Winter Ice Camping

• jld
    Holmen

I know this has probably been discussed but a couple of questions. Looking to purchase an Otter Lodge pop up will I be able to fit two cots in it for sleeping? How are you guys safely heating? Intermittent use of the propane heaters when cold and awake? Is there some sort of efficient electric heater I can run off my generator? Other tips/info please add. I found what I think will be a good flooring system using a hard plastic interlocking tiles. I see the rubber/foam ones which are cheaper but I have concerns about the moisture. Thanks

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I see the rubber/foam ones which are cheaper but I have concerns about the moisture.

I use the foam mats on the floor of my hunting boat. The mats I use are a closed cell foam and will not soak up or hold moisture.
    As far as the heat issue, Don’t. Don’t use any heat while sleeping. Use a good insulating pad under you and a GOOD sleeping bag.

jld
    Holmen

I have both and would never run a propane heater while sleeping. I figure I may have just wake up every few hours, run the heater while awake to take the edge off if it is a really cold night.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I have both and would never run a propane heater while sleeping. I figure I may have just wake up every few hours, run the heater while awake to take the edge off if it is a really cold night.

This is what I would recommend.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

That’s exactly what I do. But my otter pro shack holds warmth great. And I couldn’t say the most important thing is a good sleeping bag. Not a cheap one or you will freeze. We camp on the ice in portables all the time. I’m doing it on red this upcoming weekend. I dont use any thing one the floor. I use the sled as my dry area.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

We use the snap together floor mats that you get for kids. They’re cheap and work great. As mentioned before the insulated Otters hold heat real well. I get it real warm right before I tuck in and use a North Face Aleutian sleeping bag and have never had an issue. Just remember never leave any propane heater running while you’re sleeping

Angler II

Running a buddy heater wouldn’t be a problem. If you’re worried. Buy a cheap carbon monoxide alarm and crack a window.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Running a buddy heater wouldn’t be a problem. If you’re worried. Buy a cheap carbon monoxide alarm and crack a window.

Wrong. Buy a cheap carbon monoxide detector? So you are relying on two cheaply made Chinese products to protect your life? No thanks. Good precautionary steps? Yes. Foolproof to the point of not having to worry? No

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Dying from carbon monoxide is real. And that’s how that happens. We all hear about it every year on the news

bigpike

Sure it’s ok to belittle the yellow man and the products he makes. What a world we live in, kinda surprised at you crappie (tongue firmly planted in cheek)

I wouldn’t run any propane heat while sleeping no matter where the product was made

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Winter camping for me is leaving the window open at the Holiday Inn. whistling

Angler II

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Angler II wrote:</div>

Wrong. Buy a cheap carbon monoxide detector? So you are relying on two cheaply made Chinese products to protect your life? No thanks. Good precautionary steps? Yes. Foolproof to the point of not having to worry? No

The same carbon monoxide detectors that are used in thousands of campers throughout the nation. Have you ever slept in a camper in the winter. This is no different. Buddy heaters also shut down when oxygen levels fall below 16%. That’s two fail safes without the cracked window. But I’m wrong…

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Campers don’t use ventless heaters.

bigpike

In the end you do what you want, strong and independent man. Just feeding information and obviously opinions
    ….

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crappie55369 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Angler II wrote:</div>

The same carbon monoxide detectors that are used in thousands of campers throughout the nation. Have you ever slept in a camper in the winter. This is no different. Buddy heaters also shut down when oxygen levels fall below 16%. That’s two fail safes without the cracked window. But I’m wrong…

According to one web site a minimum of 19% oxygen is required for the human body to function at capacity.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

If you want to use your generator a milkhouse heater is all you need. An inexpensive tough 1500 watt heater and safe. Can’t beat the price for 20 bucks.

bassin140

I have wanted to do the same thing and have done a lot of research on this particular thing (camping on ice in hub style shack). From what I have found stay away from propane heater. However there is an alternative to have some heat. A small wood burning stove and install a jack in roof of hub style shack and vent out the top. The more digging in I did the more I found how many people do this and camp in the winter in hot tents. I have done a lot of reading on reviews and problems with different small wood burners and the best I have found is the sportsman warehouse wood burner version to have a big enough smoke stack to vent everything without filling shack with smoke. There is even a guy who sleeps in a hub style shack in Canada for 8 weeks using a wood burning stove. Check out 8 week winter camping on YouTube he documented it all and even shows how to install a stove jack. Hope this helps good luck on your adventure I would like to do the same exact thing.

Travis

If you bring a camp stove or have a lil pot that you cook on your buddy heater with, boil water before you go to bed. Pour it into a Nalgene water bottle (they won’t melt) and throw that in your sleeping bag. Old winter camping trick, your drinking water won’t freeze and it’ll help keep your feet warm for a few hours. With that said…..

Everyone has an opinion, just like everyone has done some bonehead things we probably shouldn’t have done or continue to do. It’s one thing to provide useful advice and it’s a just a little different way to the same goal. For instance in this forum, from different insulation measures for the ice to different sleeping bags.
    But in the end, when we leave home to fish and camp we also intend on returning home, so to provide so called “advice” that it’s just fine to sleep in a confined space with a buddy heater running is irresponsible and yes you are wrong (my opinion). If that’s how you do it, great, but that’s how many have perished wether it was in a fish house or not. So instead, let’s not advocate for something that is questionably unsafe! And provide the safest way to accomplish the goals.
    Stay warm good luck!

jld
    Holmen

I thought about the wood burner but wonder if I would then need to cut a hole in the hub and then sew some flame retardant material around the hole to prevent burning or melt. Not sure I want to alter the shack but I like the idea. Need to do more research on this.

Lots of good things to think about. Excited to try it. May have to try it in the backyard first to work out the bugs. jester

milemark_714

I would do the electric heater/generator myself.Propane will cause condensation,electric heater will be much more drier.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Theres a fellar over on the “Alone” thread that can teach you to make heat from the ice. You will be so cozy you won’t even need a sleeping bag.

SW Eyes

I’ve slept on a cot in a hub a few times, and it’s never a great nights sleep.

There’s always that chance that you’ll fall alseep in the hub, and wake up under the stars (mostly joking).

It is very risky running propane, of course. Only do it while awake. Curling hi in a great sleeping bag with some hand warmers or something else works. Zippo makes a USB rechargeable heater/handwarmer. Personally, I made a battery bank in a waterproof container that has USB and cigarette lighter adapters that you can run anything on (search amazon). I’m sure a set of the battery operated heated socks would even keep your sleeping bag nice and warm for a good 5-6 hours if it gets real cold.

SW Eyes

I thought about the wood burner but wonder if I would then need to cut a hole in the hub and then sew some flame retardant material around the hole to prevent burning or melt. Not sure I want to alter the shack but I like the idea. Need to do more research on this.

Lots of good things to think about. Excited to try it. May have to try it in the backyard first to work out the bugs. jester

You could probably make that work rather easily. It also sounds like a blast.

I have a tent that has a place to run a stack through. I’m sure you could copy that design. You may even be able to find a junked outfitter tent somewhere on the internet for cheap and cut it off.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I use the foam mats on the floor of my hunting boat. The mats I use are a closed cell foam and will not soak up or hold moisture.
    As far as the heat issue, Don’t. Don’t use any heat while sleeping. Use a good insulating pad under you and a GOOD sleeping bag.

This ^^

Once upon a time I tried winter camping outdoors north of Grand Rapids, a couple nights. Wasn’t a lot of fun, but I wasn’t ice fishing either. Cold nights, around 0 degrees.

Point being, no heater required that could kill you. A good quality “winter sleeping bag” with the foam pad underneath…never got cold at all. Just was a hard lumpy ground to sleep on.

Like Dave says, and I’ve done the same thing…no heater needed with the right sleeping bag and they don’t cost a fortune either.

I could sell you mine?

Attachments:
    1. winter-sleeping-bag.jpg

B-man

Might as well sleep in the truck or get a motel room.

If you don’t use a heater, your holes will freeze over….Why even bother sleeping on the ice if you’re not fishing?

I’d say crack a window and buy a handheld carbon monoxide detector and handheld O2 sensor (less than $100 each)

They will give you actual readouts, not just an all-or-nothing alarm (like a home CO detector).

You could sleep rest assured (pun intended) and have lines down for the night bite.

https://www.amazon.com/GXG-1987-Handheld-Monoxide-Precision-0-1000ppm/dp/B073YQTQMM/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1543207317&sr=8-2-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=handheld+co+meter&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Detector-Analyzer-Handheld-Temperature-Thermometer/dp/B07JK2N65P/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1543207355&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=handheld+O2+meter&dpPl=1&dpID=41bAa7scb6L&ref=plSrch

B-man

A thought regarding electric heat.

A milkhouse heater pulls 1,500 watts, which will have a generator running hard (noise and limited time from fuel consumption).

But…..if you have a smaller thermal portable, I think you could run the heater on low (750 watts) to take the chill off a little, and your generator wouldn’t run as hard or use as much fuel.

TMF89

I researched this last season, and while I don’t have links, I found a couple websites that gave both the average amount of CO given off by a Buddy Heater (they had a few different models) as well as the amount it takes to become harmful to people. I don’t remember the exact numbers, but I want to say that if you leave a Big Buddy on Low or Medium, you have like 10-12 hours before you should even have to worry about accumulation. Now I have spent a few nights out on the ice with a heater running, but I highly doubt we went more than 4-5 hours without getting fresh air in, due to sleep times/bathroom breaks. I do have a CO detector. We find that airing the shack out before going to sleep as well as anytime one of us wakes up hasn’t posed a problem so far. Now if I were planning on doing more than napping and periodically waking up throughout the night, I would be a little more leery. I’d definitely trade the heater for a quality sleeping bag, but the problem is I don’t want to spend a bunch since I’m sure it’ll get dirty/wet/trashed pretty quickly.

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

This is my plan… -30 sleeping bag and an insulated truck cab/bed toast

This is my set up!

View this post on Instagram

Let the cold weather test begin! @fish.with.nick @nicolestoneoutdoors @troylindner @the_traveling_sportsman @joelnelsonoutdoors @kozy_cabin_furniture @bonniemcfarlane9762 @jonbrollin @jonfiorito @johnhoyerfish @tucr_john @shelovestofish @jasonmitchelloutdoors @ifishedwithjason @kevinbobholz @icejunkiesoutdoors @mrheater @bobcrappies @fishaddictions @uncutangling #winter #camping #fish #film #icefishing #hotel #staymobile #boondocking #truckcamping #dwsoutdoors #youtube #youtubechannel

A post shared by Dave w Scheidegger (@dwsdave31) on

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

View this post on Instagram

Let the cold weather test begin! @fish.with.nick @nicolestoneoutdoors @troylindner @the_traveling_sportsman @joelnelsonoutdoors @kozy_cabin_furniture @bonniemcfarlane9762 @jonbrollin @jonfiorito @johnhoyerfish @tucr_john @shelovestofish @jasonmitchelloutdoors @ifishedwithjason @kevinbobholz @icejunkiesoutdoors @mrheater @bobcrappies @fishaddictions @uncutangling #winter #camping #fish #film #icefishing #hotel #staymobile #boondocking #truckcamping #dwsoutdoors #youtube #youtubechannel

A post shared by Dave w Scheidegger (@dwsdave31) on

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

If one went the primitive winter camping route…

I haven’t winter camped in a while but I ended up getting a bivy sack which seemed to work very well. It might also add a few degrees to the bag temp rating. I would typically run two ground pads. A closed cell foam pad on the bottom (like a ridge rest) with a thermarest over the top. That allowed a little wiggle room in the inflation of the thermarest for comfort while still allowing the insulation provided by the closed cell foam pad. I would throw the whole kit (pads and bag) inside the bivy. The bivy adds protection to the bag from snow, ice, dirt, etc. I would think that setup would work well on a cot. I believe the bag I have is rated to -25 deg. Spent a couple nights right on the rivets at -20 to -25 deg. Survived it but it wasn’t comfortable. Sometimes the cure to waking up chilled is to take a healthy swig of water. It can be easy to get a little dehydrated in winter conditions.

One word of advice for winter camping is to NOT bury your head inside the sleeping bag. When you sleep in cold conditions your nose will feel it, however, you will exhale water vapor. Big mistake to get that condensation inside your bag. I have a simple neoprene face masks that will cover your nose which seems to add comfort to your exposed face.

You call always go with the hot water bottle trick. Heat up some water via jet boil or camp stove. Make sure you don’t have a leaky bottle and keep it with you inside the bag. When it gets cool you’ll want to jettison the bottle or heat it back up if needed.

Down side of course is more specialized gear unless you’re game about committing to the winter camp out. It’s not for everyone.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Huntindave wrote:</div>

This ^^

Once upon a time I tried winter camping outdoors north of Grand Rapids, a couple nights. Wasn’t a lot of fun, but I wasn’t ice fishing either. Cold nights, around 0 degrees.

Point being, no heater required that could kill you. A good quality “winter sleeping bag” with the foam pad underneath…never got cold at all. Just was a hard lumpy ground to sleep on.

Like Dave says, and I’ve done the same thing…no heater needed with the right sleeping bag and they don’t cost a fortune either.

I could sell you mine?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.