Wild 2015-16

• CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    Boudreau Boudreau Boudreau Boudreau!!!!!

208-104-40 and won 4 straight Pacific Division titles. Ya that’ll work. Now go get em’…RR

I know right? Yeah, he struggles in the playoffs, but hey, he year in and year out has a strong team. He would command respect on the bench and the locker room. I think that was a lot of the problem with Yeo is the players were about his age and they didn’t really care for listening to someone that could be skating with them. Just my take, but Boudreau would certainly change that.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Fletcher’s indecision is already putting the Wild at a disadvantage.

According to NBC, it sounds like Fletcher will be taking his sweet time in evaluating the coaching situation. Meanwhile, other teams are aggressively pursuing the top guns that came on the market with names like Boudreau and Hartley.

Earth to Fletcher. You knew you had to make a decision since you hung the “interim” label on Torchetti. What is the problem? Do you think other teams are going to stand in line and wait for you to make up your mind?

Like the Long Yeo Goodbye, another example of Fletcher’s bungling. The Wild won’t even get to interview Boudreau or Hartly is my prediction.

Grouse

mojogunter

Fletcher is in California now interviewing BB today and RC tomorrow according to Russo. As usual NBC has their head up their backsides. Could the NBC announcers be worse? It is really sad when I miss our terrible local announcers.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’m going to go out on a limb (not really) and say there is not a coach anywhere who can fix the make up of this team. 3 years repeating the same pattern. Even with the interim coach it was the same level of inconsistency.

Boudreau? No thanks. You want a coach who lead a team with a funk of its own at the start of last season?

I’ll pass on Hartley too. His record doesn’t impress me. And someone complained about Yeo being stoic, Hartley’s temperament behind the bench is no different.

Carlyle, he has a list of players who underachieved when he coached Toronto. Don’t think that’s what this team needs.

mojogunter

My guess it’s Boudreau or Carlyle though.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Bring back Lemire

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I HOPE Fletcher has finally gotten on his horse and made the trip out west, but there have been at least 2 yes-he-did-no-he-didn’t go-arounds on this so far when it comes to Boudreau. I see Russo claims he’s out in Cali now. I hope so.

But I don’t see what the problem was. Fletcher should have been out there the day after he got fired, what’s with the waiting game?

Boudreau? No thanks. You want a coach who lead a team with a funk of its own at the start of last season?

I don’t know. If that’s the worst that can be said about Boudreau…

Much is being made about this Game 7 thing as well, but again I’d have to say it’s a stretch to pass that as some kind of coaching failure. I guess I’m taking the glass half full look and saying look at the sheer NUMBER of teams this guy has taken to the playoffs and how deep they’ve run.

But overall, whether or not they pick Boudreau, here’s the point: That’s the experience level the Wild NEED to be shooting for. Compare Yeo to Boudreau and you’ll find…well…what you’ll find is there’s no freaking comparison when it comes to playing or coaching experience.

One thing I’d guess would NOT happen under Boudreau is him putting up with a bunch of silent, pouting, locker room Primadonnas dragging down team morale.

Grouse

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

One thing I’d guess would NOT happen under Boudreau is him putting up with a bunch of silent, pouting, locker room Primadonnas dragging down team morale.

I’m not convinced of that. I’m in I’ll believe it when I see it mode. Yeo had winning records despite deep slumps. We have 3 season under basically the same core of players who for 3 years have proven they are fragile and cannot deal with adversity or a few losses in a row.

Was it a reflection of the coach or the players, that I guess remains to be seen. But I do know what this team showed under a new coach already, an arguably polar opposite of Yeo, and it was more of the same.

Go Lightning!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Was it a reflection of the coach or the players, that I guess remains to be seen. But I do know what this team showed under a new coach already, an arguably polar opposite of Yeo, and it was more of the same

I agree this is the big question.

I guess the wildcard in the mix is how much will the gang get broken up this off-season? Is next year a do-over, or are big dealings in store that are going to change the roster in a bigger way?

The Wild don’t have any draft picks to deal, so to make any move that the Wild really need, that means multiple players departing. On top of that, there could be buyouts.

I’d like to see some bold moves because I think we’re in nothing to lose territory. A do-over Wild team will be at best a just-missed playoff team next year. In that regard, it matters only in terms of draft position so, again, how much do we really have to lose?

Grouse

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

The story I read about Boudreau was even though he was fired he still had a year left on his contract. There may not have been any opportunity to approach him until all the procedures were followed and permissions granted.

CaptainMusky

The story I read about Boudreau was even though he was fired he still had a year left on his contract. There may not have been any opportunity to approach him until all the procedures were followed and permissions granted.

correct. You have to receive permission from the team before approaching him. I am sure there is some gentleman’s agreement among GMs that you don’t call the day of or after for that approval.
    Boudreau apparently was with the St Paul fighting saints. So he was one of us. Lol
    I also believe he has ties in Ottawa so there’s that. Hartley doesn’t impress me. Don’t know much about Carlisle so I don’t consider him. There isn’t much out there.
    I agree there needs to be significant changes to the roster or whoever the new coach is will be coming in with a disadvantage already.

JoeMX1825
    MN

This team needs a defibrillation more than anything, I would start by somehow trading Mikko Koivu…send a message to the team that the old leadership is over and a new chapter will be opened soon…obviously the team wasn’t responding to whatever Captain Koivu was touting behind closed doors in the locker room during their annual slides….

mojogunter

Seems like a good plan to trade away your only true center, in a league where top 2 centers are so readily available. Heck pick up a new #1 and #2 while you’re at it. Trade away a guy that was 2 points behind Toews and Malkin. Skates 20 minutes a game. Plays against top lines. Plays on the PP and the PK. forth in the league for faceoff percentage. You don’t want that guy on your team.

This team needs a defibrillation more than anything, I would start by somehow trading Mikko Koivu…send a message to the team that the old leadership is over and a new chapter will be opened soon…obviously the team wasn’t responding to whatever Captain Koivu was touting behind closed doors in the locker room during their annual slides….

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Takes me back to a point a friend made about all the noise about how the Wild don’t have a “#1 Center” in Koivu.

If Koivu isn’t a “#1 Center”, than about half the league is in the same boat. And there are about 7 teams that not only are missing a #1 Center, but don’t have a #2 centerman either.

I agree, if there’s an offer on the table, all players should be considered. But with Koivu’s contract, there is about 0.01% chance of moving him in a trade deal that would be called anything other than “bizarre”. Sure, he could be part of a 9 team, 16 player, 18 draft choice deal…

Grouse

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Koivu will most likely spend his entire career as a member of the Wild. Teams just don’t move 2 way centers like him.

Koivu has been captain since 2009, long before the annual free falls.

mojogunter

Boudreau is the new coach. 4 year deal.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

How soon can we start blaming him for poor performance?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mojogunter wrote:</div>

Fletcher is the scapegoat now. Then Dubnyk is next.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That about seals it for me. 15 seasons as a wild fan and its time to start supporting the local team.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

According to NBC, it sounds like Fletcher will be taking his sweet time in evaluating the coaching situation. Meanwhile, other teams are aggressively pursuing the top guns that came on the market with names like Boudreau and Hartley.

Earth to Fletcher. You knew you had to make a decision since you hung the “interim” label on Torchetti. What is the problem? Do you think other teams are going to stand in line and wait for you to make up your mind?

Like the Long Yeo Goodbye, another example of Fletcher’s bungling. The Wild won’t even get to interview Boudreau or Hartly is my prediction.

Sorry to bring this back up but I think this is classic MN sports fan. Always expect mediocrity. The only exception is the wild, in my opinion.

I don’t think Boudreau is going to be the final answer this team needs, but I do think Fletcher is doing a good job with the hands he is being dealt. Attracting big name players and now big name coaches. Not something you’d expect from the other MN sports teams.

mojogunter

The wild had no choice but to hire a big name coach. I don’t mind the move. Fans would revolt if they hired another unproven guy. Better than Hartley, or Randy C.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Probably. Maybe if I stop following them then the curse will lift and you can have a parade past the capital.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If you quit now you have to change your name. LakeMarypug doesn’t have the same ring to it.

craig s

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mojogunter wrote:</div>

Fletcher is the scapegoat now. Then Dubnyk is next.

Agree about Dubnyk !!
    The wild will never make a legit run with dubs.he makes some great saves but also let’s in way to much junk…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Ok, I slept on it. This was the obvious and best desicion. He was absolutely the best option out there and management put their money where their mouth is.

I read in Russo’s blog he’s won the division title with the Caps and Ducks 8 out of 9 seasons.

He’s had post season issues, but that doesn’t bother me.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Sorry to bring this back up but I think this is classic MN sports fan. Always expect mediocrity. The only exception is the wild, in my opinion.

I don’t understand the comment. How is this “classic MN sports fan” to want the Wild to get the most experienced coach available at a time when they have a coaching decision to make? Expecting mediocrity? I was expecting The Chucker to make the obvious move and get the BEST. And so he did. Whew!

Bottom line is I don’t buy into taking a chance on an “up-and-coming” coach when Grade A experience is available. To me this is like the draft. You can WANT, you can NEED, but the bottom line is you can only pick what’s ACTUALLY available. Finally the Wild had the chance because need intersected with Boudreau being available. Pull the damn trigger!

I was just frustrated because as Pug says, this was the obvious best possible move for the Wild and I’m pleased to see Fletcher got the deal done. And now on to the draft and some stability going into the trade season.

Boudreau has the record, he has the experience behind the bench and on the ice. You won’t hear me complaining about coaching being the problem from here on out. If a guy like Boudreau can’t do it, no coach can fix whatever
    “it” is. Getting to the playoffs is one thing, but I’m not buying the line that Boudreau has some kind of playoff block. In the playoffs as they are now, all bets are off. Look at Caps / Pens series, Pens had the Caps in a very bad place until last night and it’s not over yet.

You can’t tell what’s going to happen and least of all if it goes to a game 7, so to call that a “coaching issue” strikes me as short sighted. Again, look at the fan and newspaper commentary on the Ducks letting Boudreau go. Mixed opinions at best. Anyone in MN saying bring back Yeo? Ummm, pretty quiet on that front.

This is a huge win for the Wild. The right coach at the right time. Now he and Fletcher have their work cut out for them, time to deal some players!

Grouse

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Before last season started we had the players. So it had to be the coach, coach got fired. Now we need new players? Is it the players? Was it the coach? Maybe it was Pugs curse?

Full moon, half moon, no moon? Who knows.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I don’t understand the comment. How is this “classic MN sports fan” to want the Wild to get the most experienced coach available at a time when they have a coaching decision to make? Expecting mediocrity? I was expecting The Chucker to make the obvious move and get the BEST. And so he did. Whew!

Wanting the best but expecting mediocrity. Classic MN sports fan.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Just hope Fletch can add a decent scorer. Although the scoring as a team started getting better at times and this team might always be a scoring by committee team. But I am concerned about losing some scoring with Parise. He has a herniated disc, right. If so, I can’t see him playing a full season the rest of his career.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Am I missing something here? How can people get upset with this hiring? Bruce has been one of the best coaches in the league the past 8 years. Can someone please tell me how they think this is a bad hire?

Viewing 30 posts - 1,051 through 1,080 (of 1,184 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.