Will Coronavirus Prevent You From Travelling?

• critter 1

I’m glad I have no trip planned. Too many unknowns. No definate answer how long the virus lives on surfaces, could be up to 9 days, Reporting is always behind what is actually happening. Where have the planes been before the flight your on? Where has the flight crew been. Who is or has been in your hotel or your room and who is cleaning them and how good a job is done. Did they clean a room with an infected person? Who is preparing your food? The bathroom in a plane? How are the the planes cleaned before flights? It could go on and on. Domestic flight I might go. An international hub on the coasts I don’t think so. what this will be like 2 months from now is anybody’s guess. I’d rather be home fishing anyway,

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Good points critter. I would argue that these items apply for just about every virus or bug out there that can infect you though. Wash your hands, and DON’T touch your face. Cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough too.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I think the point that the normal flu strain is killing more people is a valid point to ease concerns. I went to Florida a week ago and this thread had started before that. I never considered not going but it did make me think a little but honestly once it was warm-weather time I didn’t think about it once.

The one thing that sunk a little deeper was hearing about the US service member that it was just announced had gotten it in South Korea. I don’t know a lot of the details but I know the DOD takes matters like these very seriously so that’s kind of shocking.

I think you’re right to be concerned and educated about the matter but in my opinion (value=$0) you shouldn’t have much to worry about with this, as others have said domestically we’re fairly safe at the moment. Hope you enjoy your trip Lindy.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Someone at work today attempted to order respirators from McMaster Carr. Sold out.

Let the panic begin.

Deuces

My flooring distributors were out for a short while, they are fully stocked again.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Not cool living in a state dependant on people visiting from all over the world.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I think the point that the normal flu strain is killing more people is a valid point to ease concerns.

I just learned that this is a myth. There are numerous sources stating this. While the death rate of COVID-19 is probably overstated at 2.3%, the death rate is likely still 10-40 times greater than the flu. This season the flu death rate is at .05%.

http://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-myths.html

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

In Vegas right now. No concerns here in probably the soupiest spot of the country. None of the locals I asked about it were too concerned. Will let you know how it turns out in a week or so….

-J.

I hope it cant be transmitted by snoring

Cameron white

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dan wrote:</div>
    I think the point that the normal flu strain is killing more people is a valid point to ease concerns.

I just learned that this is a myth. There are numerous sources stating this. While the death rate of COVID-19 is probably overstated at 2.3%, the death rate is likely still 10-40 times greater than the flu. This season the flu death rate is at .05%.

http://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-myths.html

That stat came from China’s CDC. You really trust them?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Just imagine, if you can, the Media reporting EVERY case of the Flu, (that kills thousands here and hundred of thousands every year worldwide) like they are the Coronavirus cases ? They would have to cancel all “regular programming” to report them. meh

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

We’ve been to Mexico and back in the last 10 days and I didn’t see any masks being worn and nobody on either flight was worried, but then we didn’t have Asians on either flight. Come to think abut it, there were no Asians to be seen in Mexico either.

Not worried about it, not going to worry about it but I do think its time to know where people have been prior to allowing international travelers in the US especially if they have been in this illness’s hot spots.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

That stat came from China’s CDC. You really trust them?

Do you have different numbers?

The WHO is reporting this.

http://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019

http://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

As of 20 February, 2114 of the 55,924 laboratory confirmed cases have died (crude fatality ratio [CFR2] 3.8%) (note: at least some of whom were identified using a case definition that included pulmonary disease). The overall CFR varies by location and intensity of transmission (i.e. 5.8% in Wuhan vs. 0.7% in other areas in China). In China, the overall CFR was higher in the early stages of the outbreak (17.3% for cases with symptom onset from 1- 10 January) and has reduced over time to 0.7% for patients with symptom onset after 1 February (Figure 4). The Joint Mission noted that the standard of care has evolved over the course of the outbreak.
    Mortality increases with age, with the highest mortality among people over 80 years of age (CFR 21.9%). The CFR is higher among males compared to females (4.7% vs. 2.8%). By occupation, patients who reported being retirees had the highest CFR at 8.9%. While patients who reported no comorbid conditions had a CFR of 1.4%, patients with comorbid conditions had much higher rates: 13.2% for those with cardiovascular disease, 9.2% for diabetes, 8.4% for hypertension, 8.0% for chronic respiratory disease, and 7.6% for cancer.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

My two cents is everyone is missing the big point. Yes many people die each year from the flu, as biggil reported the coronavirus is more deadly and even a mild worldwide pandemic could equate to 10 million or so deaths in the next year. What is most concerning about the coronavirus is not the number of people who are dying it is the speed that the virus is spreading overwhelming health care facilities and services we all rely on in the outbreak areas. If this takes holds in the US how many are prepared for schools to close and their children having to stay home? How many days can you be quarantined from going to work and still make ends meet? What happens when the food processing plants we rely on cannot get enough unsick workers and food shortages start at the local grocery store? Most health care plans pay 80% of a hospital bill, catching the coronavirus could easily cost you 3000-4500 out of pocket expense. This could get ugly real fast and something I never thought I would have to worry about. I think US is a big country and not all areas are going to be hit at the same intensity but there will be rationing of some things if this gets going like we saw in China. Also who believes China? The death rate from coronavirus in Iran is in double digits, just don’t know who to believe. What I do believe is China would not have gone to such draconian measures and risk tanking their economy unless this coronavirus is something to truly fear. On a side note have to go to a work convention in Florida in two weeks and 15000 people or so attending from all over the world. Just got an email that it is still being planned to go on but if just one case of coronavirus shows up in Florida between now and two weeks I gotta believe this show attendance will crash.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

It’s simple. It’s a panic and concern cause it’s a new virus that we don’t know much about. Hopefully it’s nothing too serious but we just don’t know.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

My two cents is everyone is missing the big point. Yes many people die each year from the flu, as biggil reported the coronavirus is more deadly and even a mild worldwide pandemic could equate to 10 million or so deaths in the next year. What is most concerning about the coronavirus is not the number of people who are dying it is the speed that the virus is spreading overwhelming health care facilities and services we all rely on in the outbreak areas. If this takes holds in the US how many are prepared for schools to close and their children having to stay home? How many days can you be quarantined from going to work and still make ends meet? What happens when the food processing plants we rely on cannot get enough unsick workers and food shortages start at the local grocery store? Most health care plans pay 80% of a hospital bill, catching the coronavirus could easily cost you 3000-4500 out of pocket expense. This could get ugly real fast and something I never thought I would have to worry about. I think US is a big country and not all areas are going to be hit at the same intensity but there will be rationing of some things if this gets going like we saw in China. Also who believes China? The death rate from coronavirus in Iran is in double digits, just don’t know who to believe. What I do believe is China would not have gone to such draconian measures and risk tanking their economy unless this coronavirus is something to truly fear. On a side note have to go to a work convention in Florida in two weeks and 15000 people or so attending from all over the world. Just got an email that it is still being planned to go on but if just one case of coronavirus shows up in Florida between now and two weeks I gotta believe this show attendance will crash.

This ^^^

Everyone keeps talking about the low death rate. Death is not the only concern or high impact outcome that is possible with this outbreak

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’ve seen every medical expert say the same thing about wearing masks: they don’t reduce your chances of getting it or any other common bug out there. They do, however, greatly help prevent spreading something if you are already sick. So my question is, is everyone wearing a mask already sick in some way or another, or are they just oblivious to what the medical experts are saying?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

are they just oblivious to what the medical experts are saying?

This. Medical staff are also supposed to wear them. Unfortunately the dingbats buying up all the masks have no clue what they’re doing.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

The hospital I work at was somehow designated as the lone hospital in the Twin Cities to take patients that are showing coronavirus like symptoms from the aiport. I’ve also got a trip planned to northern California in a month.

I’d bet I’ve got a better chance at contracting the disease coming to work in St. Paul and spreading it to you “dingbats” than I do flying to the hotbed of current coronavirus cases.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

I’ve seen every medical expert say the same thing about wearing masks: they don’t reduce your chances of getting it or any other common bug out there. They do, however, greatly help prevent spreading something if you are already sick.

Who are these medical “experts”? Every hour on every unit in every hospital across the nation a nurse walks into a room with a mask but the patient who has the flu doesn’t put one on for their entire hospital stay. Seems backwards to me.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’d bet I’ve got a better chance at contracting the disease coming to work in St. Paul and spreading it to you “dingbats” than I do flying to the hotbed of current coronavirus cases.

Who are these medical “experts”? Every hour on every unit in every hospital across the nation a nurse walks into a room with a mask but the patient who has the flu doesn’t put one on for their entire hospital stay. Seems backwards to me.

http://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/when-and-how-to-use-masks

http://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-n95-face-masks.amp.html

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Just dug through my work emails for the first time in a long time (whoops). I stand corrected, per MN dept of Health, they are saying that all PUIs (patients under investigation) should be wearing a surgical mask themselves, along with health care workers.

And there lies the difference between the flu and whatever in the hell this is! Good to know. Glad the folks of Ido can point me in the direction of how to properly do my job waytogo jester

Although at this point they still are saying they will only investigate people who are showing signs and symptoms of having a lower respiratory illness along with traveling to China within 14 days of the symptoms beginning. I assume that will be changing soon, though.

Iowaboy1

nope,wont prevent me at all,I do my own flying and most of it is locally on sunny days,no wind.
    corona virus?? ick !! but knob creek syndrome is much worse if you forget to read the label !!

sorry guys,been a long week and I need some humor,and no,I dont find humor in folks getting sick.
    carry on.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

oh yea that brings a great question.. if you had the flu shots here in the usa
    does it make you more or less chance of corona??

The flu shot doesn’t do anything for caronavirus. There are no known vaccines, cures or treatments.

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

Just imagine, if you can, the Media reporting EVERY case of the Flu, (that kills thousands here and hundred of thousands every year worldwide) like they are the Coronavirus cases ? They would have to cancel all “regular programming” to report them. meh

to be fair, corona has not been around for very long. How long has the flu been around for? Two data sets that are not really comparable at this moment in time. Not to mention we know very little about corona. We know a lot about the common flu.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

to be fair, corona has not been around for very long. How long has the flu been around for? Two data sets that are not really comparable at this moment in time. Not to mention we know very little about corona. We know a lot about the common flu.

The flu virus was isolated in the 1930s and there was a vaccine in the 1940s. Coronavirus was isolated in the 1960s.

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

what did they call coronavirus in the 60’s? Cause this one is a new one. called covid-19
    also, the flu has been common since as long as I can remember with lots of data
    I had never heard of coronavirus until late last year with zero data of effects on the public

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>
    I’ve seen every medical expert say the same thing about wearing masks: they don’t reduce your chances of getting it or any other common bug out there. They do, however, greatly help prevent spreading something if you are already sick.

I wasn’t necessarily referring to a hospital or other medical venue. I would expect a nurse or other medical staff to be following their protocol. I was referring to general public locations. Every single person in China, Korea, Japan, etc seems to be wearing one and they do nothing to help prevent you from catching it; the masks ONLY help you from spreading it if you already have it. So again, my question is, why are the general public wearing them?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

So again, my question is, why are the general public wearing them?

It’s hard to know what other countries are being told but they may have an ample supply of them so they tell everyone to wear one so that people not showing symptoms don’t spread it. It might just be irrational thinking.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

what did they call coronavirus in the 60’s? Cause this one is a new one. called covid-19
    also, the flu has been common since as long as I can remember with lots of data
    I had never heard of coronavirus until late last year with zero data of effects on the public

In the 60s it was called coronavirus.
    Coronaviruses are a group of viruses that cause disease in mammals and birds. Just like “the flu” is a catch all for various strains of flu, and why the flu vaccine only vaccinates against select strains that they predict will be most prevalent in a specific year.

Significant specific strains of coronavirus get a fancier name. COVID-19 is this one and stands for COronaVirusDecember-2019. Other ones you might have heard of are SARS-CoV (“sars”)or MERS-CoV.

There have been a few voices calling for a coronavirus vaccine for years, but obviosly it wasnt deemed profitable. There is also is also fear during major bird or swine flu outbreaks because certain versions could possibly transmit to humans.

Just because “you’ve never heard” of something doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 269 total)

The topic ‘Will Coronavirus Prevent You From Travelling?’ is closed to new replies.