Prior, Spring, Cedar, Fish, Cynthia????

• Wallace
    St. Paul, MN

Haven’t heard much talk about the lakes in this area other than Prior. I’m headed out tomorrow in search of some crappies. Wondering if anyone’s had any luck on any of these lakes. I’ve been out to Prior numerous times this year and caught plenty of nice sunnies, but the crappie bite has been nonexistent. I haven’t been able to find them. I know Spring and Fish have been pretty good to me in the summers in the past, but haven’t fished them in the winter for a couple years. Any word?

kartaks
    South Central Minnesota

Crappies are pretty small on cedar, but you will catch them on the north end off the point.

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Friends of mine have been getting good slabs out of Spring. They said around 12 inchers. I know last week they were doing pretty good but last night they only caught 8 of em. Give it a try, these guys don’t know the lake real well and still caught a few and they said the size was great.

Lardy
    SDSU via Savage, MN

We also went to spring a week ago…bite was really slow but any fish that you do catch will be pretty nice

pfluggy
    ROSEMOUNT, MN

i cut my teeth around this area ,spring was always my best pan fish lake for sizeof fish any ways.
    good luck!

CPRDave
    Lakeville, MN

My son and I spent about 3 hours on Fish on Saturday, with nothing to show. Fished many depths in the water column, mostly on the mid-lake hump/reef. Only a few bites. Didn’t see much on the camera either.

Wallace
    St. Paul, MN

Well, here’s the reportfor Spring 2/17:

Fished from about 4:30 to 8:30 with most of the success coming between 4:30 and 6. Marked a bunch of crappies suspened at 8 feet in 17 feet of water. Parked on them and they were biting. Watched them steadily move deeper with the camera. By 4:45 they were in 10 feet by 5:00 they were in 12 feet and by 6 they were hugging the bottom. Not sure if that is what crappies generally do as night approaches in the winter months, but I found it interesting. Left with 10 total keepers between the two of us and 3 fish stood at 11.5 inches and the rest we kept were respectable. Sorry no pics, still working on getting the digital camera. I’d probably drop the damn thing in the hole anyway.

Planning to head out again Sat. morning to check the morning bite. Good luck and thanks for the recommendations.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Thanks for the report Wallace.

What were you using? Waxies? Minnows?

Wallace
    St. Paul, MN

We started using both, but they seemed to prefer the minnows. I had a small tear drop yellow and orange jig on one line and a small trout hook on the other and they seemed to like them both. They didn’t seem too finicky, they were hitting pretty hard.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Thanks for the info!!!

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Anyone been out to Spring lately. Thinking of heading there either tonight or tomorrow after work. If I go, I will post a report.
    Thanks

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.