Wild 2015-16

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That’s absolutely ridiculous. These new teams should have to suck it out a while, which they will any way. And I sure as heck hope that if they grab someone off your team that means you can extend a protection to 1 or 2 more players. I think that is what they did for the Wild/Jackets draft. OR maybe it was you could only lose a max 2 players?

mojogunter

I think the reason teams are willing to go to this new system for expansion teams, may have something to do with the $500,000,000 fee each expansion team has to pay. Just a shot in the dark guess on my part. shock

JoeMX1825
    MN

each of the 30 NHL team’s will lose 1 player per expansion team, so 2 new team’s = losing 2 players…

The last expansion draft, each team was allowed to protect I think 4-5 more players…makes a huge difference…Look at the junk we had to choose from vs what the next expansion teams will choose from…night & day…

oh I’m sure the owner will be fine with it…whomever our GM is after this season might disagree…

Dan
    Southeast MN

To borrow a Common Man-type phrase, I’m not a Great Expansion Draft mind.

However…..

Just guessing here, but I would assume that leagues want new teams to be decent enough to compete right away. I sort of compare it to the rewards the NFL and MLB give to teams that build new stadiums. You build a new football stadium and the NFL usually gets you a Super Bowl fairly soon, same thing with hosting the All-Star game in MLB. It’s like a way to reward the team for building their stadium and serves as a dangling carrot for those owners pondering the idea of getting a new stadium. I would think that leagues might want a similar situation for expansion teams; get them somewhat competitive right away so the fan base gets excited and spends money. If I remember right, the Jaguars and Panthers in football did fairly well early in their existances because of this.

JoeMX1825
    MN

yep, I can see that argument, just sucks that we had such a terrible talent pool to build from vs what new expansion teams will get…my god the players we started with…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

And we reached the Conference finals in our third year. The Panthers reached the Stanley cup in their 3rd year. It’s not like the current system is keeping them from competing right away.

The reward should be you get a team. You get the honeymoon period of packed rinks the first few season regardless of the talent.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

With the money they are dinging season ticket holders you need more then just a team, you need some name players that aren’t 35 years old.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

They will see them. They’ll just be on the opponents team. The first 2-3 years are the easiest from a marketing stand point. You don’t need to leech good players off other teams.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Lost all respect for Torch! Same power play unit that can’t do crap and same shoot out line up that can’t score. So damn frusterating!

Why wouldn’t you put your top scoring guys on the power play and the shoot out?

Haula, Needer, Coyle on your first line powerplay and shoot out

Dang this is hard to watch without yelling at the TV.

mojogunter

They scored on the PP tonight and have won 2 shootouts in a row. I know you are a big Haula fan, and he is playing great, but keep in mind I don’t see him facing top D pairings or shut down lines like the top lines are.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

If we can just find that guy Parise soon enough to save the season.

sticker

They scored on the PP tonight and have won 2 shootouts in a row. I know you are a big Haula fan, and he is playing great, but keep in mind I don’t see him facing top D pairings or shut down lines like the top lines are.

Yeah, but who scored on the shoot outs? Coyle, not Parise not Kuovu. My point is that he is doing the same thing Yeo was doing. Send the same guys out there whether they are doing well or not.

CaptainMusky

Yeah, but who scored on the shoot outs? Coyle, not Parise not Kuovu. My point is that he is doing the same thing Yeo was doing. Send the same guys out there whether they are doing well or not.

It sure highlights that the inmates are running the asylum doesn’t it?
    I don’t have a problem with Haula getting PP time. I fear that if he gets much more ice time his game will suffer. Lets be happy he is producing with the time he is getting now. Last game he was around 18 Mins, that is pretty dang good for him. He was plodding along below 10 not all that long ago so clearly he is getting rewarded for his play.
    He has an important job which is usually matching up against some of the top guys defensively and on the PK. PP time will take away from his strengths.
    Hopefully when Pominville comes back he gets his game back right away not the first 80% of this season. That would be a nice scoring touch added.

sticker

My post wasn’t about getting Haula more ice time really, it was about getting new blood on the PP and in the shoot out. Put Needer out there, or Granny on the shoot out. The fact that he is running the same 3 out to the shoot out every time and only one of them is scoring. Koivu can’t even hit the net on the shoot out. Parise isn’t a stick handler, he’s a scrapper and a rebound guy. you don’t get rebounds in the shoot out. Heck put Dumba out there on the shoot out and let him wind the clock from the top of the circle!

CaptainMusky

Heck put Dumba out there on the shoot out and let him wind the clock from the top of the circle!

I would like to see that. Ala Rolston.
    I agree, someone new out there would be good, but I think its still pressure (whether perceived or in reality) from the vets to be on that shootout or in other key game situations.
    I knew it was going to take time to see what mark Torch could put on this team, so far he is falling into many of the same traps that Yeo was in. Makes you wonder.

sticker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sticker wrote:</div>
    Heck put Dumba out there on the shoot out and let him wind the clock from the top of the circle!

I would like to see that. Ala Rolston.
    I agree, someone new out there would be good, but I think its still pressure (whether perceived or in reality) from the vets to be on that shootout or in other key game situations.
    I knew it was going to take time to see what mark Torch could put on this team, so far he is falling into many of the same traps that Yeo was in. Makes you wonder.

I couldn’t agree more!!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

How about we just win in Reg/OT the rest of the way and not worry about shoot outs. And I’m not going to complain about the PP which has scratched and clawed itself back to 13th in the league at around 18%.

There is no point in playing Haula on the PP with how the PP has been recently and he doesn’t need more ice time when he’s a big part of our PK, which too has been much better lately.

mojogunter

Now listen here Mr. Pug. This is no place for sound logical comments. The wild are soft, bring back Chris Simon. That will turn things around. jester

[ quote=1608636]How about we just win in Reg/OT the rest of the way and not worry about shoot outs. And I’m not going to complain about the PP which has scratched and clawed itself back to 13th in the league at around 18%.

There is no point in playing Haula on the PP with how the PP has been recently and he doesn’t need more ice time when he’s a big part of our PK, which too has been much better lately.

[/quote]

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

On a some what related note. Torch has preached bodying guys, “no more stick checks”! Problem is, I saw an awful lot of that again last night. What is wrong with this team. The guys who are body checking are the ones having success, Nino and Haula in particular. Maybe the only exception is Parise, who always plays the body. You’d think these guys seeing Haula, Fonzie and Nino would pick up on their lead. And that’s playoff hockey too. Nothing can elevate a average team more than committing themselves to finishing checks, except of course a hot goalie. Heck, we witnessed in in 2003 when guys like Laaksonen and Park were finishing checks.

Makes you wonder, huh? Also Parise is steeped in a slump. Familiar? Makes you wonder, huh?

Also, notice how Nino and Haula are playing with a little bitterness? Haula isn’t shy about getting into it in crease scrums after a whistle.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Think Backs was liked?

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20160323_161223.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I can understand with the PP where a coach would be hesitant to start moving too many pieces around in the middle of a playoff race. A coach has to think to himself, yes it could get better. Or it could get worse! Problem is the Wild are just doing enough on the PP that I can understand if Torch is hesitant to mess with it. For now.

There’s no figuring out this Wild team right now. They struggle against cellar dwellers and then beat high end playoff teams.

What the heck is wrong with Parise? Find the net, dang nabbit.

Grouse

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If we can just find that guy Parise soon enough to save the season.

Looks like backstrom was all he needed.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

And who seriously thought that Backstrom couldn’t help the wild win anymore?

sticker

Parise gets a hattie in the first period and the powerplay scores a couple. I like Backstrom even more now that he is gone toast

deertracker

No Wild talk after the big win today?
    DT

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

DT, it was the Avs. That’s like being surprised if the Yankees beat the Twins. jester

CaptainMusky

DT, it was the Avs. That’s like being surprised if the Yankees beat the Twins. jester

I don’t care who ya are that’s funny right there…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I had yard work to do and just finished watching the dvred game. Nothing like playing the Avs. We own them.

I will now be very shocked if the Wild don’t get in the playoffs. Nice to see Parise back.

Now I have to find a ber in islamorada that will carry the game when we get married. toast

Also,barring some collapse, we know who the head coach next year will be. Welcome to the Torch era.

deertracker

I didn’t think we would loose, it was just an important game in the points race.
    DT

sticker

I didn’t think we would loose, it was just an important game in the points race.
    DT

Yes it was and a great effort to get it done! smash smash

Viewing 30 posts - 871 through 900 (of 1,184 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.