Wisconsin opener

• rjohnson8404

Just out of curiosity how many make the trip over to Wisconsin for their opener?
    We have been kicking around the idea of heading to the Chippewa flowage for the day. Have never fished it but seems to be a great spot for chasing walleyes and smallies. Any advice on launches would be appreciated.

That being said what are some of the traditions you guys/gals have for Wisconsin opener?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I fish the st croix on wi opener

Wildlifeguy

I’ll be camping on the shore of Cranberry Lake, it’ll be my 4th year of openers at the Flowage. The group I go with has been doing it since the 70’s. Weather looks fantastic this year. Good luck if you go.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I’m with bearcat. I fish the river on opener as well as most weekends in May.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I live in WI. No need to “make the trip over”. I just walk down to the dock.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My cabin is in sconny so I’ll be there but probably not fishing a lot since I’m planning on dumping the pontoon sat. Also I may fish for suckers. I’m there now and they just started running in the Namekagon. I caught 6 and one trash fish (walleye) this morning. grin

jeff becker

Live in Wisconsin. Don’t go out for the opener. Too many idiots on the lake. Wait for following Monday to fish

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

Jeff Becker also live in Wi, definitely amateur weekend. I stay away from the lakes too. Retired now I can fish during the week.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

In NW Wisconsin where there are hundreds of small to med sized lakes I dont see a mad rush of people on opener. My lake for example is no problem whatsoever. Hardly anybody fishing. Its only the large premier lakes that see that kind of traffic and most of them are in Minnesota. Sure there are a few up there that get idiotic levels of traffic. In every case its a known walleye lake. Everyone wants walleyes on opener…. coffee

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Growing up in WI, we always used the opener as a weekend to go focus on panfish. Depending on location and weather for the year, we generally had great crappie fishing on lakes in areas without crowds. I agree with Suzuki that the makeup of many lakes in WI is vastly different than MN. There are not the huge walleye magnet lakes. The areas near the UP of Michigan are great too with tons of lakes that rarely see anglers outside of a handful of locals.

yooper2
    SW Wisconsin

I have fished the Chip Flowage for opener the last 10 years. Typically, there are quite a few boats out but there is plenty enough water that people are spread out. The only time it gets to be crazy is when there is a late ice out and everyone is congregated in the river channel…I do not foresee that as an issue this year.

bigpike

Growing up in WI, we always used the opener as a weekend to go focus on panfish. Depending on location and weather for the year, we generally had great crappie fishing on lakes in areas without crowds. I agree with Suzuki that the makeup of many lakes in WI is vastly different than MN. There are not the huge <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye magnet lakes. The areas near the UP of Michigan are great too with tons of lakes that rarely see anglers outside of a handful of locals.

This weekend is shaping up nicely. The warm weather will bring in the panfish especially in the afternoon and the morning we will focus on walleye.

The opener is more of a family get together for this guy, weather permitting a passage of winter to spring with campfires both Friday and Saturday with much grilled food and beverage. There will be fish caught but its more of an event with serious fishing to be had after the riffraff goes home toast

Beast

Live in Wisconsin. Don’t go out for the opener. Too many idiots on the lake. Wait for following Monday to fish

Jeff Becker also live in Wi, definitely amateur weekend. I stay away from the lakes too. Retired now I can fish during the week.

This ^^^^^^^^^^

rjohnson8404

I fish the st croix on wi opener

The croix has always been on my radar but just have never been on it. Any advice for launches that seem to be the best?

buck-slayer

Hudson’s good but get there early.

watisituya
    North Metro

Fished the Croix on opener for years, my father just bought a cabin on round lake in Hayward so I will be venturing out there… Wish us luck!!!

David G

I live in Vilas County. I too stay off the water for the opener, and summer holiday weekends. I’ve seen too many things over the years.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Living in Wisconsin but have a lifetime MN license. It’s good to have options!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I live in Vilas County. I too stay off the water for the opener, and summer holiday weekends. I’ve seen too many things over the years.

Attachments:
    1. unnamed.jpg

Dan Buchmann

watisitoya, Let me know what you have for water temps up there. I’ll be fishing around Spooner but always head up to Round several times in the spring once water hits 50-55 degrees.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Dan:

You’d probably should be considering Round then as most of our lake temps over here are in the upper 40’s to low 50’s and Sunday we had 50 and never saw 51 on a 150 acre lake. And typically that area warms faster than ours does, so I’d be considering it as an option…

Mark

Dan Buchmann

I was on Shell Lake and had 47 degrees Saturday morning, Sunday morning was 49. Smallies haven’t quite turned on yet. I caught some but not the non stop action as soon as it gets a little warmer like I’ve had in the past.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I fished close to Shell Lake Sat morning. Three of us boated about a dozen walleye with 2 being keepers. I forget the water temp. Also fished suckers twice and finally caught two beasts. I dont know if they were River or Greater Redhorse but one was simply tremendous. I kick myself for not having a camera or at least measuring it.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.