Prior Lake

• gary_wellman
    South Metro

Went to Prior yesterday for a few hours to see what was going on. Went to my favorite walleye point, just out from the Sandy Beach on the north side. Talked to a few guys out there that never marked a fish. Worked it a couple of hours, marked one fish……Then moved on.

Worked my way over to the “big city” of houses. Talked to a couple of guys working SW of the little island out there. They had the same results as I did………no fish.

Went over to the city, drilled a couple of holes and caught a bunch of decent sunnies on waxies. They were really light biters. Couldn’t jig them or they would spit it out, couldn’t run a bobber, or they would spit it out……..So, got down by the hole in the shack and watched them through the ice. As soon as they would suck in the waxie, I would set the hook. If you didn’t, they would spit it out as soon as they sucked it in.

The day seemed to be really slow for alot of folks. Seen a bunch of tip ups for pike, but never saw a flag.

The ice is about 12″, and people were driving all over the lake in their trucks.

teagan
    rosemount

I went to prior yesterday with the same results, I ended up fishing in the middle of the city, we caught some nice sunnies and saw about a dozen walleye on the aqua view but couldn’t get them to bite, I also saw a huge walleye on the aqua view right as the sun was going down.

frostbite
    South Metro

Teagan- I have been out on Prior w/o a camera. Based on where and what you saw would you say it’s worth is to throw down a minnow near the bottom in the 20-25’depths? Crappies have been suspended. With all the sunfish on the bottom, I haven’t been sure about the eyes.
    thanks

teagan
    rosemount

I tried a swedish pimple with a minnow head, a couple walleyes went up to it and nudged it a little and swam off.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I suggest trying a simple hook and spit shot if the eyes are a little negative, might buy you a bite or two?? Good luck!!!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

The other option is to have your two holes. One with what Kooty said…………The other, run an really aggressive jigging spoon. Sometimes, a negative walleye will strike the most aggressive bait on a “run-in”, before it sniffs the bait and turns cold. Many times, negative or neutral fish will come in to aggressive jigging, only to turn cold……….That is where your “dead stick” may come into play………

I know……it sounds backwards……….but it is just experience I’ve seen with the camera………

nubbinbuck

What is the secret to ice fishing Prior with any success?

I’ve been tip-up fishng it for about 5 years, and without a doubt, it has been the toughest lake to figure out in the Metro Area for me..

Not asking for hotspots, but rules of thumb. I’ve fished basically the entire lower lake (north end), varied depth, etc. and have had very poor success.

What keeps me coming back? All the stories I’ve heard over the years of trophy fish. I guess they are trophies for a reason!

All input appreciated.

frostbite
    South Metro

Well nubbin, my father in law has a 20lb northern on his wall. He got it 10 years ago.

Kooty, the plain hook and split worked
    it was only a 11″ one but IT WAS A WALLEYE.
    To much noise, we were out sat eve. the noise was non stop.
    Cars doing 60 35 ft. from the house. I don’t get it, no chance of stopping out there if you had to. snowmobiles atv’s kids screaming and pounding on the ice,
    BLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECCCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHH. Did manage a few crappies and sunnies after we moved.
    Still great to get out.
    Sunnies and crappies have been reluctant biters last few days. Looking at the forecast, wed is lookin good.
    good luck all.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

BTW, I love the signature, perfect for guys like BrianK. He’s a big golf fan. Ask him to go golfing just about anytime!

I know Prior is a finicky lake. The amount of pleasure traffic is unreal down there, both winter and summer. Those fish still have to eat though!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.