Will Coronavirus Prevent You From Travelling?

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Wife and I were thinking about taking the kids somewhere yet this winter. Likely Florida or something. Have to admit the Coronavirus deal has me thinking twice. What are your thoughts about travelling, specifically flying in the next few weeks?

Ice Cap

I thought the bird flu killed us all already! Go enjoy yourself.

AnotherFisherman

Wouldn’t stop me. I would think twice though if I was taking any kids with though. Kids and elderly tend to have weaker immune systems. I’m sure we will learn more as this thing drags on.

Brad Dimond

Costa Rica for Christmas, various other domestic stops during the year on the calendar.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Its not an issue unless you’re traveling to China. Florida is perfectly safe. Influenza is a much bigger issue here.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

What are your thoughts about traveling, specifically flying in the next few weeks?

The only places I’d worry about would be the ones that see large numbers of Chinese tourists. For the US this time of year, that’s really mainly Hawaii. It’s not fear of getting the disease, it’s the idea that big restrictions could come into place should there be an outbreak and travel to/from could turn into a HUGE hassle. That’s what I’d want to avoid.

Other than that, totally agree with…

Influenza is a much bigger issue here.

Seems like peole are going down left and right with delightful 50./50 mix if the A and B strains. My son got type B back before Christmas, now my basketball assistant coach has type A, but she’s a nurse and she said the nurses are running a betting pool on which type will take down the most nurses this season. So far B is winning, but A is coming on fast entering the home stretch…

Grouse

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Not if you pack limes.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

I’d have other concerns much higher on my list if planning on traveling to Florida

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’d have other concerns much higher on my list if planning on traveling to Florida

Lol this is awesome.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I travel for work…. They axed all China travel, not that I ever had to go there. I am not to worried about it.

Tom schmitt

I’m not worried at all, I drink mgd or Jim beam, never Coroña.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Yup, no traveling to China for me for a few weeks.

grizzly
    nebraska

leaving for Jamaica next wed. Cant wait

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I don’t plan on going to Wuhan anytime soon, so I guess that would be a no.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I would be more worried about the flu that’s going on here and across the states.
    12,000 deaths and up happen in the states each year from the flue.

Now, I agree with trying to prevent a new virus being introduced that may progress into something more.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Wife and I were thinking about taking the kids somewhere yet this winter. Likely Florida or something. Have to admit the Coronavirus deal has me thinking twice. What are your thoughts about travelling, specifically flying in the next few weeks?

I’ve been sick the last 3 days. Just say’n

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Just got back from week long trip to Texas this morning and I’m still alive. Have felt a little uneasy from too many beers and super hot buffalo wings though.

Anyway, no virus spread would prevent me from taking a vacation south, especially if its in the continental 48. That said, looking for health advice from a bunch of know-it-alls on a fishing website probably isnt your best bet either. Cheers! toast

Jim Stoeckel
    Above the clouds.

I work for a very large airline. They are in direct contact with the CDC every time there is some sort of breakout. The information we have received is to wash your hands regularly, avoid touching your face, and if you are still concerned about contracting the virus, face masks are being provided for flight crews that desire to wear them. They are continuing to fly to China, however on a reduced schedule for the time being. This guidance would be appropriate for not only flight crews, but also passengers. It has become fairly common now to see people within an airport as well as on the airplane to wear masks now.

B-man

I’m flying back home from work tomorrow….not really worried about the airport and the Coronavirus…..but my wife (an RN that works in the cities) said the regular seasonal Flu is skyrocketing in the Midwest.

Realistically that’s my (our) biggest risk here.

lindyrig79

Jim that’s good information thank you. Not really worried once our destination is reached, but the airports make me a little nervous with children.

I’m not sure anyone knows the scope of this yet?? It’s already surpassed the SARS thing… they have a cruise ship quarantined in Italy right now with a Chinese woman sick.

Then there are still flights pouring in to the US. Just saw a photo of Chinese people landing at LAX all with masks on. Russia is closing their border with China…. seems like maybe we should take a little more precaution here and maybe suspend more flights from China also?? crazy

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve been sick the last 3 days. Just say’n

I think you should be quarantined, just as a precaution.

Do you have any symptoms that indicate that you could be very sick? For example, do you have a fever, cough, sore throat, or are you a Bolts fan?

Grouse

Keith

I will be traveling to Orlando on Saturday for a trade conference. I am somewhat concerned, but not enough to cancel or postpone the trip. This conference is heavily attended by the Chinese and it will be interesting to see if their presence is impacted by their travel restrictions.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I think you should be quarantined, just as a precaution.

Do you have any symptoms that indicate that you could be very sick? For example, do you have a fever, cough, sore throat, or are you a Bolts fan?

Grouse

I know you be yanking my chain, but I need to indulge.

I used to never get sick. Now the last 3 winters or so I have gotten sick at least once. Sometimes I wonder if it is just bad allergies, because I usually don’t get a fever. I also check a lot of symptoms off, but all are mild, not severe. Lastly it takes more than a couple days to get well. I don’t know, maybe I am just getting old.

Best part was today talking to my boss on the phone she said she had a friend who was sick. Turned out to be his tear duct was infected causing him to have sinus ailment symptoms. Well, I have something going on with my tear duct. For the last 2 weeks I have a red spot and minor swelling. Time to make a Dr appt.

Ok, carry on

munchy
    NULL

Attachments:
    1. 84915217_10218484429317020_4646660456809758720_o.jpg

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The new cases and reported death numbers appear to be doubling or tripling every couple of days. I’m guessing they will find there are carriers who are either not sick yet or are just carriers and never do get sick.

Airport screening appears to be infrared scanning for people who are running a fever. They may very well discover this is only the tip of the iceberg. If that is the case, we will find out in short order.

-J.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Head to South Carolina and Vegas in February…Cross Lake this weekend.

Say a prayer for me!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The first human-to-human transmission has been confirmed in Chicago. As if you needed another reason to avoid that city…

lindyrig79

The WHO just declared a global emergency today.

Like I said… they should shut down or highly regulate who is coming into the US from anywhere in China until more is known. Can’t believe they haven’t already.

milemark_714

If it’s like everything else from China,it won’t last long razz

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

At this point I would not alter my plans for traveling. But to say I am not concerned would not be accurate, who cuts off the travel from a town of 11 million people unless they were really scared something terrible has been unleashed.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 269 total)

The topic ‘Will Coronavirus Prevent You From Travelling?’ is closed to new replies.