Will Coronavirus Prevent You From Travelling?

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>phishingruven01 wrote:</div>
    what did they call coronavirus in the 60’s? Cause this one is a new one. called covid-19
    also, the flu has been common since as long as I can remember with lots of data
    I had never heard of coronavirus until late last year with zero data of effects on the public

In the 60s it was called coronavirus.
    Coronaviruses are a group of viruses that cause disease in mammals and birds. Just like “the flu” is a catch all for various strains of flu, and why the flu vaccine only vaccinates against select strains that they predict will be most prevalent in a specific year.

Significant specific strains of coronavirus get a fancier name. COVID-19 is this one and stands for COronaVirusDecember-2019. Other ones you might have heard of are SARS-CoV (“sars”)or MERS-CoV.

There have been a few voices calling for a coronavirus vaccine for years, but obviosly it wasnt deemed profitable. There is also is also fear during major bird or swine flu outbreaks because certain versions could possibly transmit to humans.

Just because “you’ve never heard” of something doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

While true I hardly seem the purpose of making this point. Unless coronavirus has been killing people since the 60s it’s not relevant to what’s being discussed now.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

His original statement was that it hasn’t been around long and we dont have useful data sets. That is incorrect.

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

from what I have read and understand covid 19 is quite different from sars and swine. We have no idea how this new corona will spread and infect people. Unlike the flu. We have also yet to see a mutation of covid 19, which may not happen. There are not equal sets of data to compare at this time.

blackbay
    mn

So again, my question is, why are the general public wearing them?

It’s very common for people throughout Asia to wear face masks for a number of reasons. They wear them because they think they won’t get sick from the other 4 billion people they come into contact with daily. They also wear them because the air quality is gawd awful and they don’t like breathing in soot.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Newscasts feed as much crap to scare you as they can to get you to watch and follow closely. I’ve read that these experts think that covid-19 has been in the US for an extended period of time now. Majority of those infected and “presumptive positives” in the US aren’t even being hospitalized. No, its not because they don’t know how to treat it, but because they aren’t sick enough to be admitted. Those few that have died come for the sickest of the sick population- those in long term care. Lets not confuse long term care with assisted living and nursing homes. Theres a big difference.

For the time being this is a big overreaction, imo. Until it starts to kill some of the younger population with healthy immune systems I wont take it seriously. Looking forward to my trip to Oakland/San fran in 3 weeks… coffee

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Leaving for Nassau Bahamas on 3/7. Hope the borders aren’t closed by the 14th when we return

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Newscasts feed as much crap to scare you as they can to get you to watch and follow closely. I’ve read that these experts think that covid-19 has been in the US for an extended period of time now. Majority of those infected and “presumptive positives” in the US aren’t even being hospitalized. No, its not because they don’t know how to treat it, but because they aren’t sick enough to be admitted. Those few that have died come for the sickest of the sick population- those in long term care. Lets not confuse long term care with assisted living and nursing homes. Theres a big difference.

For the time being this is a big overreaction, imo. Until it starts to kill some of the younger population with healthy immune systems I wont take it seriously. Looking forward to my trip to Oakland/San fran in 3 weeks… coffee

Unless you’re watching ultra-sensationalized news, I think it’s pretty widely known that this affects the elderly and those with underlying health conditions the most.

The fact that this long term health care facility was able to dodge the flu but was the first affected by covid19, should be a big cause for concern. I’m sure we all know a lot of people that are high risk.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Unless you’re watching ultra-sensationalized news, I think it’s pretty widely known that this affects the elderly and those with underlying health conditions the most.

As does just about every other infection/disease that ever existed. That wasnt my point. We should all know that this is nothing more than a mild illness to the vast majority of the population. Its the fact that theres 4 pages of this conversation on a fishing forum (although theres been way worse). That the TV is saying every department store is sold out of hand sanitizer. Face masks are now backed up so far you couldnt get them in July if you tried.

The infection and death rate for coronavirus is essentially the same as the flu. Do we know the long term care facility didnt have residents die from the flu for sure? Or is that an assumption because it wasnt talked about on every nightly news station over the weekend?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The infection and death rate for coronavirus is essentially the same as the flu. Do we know the long term care facility didnt have residents die from the flu for sure? Or is that an assumption because it wasnt talked about on every nightly news station over the weekend?

The difference being that the flu has a vaccine that can significantly reduce the effects. We’re still a year away and far less is know about it. This has already reached and exceed SARS, MERS and could reach the level of H1N1 as far as number of people infected and overall mortality. This has already spread to more countries than all of the above and depending on how easily it can spread, it could get far worse.

I’m not sure where you’re getting your mortality rate comparison but the reported rate is somewhere around 2% with an actual rate nearer to 1%, possibly less. The flu this year is at 0.05%. That’s 20 times greater.

It’s every bit as significant as those outbreaks. People need to be aware and act appropriately. Seems that very few people know what they should be doing. People are hoarding things that have little or no benefit and aren’t doing the things that help slow the spread.

By May or June, this will likely be old news because it’ll probably fizzle out but until then, people need to be reminded to stay home when sick and practice good hygiene. We shouldn’t have to be reminded.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

what’s scary for people is the unknown. and there is a lot of we don’t yet know about this disease. Even the “known” data comes from historically unreliable sources like China.

Just because the media is blowing this out of proportion and their motivation is to sell papers (clicks) doesn’t mean this isn’t something to be concerned about. In the world of Trump, media has become the enemy for many people and people seem to be using the media’s involvement in this story to make blanket statements discrediting this as nothing more than fake news.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Because no one ever said that mad cow, SARS, bird flu, name you pandemic, was being over-hyped by the media before 2016. Heck, you guys get mad if the weatherman predicts 12″ of snow and it only ends up being 8″.

MNdrifter

Got a corporate email today from the security department at work. Seems I need to clear all outstate travel, even personal travel with management. With a possible 2 week “quarantine” at home after returning. I might just go ahead and book something. 😂. I wonder if lake of the woods next week is close enough to out state to qualify for the two weeks off, and if I need to use my sick time 🤷‍♂️? Gonna check with my manager tomorrow.

MNdrifter

Attachments:
    1. 2B239D73-08EC-46B4-903C-FDF8CB87497A.jpeg

MNdrifter

Looks like I’m safe. I was a snow creek berry junkie.

Attachments:
    1. B9D91F00-C6DA-4A69-95CF-D020A7D8C918.jpeg

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Peer reviewed article out of the new england journal of medicine says not to believe a lot of the numbers out there. Theres a lot of assumptions and estimates catching big headlines. They are my source for stating the mortality rate of the flu is similar to the coronavirus based on a few factors.

Link to the article is here: https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMe2002387

There are already stories in the Seattle area of people thinking they’ve been exposed seeking treatment but unable to get it. Sitting on the covid hotline for an extended period of time, primary doctors telling people to do different things. In one case a lady with all of the symptoms of covid-19 with a history of chronic bronchitis was told she doesnt qualify for treatment. They told her the only way she can get treatment at a healthcare facility is if she develops pneumonia first. How terrible is that? People have to wait until they’re on their death bed to see a medical professional?

My girlfriend is a nurse and the hospital shes at has absolutely no plan in case a patient comes in with the covid symptoms. Only thing they do is a quick, few question questionnaire that asks if the patient has been to china recently or if they are displaying the symptoms after the patient has gotten to the unit, likely exposing dozens of people along the way. If Covid spreads as much as it sounds like it could, why is going to China a prerequisite for treatment now that its supposedly spread to several states inland? Makes no sense. I also am a nurse that works at a different hospital and again, absolutely no plan. We dont even have that questionnaire to ask.

To me, either media is blowing this all out of proportion or our elected officials and health care leaders have done absolutely nothing in a very serious situation.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I just read this but didnt have time to check other sources. Like you said tbro until this starts killing healthy adults I’m not worried about my own safety but I do worry for my 3 year old and for my grandparents. Question for you since you work in the health field, will this die down you think with the warmer weather? Is it like a flu where it has a strong season and then it peters out in the summer? Maybe we dont know enough to know that yet

The head of the World Health Organization said on Tuesday that the global mortality rate for Covid-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus, was 3.4 percent.

Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the organization’s director general, said in a news conference in Geneva that Covid-19 was deadlier than the seasonal flu, but did not transmit as easily. “Globally, about 3.4 percent of reported Covid-19 cases have died,” Dr. Tedros said. “By comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1 percent of those infected.”

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Peer reviewed article out of the new england journal of medicine says not to believe a lot of the numbers out there. Theres a lot of assumptions and estimates catching big headlines. They are my source for stating the mortality rate of the flu is similar to the coronavirus based on a few factors.

I think I’ve stated that the mortality rate is less than stated at least three times in this thread. But there’s a difference between trusting the numbers and knowing what they mean. As I’ve said before, if you can’t determine how many people are infected, you can’t determine an accurate mortality rate. That doesn’t mean the rates being stated are not truthful.

On the flip side the article you linked stated a transmission rate of 2.1. If you can’t trust the mortality rates than you can’t trust this one either for the same reason. In this case the transmission rate would be higher than stated.

The efficiency of transmission for any respiratory virus has important implications for containment and mitigation strategies. The current study indicates an estimated basic reproduction number (R0) of 2.2, which means that, on average, each infected person spreads the infection to an additional two persons. As the authors note, until this number falls below 1.0, it is likely that the outbreak will continue to spread. Recent reports of high titers of virus in the oropharynx early in the course of disease arouse concern about increased infectivity during the period of minimal symptoms.6,7

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Question for you since you work in the health field, will this die down you think with the warmer weather? Is it like a flu where it has a strong season and then it peters out in the summer? Maybe we dont know enough to know that yet

From what I’ve read, we don’t know yet but there’s definitely a chance that warmer more humid weather can slow this down significantly. I read that SARS was likely contained due to a combination of warm weather and herd immunity. The herd immunity would’ve been due to a large number of infected people not knowing they were ever infected.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

My girlfriend is a nurse and the hospital shes at has absolutely no plan in case a patient comes in with the covid symptoms. Only thing they do is a quick, few question questionnaire that asks if the patient has been to china recently or if they are displaying the symptoms after the patient has gotten to the unit, likely exposing dozens of people along the way. If Covid spreads as much as it sounds like it could, why is going to China a prerequisite for treatment now that its supposedly spread to several states inland? Makes no sense. I also am a nurse that works at a different hospital and again, absolutely no plan. We dont even have that questionnaire to ask.

I am soooooo glad we work at different hospitals. We definitely have a plan of attack and I’m sure it’s continuously changing as things progress. There is no reason why your hospital wouldn’t have a plan…regardless how this works out, a major player (suck as hospitals) should be working on worse case scenarios…planning for the worse, hoping for the best right?

Also, So many of you guys should quit whatever job you have and go work for WHO! Couple google searches and you’re a master! I feel safe reading these posts and I’m going to share this info with our hospital to ensure we are doing things right!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Hospitals and airlines have plans and are implementing them. The state and federal governments have plans and are implementing them. I cant believe all the misinformation out there. Some of it is just plain malicious.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I just had two student athletes – both sent home for 14 days of “observation” following a spring break visit to Italy with their families. Italy is currently a “Level 3 Travel Warning” and this is the recommended procedure by the CDC. These poor young men are going to miss the start of their baseball seasons as a result of this and obviously will have to deal with the educational ramifications (trying to do nearly 3 weeks of school work from home).

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/coronavirus-italy

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I just had two student athletes – both sent home for 14 days of “observation” following a spring break visit to Italy with their families. Italy is currently a “Level 3 Travel Warning” and this is the recommended procedure by the CDC. These poor young men are going to literally miss the start of their baseball seasons as a result of this.

And all because the media overhyped this. roll

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buckybadger wrote:</div>
    I just had two student athletes – both sent home for 14 days of “observation” following a spring break visit to Italy with their families. Italy is currently a “Level 3 Travel Warning” and this is the recommended procedure by the CDC. These poor young men are going to literally miss the start of their baseball seasons as a result of this.

And all because the media overhyped this. roll

Italy just literally shut down all schools COUNTRY wide. I’m sure those two boys will be just fine missing 2 weeks (I love the “almost 3 week”) of school and the “beginning” of baseball season. The USA is no longer trying to stop this virus but now trying to slow it down.

The state of MN has roughly 6k ventilators…they are predicting around 30k ventilated patients due to this outbreak. If it comes all at once, we’ll be hosed. Keeping kids at home, quarantining folks is now just about slowing the outbreak down so we can manage it.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Don’t worry guys, based on a hunch I think the statistics presented by our world leaders in the health care field are wrong. Everything will be fine. Ive talked to all my neighbors about this and we all agree that our hunch is correct. Remember who the source of truth is – its not the WHO or CDC, all good people but they haven’t talked to my neighbors like i have. i have a hunch

We just need to get the market stable again by November and everything will be fine….

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Time for levity?

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0068-003.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Sadly, I must admit that I have given in to the panic.

I absolutely will not travel to the swim up bar. Not until I finish this beer. Until then I remain firmly quarantined in my sunlounger.

And notice that due to my crippling fear of the Corona virus I am only drinking Dos Equis.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20200305_125011462_HDR.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Sadly, I must admit that I have given in to the panic.

I absolutely will not travel to the swim up bar. Not until I finish this beer. Until then I remain firmly quarantined in my sunlounger.

And notice that due to my crippling fear of the Corona virus I am only drinking Dos Equis.

Grouse

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20200305_125011462_HDR-1.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Nice Grouse! peace

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Those are some smooth legs. What kind of razor do you use?

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 269 total)

The topic ‘Will Coronavirus Prevent You From Travelling?’ is closed to new replies.