Wireless Tip-Up Alert

• Sharon
    SE Metro

I saw these at Fleet Farm yesterday… not sure how I feel about them. But at $40 I can say I would pass. You’d miss out on the fun of seeing your flag up!

Attachments:
    1. 20180107_100122.jpg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

That would buy alot of daiquiris! toast mrgreen

munchy
    NULL

Bluetipz have been around for 4or5 years. Have heard mixed reviews about them with most unfavorable saying the range isn’t as good as claimed and battery life is horrible.

I don’t tipup fish enough to make the investment. I just added a small cowbell from the craft store to the flag that helps make a little noise.

Sharon
    SE Metro

That would buy alot of daiquiris! toast mrgreen

A quick alert in my mind… who knew I had a daiquiri recently? Then I realized it was you! LOL! rotflol

Call me old fashioned, but the cowbell and beer can seem like way better ideas than this gadget.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Blue tipz work pretty good for me. When I bother with using them.

Jeff Telander

Ditto Dustin. I have one and don’t use it often. You have to have the app running on your phone and the alert is delayed a little. They are handy if you’re in a shack and don’t have a clear line of sight to your tip up. The battery lasts quite a while. It also has a light for night fishing. Haven’t really tested the range on it.

bpholl
    North Metro, MN

I like them a lot! They are spendy, but I bought it in a set with the receiver/range extender and use that to alert me instead of my phone. The receiver beeps within a second of the flag going up and I can dart for my tip up as soon as the fish bites.

Thier customer service is great too. I had a battery issue in on of the units and he had it replaced and in my hands within a week free of charge no questions asked.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

We like to add and empty beer can to the flag. When it trips, it’ll toss the can and makes some noise.

Who chases the can when it’s windy?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I also just use the receiver/ booster. Then you pick up the can or just leave it?

Iowaboy1

iowaboy version:
    put a stronger spring on tip up,wire an old flash bulb with a hole drilled in it to accept a really short fuse on an M-80.
    when a fish hits,a contact completes the circuit between the battery and flash bulb lighting the fuse.
    the heavy spring on the flag launches the M-80 into the air about fifteen feet above your head and goes BOOM !!!

should wake you from a drunken stupor enough to go catch fish then clean your shorts out
    hopefully you set the flag right so it doesn’t launch the M-80 into your hut or the windshield of your truck causing a most unpleasant ice fishing experience.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

fs, is this what you happens just after you say to your pertner, “Here hold my JD & Pespi and watch this!” toast

Hope you are feeling better my friend!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I just bought a Blue Tip this year after using them with a buddy a lot last year on Mille Lacs. I’m a big fan of them other than the price. Never had a problem with them and being able to know right when your flag goes up without having to look up from jigging ever few minutes is a plus for me.

Necessary, no. Nice to have, yes.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

My thought is that if you are tip up fishing right then you are out checking, jigging, moving tip ups every 5 to 10 minutes anyways. At night we just got lights that turn on when the flags go up.

404 ERROR
    MN

I don’t own them, but when my old and dated HT arctic siren tip-ups finally die, I may make the switch to one or two of these. I know a few people who swear by them.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I personally think they keep a lot of fish from getting gut hooked. If you’re in your shack there’s no way of knowing if your flag went up. Unless you look out every few minutes but even that isn’t frequent enough if you’re fishing walleye.

I can say I’ve caught more fish and successfully let go many more fish because I was notified of the bite instantly. The Blue Tipz work ok but IMO the Strike Sensor brand works much better and you get a beep at the very second a fish strikes. It allows the angler to get to the tip up in plenty of time before the fish either drops the bait or swallows it.

As far as the cost I think they’re worth every penny. I’ve had mine for over 10yrs. I actually leave tip ups out while I sleep and the beeper wakes me up for that 3:00am bite. For such a great product I think they are missing the boat. Most anglers have never heard of them.

http://www.strikesensor.com

Attachments:
    1. Strike-Sensor.png

Bigwalleye30
    MN

I have a set of them and they work well, especially if you are in a portable. The range is more than I expected without the extender. (I don’t have an extender) In a wheel house the range isn’t as far, but still does the job. Only thing that is somewhat annoying is the alarm will keep going until you shut it off. So if its on your buddy’s phone and its his tip up, you have to hear it until he gets back in the house and shuts it off on his phone. Other thing is you lose a little of that excitement of looking out and see the flag up, but like Joe said above, it really reduces gut hooked fish as you know you have a bite very quickly. Would I purchase them again? Yes.

wall3y3

I have 4 Bluetipz and a receiver. Great investment – it pays off on those super cold nights. On those nights where you have tipups a ways away from you, the flashing indicator light on the top is helpful to figure out which flag is flying while dark.

Here’s their site: deepfreezefishing.com

Sharon
    SE Metro

I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by these responses! This honestly sounded like a gimmick when I saw it on the shelf. Glad to hear that many of you like using it or something similar.

watisituya
    North Metro

I picked one up to try out a month or so ago and i can say i am happy i made the purchase.

My next buy will be Spinning lights from lighthouse enterprises. Used these in WI a while ago and they were pretty sweet. Could tell from far away if it was a false trip or not.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.