Prior Lunch Break Report 3.23.12

• crappykilla86
    Prior Lake, MN

Hey guys. Got out during lunch break quick and made a check on crappies in a couple little nooks around the lake. I’m not sure why, but no crappies yet- not a one, but the gills were THICK and only in 3fow… I’m pretty new to this, but as far as I’ve always understood, crappies first then bass then gills. All three bays I checked were LOADED with bass and gills….no crappies Oh well- still the best way to spend lunch!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Crappies and gills don’t always use the same area.

You’ve been kicking butt!

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Nice! What was the water temps? I might need to take the boat out there this weekend with my daughter.

crappykilla86
    Prior Lake, MN

Brian- I understand that, but I’ve been fishing Prior for going on 5 years now, and I’ve never seen this many gills this shallow so early. The surface was literally churning with activity between them and the bass- funny how I didn’t catch one of those…. It doesn’t get any deeper than 3′ either…oh well, Patience! Another week and they’ll be going strong!

I can’t be sure of exact water temps, just pulled off on the side of the road with my car quick…It was low 40’s last week so i would say….between 48-55degrees If you’re taking the kid out, shoot me a pm if you want- Otherwise anywhere on the lake with weeds 4-10fow you’ll nail em’. Any bright jig,toad in this case, with 1″ gulp alive minnow is my personal preference for the first month of open water pannies. They cannot resist! Good luck if you get out

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Except for the 2nd pic, those are pumpkinseeds, not bluegills.

crappykilla86
    Prior Lake, MN

Actually Hybrids aren’t they?….

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

The gill flaps say pumpkinseed, but they could be hybrids. Hybrids are tough to ID.

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Got out today from 1030-1 with my 4 year old daughter. We struggled a bit to find fish but ended up finding a bunch in candy cove. We got a mess of sunfish and one bass on a little pink ice jig and wax worms. (my daughter choice of jig color on her new pink rod) nothing too special about the presentation here.

water temps were 53 degrees in some spots. when we found the fish there was a ton of them together. lots of suckers and 8 in bass in the shallows too.

it was a great day out for our first trip, my daughter had a blast and she caught fish. what more can you ask for?

updated with picture

chirp
    Rochester

Dan, doesn’t get any better than that.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Great picture Dan! Thanks for the report.

kroc0005

Solid post! Good to hear there were some fish to be found!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.