Why does Seaguar Ice X line only come in 50 yards and up to 8lbs?

• usmarine0352

Was looking at buying this stuff for ice season this year because of recommendations on this forum.

Just wondering why it only comes in 50 yard spools and only up to 8lbs test?

Also, is there any other ice lines that anyone recommends for bobber fishing in heated, permanent ice shacks?

Cameron white

Ice reels generally don’t have much capacity, or need to have more than 50 yds unless your fishing deep water. It’s also marketing. They sell more line if in smaller spools. If your in a heated shack, use whatever you want.

DT

Its marketing. Pay through the nose for 50 yards because its “special” line. I wonder what version of open water line is the rebranded Seaguar Ice X line?

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

In most ice fishing situations one is merely just dropping a line straight down the hole probably no more than 35 feet. That’s just a bit more than 10 yards and figure that 25 yards of line would be plenty.

Again with vertically fishing, there’s no excessive line rubbing against underwater structures like rocks, timber, zebra mussels etc., … Just probably the edge of the bottom of the ice hole, thus not so much a requirement for heavy lines.

When I first started, I used line’s like 20# on a jiggle stick. 10-14# on my spinning reel with bobber and minnow or waxies. Then eventually I got better spinning reels started to drop my line to the 4# and 6# test and saw that I got way more bites on the 4# over the 6# line. More importantly was paying attention to the actual line diameter as some 4# are as thick as 8# and some 4# are more like a 3# line diameter.

Stroft GTM 5X 5.28# test .15 mm line diameter is about same as Pline Flouroice .15 mm 3# line diameter.

Yozuri Hybrid .235 mm 4# line diameter is about same as Maxima Ultragreen .25 mm 8# line diameter.

Ripjiggen

Ice reels generally don’t have much capacity, or need to have more than 50 yds unless your fishing deep water. It’s also marketing. They sell more line if in smaller spools. If your in a heated shack, use whatever you want.

X2 regular mono on a bobber rod has worked for more years than I have been alive.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Not sure what you’d need more than that for? Unless you fish Superior a lot.

usmarine0352

In most ice fishing situations one is merely just dropping a line straight down the hole probably no more than 35 feet. That’s just a bit more than 10 yards and figure that 25 yards of line would be plenty.

Again with vertically fishing, there’s no excessive line rubbing against underwater structures like rocks, timber, zebra mussels etc., … Just probably the edge of the bottom of the ice hole, thus not so much a requirement for heavy lines.

When I first started, I used line’s like 20# on a jiggle stick. 10-14# on my spinning reel with bobber and minnow or waxies. Then eventually I got better spinning reels started to drop my line to the 4# and 6# test and saw that I got way more bites on the 4# over the 6# line. More importantly was paying attention to the actual line diameter as some 4# are as thick as 8# and some 4# are more like a 3# line diameter.

Stroft GTM 5X 5.28# test .15 mm line diameter is about same as Pline Flouroice .15 mm 3# line diameter.

Yozuri Hybrid .235 mm 4# line diameter is about same as Maxima Ultragreen .25 mm 8# line diameter.

What do you use?

I was thinking Fluro bc of its abrasion resistance with Walleyes and Northern.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>slipperybob wrote:</div>

What do you use?

I was thinking Fluro bc of its abrasion resistance with Walleyes and Northern.

I use a variety of different lines from different manufactures. I’ve used Stren, Berkley, Pline, ASSO, Stroft.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.