December Muskies?

• BigDaddyEE

Thanks to the relatively mild weather, I was able to make it out today with a couple of buddies for one last hurrah here in the metro area. After nearly six hours on the water, including a pit stop to put the drain plug back in the boat (oops), I was able to stick my biggest fish to date….49.5 x 23.5. The fish came trolling a depthraider over a hump in 23 ft of water, surrounded by 30+ ft of water. We’d been over the spot a half dozen times during the day, but we finally go one to go just after sundown on our last trolling pass of the season.

As the lure passed over the spot, the reel started screaming like a stuck pig and the battle was on. After a decent fight, we got her in the net, and the chill of a long, cold day on the water was gone in an instant.

Getting to fish in December was nice enough…but catching the biggest fish of my life was an absolute blast.

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/showphoto…php?photo=43023

Big Daddy EE

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Congrats!!! I can’t get the link to work.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Congrats on getting out and a big high-5 for the tuna!!!!

Get that link working so we can see the pig!!!!!!!!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

DANG!!!! That fish is HUGE!!!!

Try this link.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Metro Piggie!!! Nice fish, I was finding that same type of pattern towards the end too. Personally, I think they are out cruising and slashing the schools of crappies and perch that are staging over and in the deep water. Nice finish, way to go on the personal best, now you’ve got your work cut out for you next year.

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Nice Fish!
    Like Dan said, Now you have a goal for next year – catching a bigger fish than this.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Great Fish Big Daddy!

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Nice fish. Now only if that lake would freeze over.

BigDaddyEE

Not sure if the link is working yet, so here’s a picture of the fish.

Mike – give me one more weekend to chase muskies and then she’s all yours. Given the cold snap we’re having right now, I’m guessing my luck may have run out.

kooty
    Keymaster

Check the weather E. It’s suppose to be in the 40’s the later part of the week. You might get one more run at them.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

What a mule! WOW!
    How fast were you trolling for that pig this time of year?
    Congrats! Job well done!

kooty
    Keymaster

Quote:

Check the weather E. It’s suppose to be in the 40’s the later part of the week. You might get one more run at them.

I sit corrected. There is ice everywhere and the weatherman was obviously in the bottle again. Tonka has about 65% ice cover as of last night. Sure would be good skating ice right now.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Start jiggin 12″ sucker minnows!!!!!!!!!

BigDaddyEE

Steve,

We were trolling anywhere from 2-2.5 mph making big, sweeping turns to keep the baits changing speed. This fish came as soon as we came out of a hard right turn and came up on the hump I mentioned above.

It was a great way to end the season, but at the same time it will seem like eternity before I get to chase these toothy critters on the open water again.

Come on June!!!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.