, including some Bass in the 20 inch class. They’re still sitting on beds here and there. And they won’t hit anything. I had one fish “follow” three casts in a row just like a Muskie. It’s fun to watch but not as much fun as getting hooks. I did find a few fish that were willing to hit a Bass Bug thus avoiding the skunk. It sure felt good to stretch out a flyline, and it was great fun watching a Bass come out of the water with one of my Bugs in his mouth.

And hey it was cold out there. When does summer start?

Rootski

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

We had a small tourney out there on Sunday and finally the weather was nice for a change.
    The fishing on this lake was slow for the first 3 hours of the day. We fished deep/shallow and everywhere in between with little result. Looking in the shallows we saw tons of baitfish and yoy. We also saw some 3lbs largemouth guarding their fry. (Pretty sweet ) Around 9 or so the bass really started to show up in the shallows. As the day progress more and more fish showed up and were just cruising the shallow weed edges. We thought that if the sunfish and other baitfish are all in the shallows and when the sunfish are spawning, the bass should be pretty close by. So for the rest of the day we threw basically three baits, but in general two the lures resulted in the most of fish. We threw small cranks when there was a more pronounced drop in the depth and a break in the weeds, and senkos and finesse worms the rest of the time. The key for the day was to cast on the weed break, in about 2.5-4 feet of water, and slowly bring in the bait. The fish would just come out of the weeds or hit it as the cruise the break line looking for sunfish. Once we figured out this pattern we worked a stretch of shoreline that kept giving us quality fish and allowed us to cull multiple times. We also had a couple of nice bass come unbutton that would of help us but that fishing.
    The end results for five fish: 1st place -21.07 lbs, 2nd place -17.54 lbs (me), 3rd -16.43 lbs.

It was a great day out there weather wise and hope to get out there soon again; the lake has some really nice fish.

baw

umm…. Demontriville is a catch and release only lake for bass. All bass must be immediately returned to the water. You shouldnt have been culling fish or keeping 5 of them long enough to weigh them.

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

We had a paper touney. All these weights were based on length. What we do is measure them, mark them on a paper and release them back.

baw

ahh. gotcha.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

hi alphid,
    sounds like a pretty good day of fishing.
    do you spend most of your time on Demont, or is Olson very good to spend some time on also. Have never been up there fishing but I hope soon. need to get my camera some more action. thanks Jack…

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Jack,

Frequently one side or the other will be “on” but usually not both. The absolute best day I ever had out there was last September throwing crankabits. Four fish over 20 inches, a bunch of 18-20 inchers, all on Demontreville. I never got a thing on the Olson side. Then the next weekend it was all happening on Olson. I have no idea why that happens. Fortunately both bodies of water are small enough so you can cover them both in a day. Let’s figure out an evening when we can get out there and I’ll show you the sights

Rootski

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Thanks Steve for the offer. will call this weekend.
    Jack..

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

That was only the second time that I was out there, I prefished earlier in the week. With the way the fishing was on both occassions I am going to have to plan to get out there again. There both great lakes to fish and like Rootski mentioned, you can fish both in a day. One of the greatest things about the lake, besides the fishing, is that there is a no wake law until noon= no jet skiers!!

nubbinbuck

Beautiful morning to be on the lake. I’ll let Rootski give ya the details….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.